• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Spartanlemur

The Bad Guy
113 Badges
Apr 20, 2012
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Gettysburg
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV
Conquer half of Ireland as Norse and 8,000 peasant rebels spring up. They are soon joined by 6,000 more rebels and then another 10,000.

I surrender and get this, Ireland KEEP their rebels. Yup, the peasants (who the game represents as having martial prowess not far off that of vikings, despite these people probably having nothing more than pitchforks and knives) seem to now have abandoned their fields and become full-time militia (guess their god will send them food from the sky); militia who cut through my inferior numbers of cavalry and huscarls like butter with their knives and pitckforks.

Every game I play on Ironman gets ruined by this stupid bug, and I'm seriously getting fed up with Crusader Kings 2 the game at this point.

I can't see anything on the bug forum so I assume this is WAD, but should it be? Personally I find the idea of gigantic death-stacks which trump every army in the known world spawning from sparsely populated backwaters to be ridiculous.

Liberation revolt. Form the kingdom of Ireland and you can stop them.

At this point, CK2 does have a serious problem with lack of UI feedback (the hint system is cumbersome, the tutorial system is out of date and to be honest I suspect both miss too much). I'm not holding my breath about them improving it. But hey, keeps the forums busy.

The game is very easy without these sorts of events. For gameplay reasons alone these stacks are welcome.

The game isn't supposed to be hard for the sake of being hard, but hard through its representation of realistic challenges.

Update: 20 years later, the deathstack of 23k troops remain, and I've been absent from Ireland for that period.

These rebels can indeed improve the game, but there are realistic numbers of units (tied to province supply or holdings) and there are the numbers which the game currently presents.

I get pissed off when things like this happen......but we're not playing Sim City here.

At the end of the day, CK2 is a game in which you can go from hero to zero in a matter of minutes. You've got to be able to roll with the punches.

I get pissed off when things like this happen......but we're not playing Sim City here.

At the end of the day, CK2 is a game in which you can go from hero to zero in a matter of minutes. You've got to be able to roll with the punches.

I don't think his issue is that he went 'from hero to zero' so quickly, but the fact that it was done in such an unrealistic way that make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I don't think his issue is that he went 'from hero to zero' so quickly, but the fact that it was done in such an unrealistic way that make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Well, peasant revolts caused major havoc in the Middle Ages......you can't play a Medieval Sim and then complain about peasant revolts IMHO lol.

Unrealistic? Heathen norsemen took over these green isles granted to us by Heaven Itself! Fellow Irishmen, if there was ever a time we put aside our differences and unite to push these heathens back into the sea, now would be it!

For some reason, people enjoy their independence and cultural homogeneity, especially if there are foreign invaders involved. When I invade provinces of foreign cultures or infidel religions, I -expect- them to eventually revolt against me, the racist bastards. Placing your Marshal in the worst of areas can help with reducing their revolt risk, as can some events. Put high-steward vassals in charge of those provinces and you can expect them to accept your culture more quickly. Converting the province helps pacify them some, too.

I like that they revolt against me. I do find, however, that while they usually pop up at random if the opportunities are right, similar revolts occur a LOT more often if I let them fester too long (say, if in conquest against More foreign infidels). Sometimes it's rough, but you can use mercs and standard terrain tactics to cut them down.

The game isn't supposed to be hard for the sake of being hard, but hard through its representation of realistic challenges.

Update: 20 years later, the deathstack of 23k troops remain, and I've been absent from Ireland for that period.

These rebels can indeed improve the game, but there are realistic numbers of units (tied to province supply or holdings) and there are the numbers which the game currently presents.
Its entirely realistic as thevmag writes. What would be unrealistic is the notion the Norse could take and hold Ireland without facing a very real challenge to their dominion.

Its entirely realistic as thevmag writes. What would be unrealistic is the notion the Norse could take and hold Ireland without facing a very real challenge to their dominion.

I could understand it at first: 8,000 men which matched my soldiers, raised in all of Denmark and Northern England (a tough challenge), but the 24,000 number is what really bugged me. Definitely twice as large as the maximum it should have been; the level at which it would have provided a challenge yet been realistic. Peasant rebellions turning into hordes which would make Genghis Khan squirm is a little OTT.

You let the threat sit there for too long. More and more Catholic Irishmen started to see how unwilling the Norse were to defend their hold, and become more bold. More and more men dropped their hoes and grabbed their axes, marching against the jarls and burning down longhouses.

There's a lot more than 8,000 men in the island, and a lot more than 24,000. The longer you let the revolt go on, the more they gain support.