Cities: Skylines, New City Builder by PDX and Colossal Order Announced

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MalinS

Queen of Pie
6 Badges
Jan 7, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Cross-post from the general forum!
EDIT: This was somehow not posted and I didn't notice until super late after the announcement, meaning there are already threads started by fans. Sorry about the hiccup people!

The Sky is Not the Limit in a New City-building Simulator from Colossal Order
COLOGNE, GERMANY — 14 August 2014 — Paradox Interactive revealed at Gamescom today an all-new city-building simulation game, Cities: Skylines, which will be coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs in 2015.

Developed by Colossal Order, the simulation virtuosos behind the Cities in Motion series, Cities: Skylines pulls players out of the public transportation offices and grants them the power of true urban planning and development. From zoning to building, from utilities to beautification, and from taxation to outreach, players of Cities: Skylines will have total control in endless sandbox gameplay across massive maps – all with extensive built-in mod support.

Clear some real estate on your screen for a Cities: Skylines trailer:
[video=youtube;lxfeBpagvQw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxfeBpagvQw&hd=1[/video]

Paradox and Colossal Order invite players to create the cities of their dreams in Cities: Skylines, a massive city simulator from the creators of the Cities in Motion series. Vast backdrops and maps provide players with countless ways to improve and expand their cities, building from humble beginnings up to beautiful, cloud-hugging structures and unique architectural marvels.

Cities: Skylines will Feature
  • Designed to Impress: Massive map sizes and deep, detailed design controls allow players to construct the cities of their dreams, running everything from road building and zoning to public services and taxation – and, yes, public transportation
  • Policy and Progress: Set a series of civic policies to guide the city’s growth; fine-tune the placement and direction of local districts
  • Local Beautification: Admire the vastness of your city in a polished visual style and manage a living, breathing city, all the way down to realistic water flow in the irrigation systems
  • The Sky is Not the Limit: Strive to build up a city towards jaw-dropping endgame “wonders,” and then go beyond what is possible with built-in game modding tools

For more information on Cities: Skylines, visit www.citiesskylines.com

My first impression: This game wants to target Sim City players. Even though it is not looking bad already, I find it not quite as pretty looking as Sim City. It is just a little better than CiM. I understand it is early stage but in my eyes there needs to be improvement in terms of MANY different road/footpath/track textures, more houses, more contrast --> better artwork! Then it could be nice.

Is it just a Sim City like game or will it have part of CiM functionality? I thought it would be easier to add the shown functionality to Cities in Motion by a City Builder DLC or something, not other way round. But I am courious what will come.
I hope this will be just another name for CiM 3.

EDIT: I just found the link to the screenshots and I must say I like the detail is more colourful and contrast than CiM. It is promising!

Last edited:
My first impression: This game wants to target Sim City players. Even though it is not looking bad already, I find it not quite as pretty looking as Sim City. It is just a little better than CiM. I understand it is early stage but in my eyes there needs to be improvement in terms of MANY different road/footpath/track textures, more houses, more contrast --> better artwork! Then it could be nice.

Hm, it looks much better than the plastic buildings of SimCity. Even CiM 2 look much better and more realistic than SimCity. The only problem of CiM 2 (in this regard) is the lack of building variety.

That's great news. I hope this game can be the sequel for SC4 that Maxis wasn't able to deliver.

And please, find a good solution for the game interface, CiM2 was a mess. I agree with BACKTIMER, artwork seems as good as CiM2 never was.

I have 4 questions about CSL(Cities skyline)

1.Looks like no day/ night cycle ???

2.If we build the big city , we can use cim2 to play the bus tram and other public transportation system ?

3.The same Engine about the cim2 , we can use cim2 bus?

4.Have the same ui about the cim2 ?

Well for a start, since it is being developed by a team who already know how to make one-way roads, there are likely to be one-way roads without resorting to mods. That is already a great tool in reducing traffic jams compared to SimCity! I am looking forward to this game :)

For some reason I am not exited at all about this.

Seriously abandoning a game like CiM2 with such huge potential pretty much immediately after release ( which you evidently must have done to get this far into development of Cities ) just turns me off as a previously loyal fan.

Cities in Motion 2 was released April 2, 2013. That is one year and 4 months ago.

And the DLC strategy is borderline fraud, since the artists can't work on the next game in such early phase they pump out meaningless "fluff" DLCs that players buy not because they really want them but because they are loyal and want to support the devs so they can fix the real problems and make the game shine ( which as we know today will never actually happen ).

Will this game like CiM2 also be abandoned by Paradox and by Colossal order on day one of it's release? And only recieve minor patches fixing smaller problems and art DLCs while the programmers immediately move on to another project???

Seriously abandoning a game like CiM2 with such huge potential pretty much immediately after release ( which you evidently must have done to get this far into development of Cities ) just turns me off as a previously loyal fan.

Cities in Motion 2 was released April 2, 2013. That is one year and 4 months ago.

And the DLC strategy is borderline fraud, since the artists can't work on the next game in such early phase they pump out meaningless "fluff" DLCs that players buy not because they really want them but because they are loyal and want to support the devs so they can fix the real problems and make the game shine ( which as we know today will never actually happen ).

Will this game like CiM2 also be abandoned by Paradox and by Colossal order on day one of it's release? And only recieve minor patches fixing smaller problems and art DLCs while the programmers immediately move on to another project???

You have a point. They already said that they have plans to make yet another transport simulation during or after Skylines on one of these threads.

Well said. Sorry CO, but I do not trust you anymore. To be honest I feel kind of like a nerd who is lured by devs to buy another game which will not be properly developed because there will be yet another game. And also buy a lot of DLC's on the way. I also don't fell the devs really have heart for this game and play it themselves, they just publish them, fix the most apparent bugs in 1 - 2 patches and move to the next project... :(

Last edited:

I'll second that as well. I would rather wait for a while before jumping in with both feet...

I'll second that as well. I would rather wait for a while before jumping in with both feet...
Agreed, I got burned with this game by pre-ordering. I think I will wait to see what people say about the next game. Still quite pissed about what we got handed and still have with CiM2. Certainly not the game promised.

Cities: Skylines will Feature
  • Designed to Impress: Massive map sizes and deep, detailed design controls allow players to construct the cities of their dreams, running everything from road building and zoning to public services and taxation – and, yes, public transportation
  • Policy and Progress: Set a series of civic policies to guide the city’s growth; fine-tune the placement and direction of local districts
  • Local Beautification: Admire the vastness of your city in a polished visual style and manage a living, breathing city, all the way down to realistic water flow in the irrigation systems
  • The Sky is Not the Limit: Strive to build up a city towards jaw-dropping endgame “wonders,” and then go beyond what is possible with built-in game modding tools
Has anyone noticed this!

Has anyone noticed this!

I noticed the words "build-in game modding tools", but oh my faith is gone!

The reason I loved CIM1 so much were the rich and unlimited extras supplied by the modders, who made the game exciting and entertaining. And one of the main reasons so many of us, including myself, are frustrated with CIM2 is the lack of modability by users. If I don't mistake anything, CO are going to use the same (near unmoddable) Unity engine for CS that they used for CIM2. "Built-in" I translate as yet another built-in ruleset, and we all know how well this worked in CIM 2 (or not!).

As much as I think CS could be an awesome, interesting and fun game; I somehow fear CO will deliever another half-baked, half-working version. :(

But maybe they'll surprise us? I just won't give up my hope yet, the new game sounds just too exciting.

Last edited: