• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rwatso

Sergeant
82 Badges
Jan 25, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
I have noticed that military technology spreads relatively evenly across the major powers of Europe during the game. As a result, it seems most provinces have the same fort level (within 0.5 or so) across whole realms and even between different realms. In my current game it is 5.5. 90 percent of france has level 5.5 forts for baronies (the keep looking ones). The bishoprics are all 2.5. The towns 2.1. Its the same in England and HRE. Is that really realistic? Were defenses in London really the same as Cornwall? Wouldn't it be more fun if there was variation in the fort levels, and also more historical?

Fort levels don't matter for crap in vanilla anyway. Simply siege with 1 man more than the garrison level and you win, all you do is wait. I really hate the siege mechanic in this game.

Fort levels don't matter for crap in vanilla anyway. Simply siege with 1 man more than the garrison level and you win, all you do is wait. I really hate the siege mechanic in this game.
Yeah, wouldn't mind EU4 style system.

However both games fail to portray sieges where the defender sallied forth and routed the invader - there's the event in CK2 but it just kills a predetermined percentage of the enemy.

And different fort levels visible in the map a'la Sengoku, please! (edit: for the main holding)

Fort levels can be important for Norse because it may block you from sailing through rivers.

They slow down the besieger giving you time to rally reinforcements to chase away the enemy. With a weak fort it can fall before you have the chance to rally.