• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Who really cares about what it could have been? We could talk all day about what we'd like to see in this game... but we're getting what we're getting, which is an expansion about charlemagne. how about we all just be grateful for new dlc on a 2 year old game? Let's talk about why Charlemagne will probably be awesome. Take things for what they are, not what you want them to be; you'll enjoy them much more!

Um...the borders of the medieval world didn't suddenly end at the eastern frontier of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. In fact, Western Europe was a bit of a crap place compared to the East. That's why it annoys me so much when people speak as if the Catholic west is the only thing in the game that matters and everything else is just a garnish.

And this was never the case with CK2 before Rajas of India. There is Persia, Central Asia and Northern Africa which is more than enough.

And this was never the case with CK2 before Rajas of India. There is Persia, Central Asia and Northern Africa which is more than enough.

Persia and Central Asia were all screwed up before RoI though. A massive chunk of Persia was missing, and from what I've heard there were major areas in the wrong location because they were important (and thus Paradox didn't want to leave them out) but they were located off the map.

When i saw that there was a new DLC coming out for CK2 i was Excited. Many of the DLC's that Paradox had released for CK2 have been enjoyable and full of content. But when i saw the trailer and read the features for the DLC i was a bit disappointed. I was really hoping that Paradox would release a Chinese Expansion, or at the very least, a new batch of events and features, or a expansion that focuses on Theocracies or creating and leading a Mercenary Company of Holy Order.

While i will probably buy this i do still fell a bit let down. This DLC will probably good and this isn't a ''hang Paradox for what they have done'' type post, but a discussion on what this DLC could have been.

There is never going to be a Chinese expansion

Stop asking

I can't say I'm fussed about Charlemagne at all, but the added features (mainly seasons and Kingdom customiser), plus the extended start date is something to be excited about. All those small kingdoms in Britain are making me giddy, and will probably take me back to the days of Medieval Total War - Viking Invasion.

is the charlemagne dlc announcement a let down? - yes

is the charlemagne dlc a let down? - can't tell yet. We need more information.

this.

I'm not disappointed at all. I love the Low Middle Ages/Dark Ages era, and though I would have preferred a slightly earlier start, the current push-back is certainly appreciated.

No, not a let-down at all. Quite a relief, actually.

Focusing on Karl den Store sounds promising. Hopefully it turns the game back to the roots of Europe and dark ages. And even a little bit before that, I suppose. The build-up all the way from the downfall of the Roman empire to the feudal states are, in my opinion, interesting.

Also, seeing how Karl and the Pope tangled, I also hope some conclusions are drawn on that bond, and maybe result in closer ties with the importance of Christianity in western Europe.

If modifications are made to Kingdoms, I hope they are not necessarily aimed at making everything easier, as in customizible "for free", but rather customizable in terms of realism and/or diversity, or at a cost. That said, it sounds awesome.

I don't understand the culture hype either. Cultures play really trivial role in the game.

Culture is a fun RP-element. In my latest game, half of Europe was Polish. It's fun to se a Polish Denmark and a Polish Germany. But yes, it is trivial. Still fun. If I convert to an EU4-game, even more so.

@OP: the devil will be in the details. I reserve my comments until the expansion lands on my computer.

Persia and Central Asia were all screwed up before RoI though. A massive chunk of Persia was missing, and from what I've heard there were major areas in the wrong location because they were important (and thus Paradox didn't want to leave them out) but they were located off the map.

Pretty much this. Nor do I see why North Africa, the Steppes and Central Asia are "more than enough", given that they were all incomplete up to RoI, and again, you emanate the assumption that Christendom is somehow of greater importance than anything else in-game.

This is a really disappointing DLC announcement but Chinese expansion would be much much worse. I really wish they'd add an option to remove India from the map instead of expanding the game to regions this game is totally not about.

This. It's absurd we now need to play our "Crusader"-games while the happenings in India drag the framerate/speed down. There's no option to go back to the original (disable DLC won't cut it?).

I think India should have never been added, and adding China would just be ridiculous.

+1
It seems that players AND paradox developpers need to be reminded that the title of the game is CRUSADER kings. Not "Rise of Feudalism" or "Age of Blobs".
Crusades are still bland. You still have to use mods to give the conquered holy lands to cadets. There are still no specific events for crusades. You still never see Venice conquering Krete and Kypros.

I was a bit let down by the introduction of new cultures because I wanted to see more flavour for cultures and I believe that the more we have, the less likely we'll get an adequate culture DLC.

+1
It seems that players AND paradox developpers need to be reminded that the title of the game is CRUSADER kings. Not "Rise of Feudalism" or "Age of Blobs".
Crusades are still bland. You still have to use mods to give the conquered holy lands to cadets. There are still no specific events for crusades. You still never see Venice conquering Krete and Kypros.

Oh god, please stop, no. Not another of these 'the title of the game is x' arguments.

+1

Buuh, the cities in "Cities in motion" doesn't acctually move. It's only the trains/buses/cars/whatever that acctually moves.

Buuh, you can play nations outside of Europe in "Europa Universalis".

Buuh, Victoria 2 isn't centered around queen Victoria at all

Buuh, Hearts of Iron does not feature Iron Hearts.

And so on... It's a title. Not a compleat declaration of what the game is about.