• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dark3001

Recruit
1 Badges
Nov 13, 2011
  • Cities in Motion 2
So I just bought the game from steam. I was a casual CiM1 player, and kinda like CiM1.
I thought CiM2 is supposed to be a better game than a CiM1, but kinda disappointed.
At times I hoped they had just fix some issues in CiM1 and probably add a bit of extra features, then release it as CiM2.
Such as, make (last few) passengers enter the vehicles faster, larger and more useful helicopters, real-time in-game clock etc.
Enough about CiM1, I would like to address issues with CiM2 (1.6.3 if you're wondering).

I was actually very excited about the real-time in-game clock. But that's pretty much the only nice feature.
I actually read the FAQ thread, which was there since April 2013, and I'm still seeing some issues in my game currently.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?680194-Cities-in-Motion-2-FAQ-(with-replies-from-Colossal-Order)

In the tutorial map, I was instructed to build some bus lines.
Quite some words to read, but it's ok. Problem is that the bus stops are very hard to see.
In contrast to CiM1, where the stops were quite easy to see and adding stops into any transport lines was a breeze, stops in CiM2 were too small.
I could zoom in to find the stops, but then I had to scroll a lot to find the next stops, and so on.
Shouldn't you adopt similar visual effects from CiM1 that worked quite well to let players see the stops clearly from zoomed out view?

The tram tracks were quite hard to connect as well.
Building straight tracks was OK, but it gets exponentially harder when trying to connect the tracks at a turn or any junction.
I had to zoom all the way in, then try my luck by hovering my mouse over the tracks, and pray that it gets connected.
This made me spent about 5-10 minutes in each turn, which I think is quite ridiculous.
Why should it be so hard to build tram tracks?

Next I'll quote the issues from the FAQ thread:
It's hard to build underground metro. You can't see it under the roads."
We are currently working on a fix for the underground mode. The roads need to be seen, but now they obscure too much, you are right.

This underground metro is still near impossible to connect. I spent some good 10-20 mins in the tutorial map and finally gave up.
The "fix" is yet to come after more than 1 year now.

"Keep the thing with Rightlick + Mouse Wheel = fine rotation but add hotkeys for the 45° rotation so rightclick can be used to close the build menu (like every other game does)."
The hotkeys are currently not in our plans, but I'll look into adding them.

I think the right click for closing menus is important too. It is quite annoying being forced to always click on the cross to close any menu.

Also there were some other bugs I could read from other threads, like this:
Dear developers,
as a customer, I would like to know if a traffic bug is going to be fixed and if so, when ? It's almost a year since we reported it.

I'm not sure what are the priorities of the game developers, but shouldn't you at least fix the issues and bugs that are really obvious?
Are the developers still around and working on any fix?

Hey, dark3001, welcome to the forum!

I don't mean to discourage you from playing CIM2, personally I believe that despite the numerous bugs this is a great game, but if you are asking about the priorities of the game developers I would refer you to this topic: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?790989-Colossol-Order-Paradox-WAKE-UP.

Nevertheless, have fun with CIM2, the problems you are writing about are not as problematic once you get accustomed to the game. Then you will decide whether the other problems make you mad like some people, irritate you but don't stop you from playing, like some other people (including me) or doesn't bother you at all, there are such voices too. Also, the building of the metro tracks is not that difficult after some training, you can find some helpful tips here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?682913-Cities-in-Motion-2-The-Interactive-Guide.

Hope this helps! Have fun!

Last edited:
The only reply from the developer is this:

I am sorry you feel we have been absent lately.
We absolutely value user feedback, we would be crazy not to.
You will not find as many Dev posts right now, since it is vacation season and most of the staff are off.

which suggest to me that they have been on vacation since last year LOL (the bug fixing staff, the new vehicle DLC developers are still around)

And this sentence

It is not always possible to take all suggestion for content as in general it is usually better to make content that will appeal to the most people using the resources available.
I will pass your comments along and make sure they are seen.

suggest that they're focusing more on things like new vehicles DLC, or some other fancy stuff instead of fixing basic issues.
I would be crazy to pay for anymore DLC with the current issues.

Hey, dark3001, welcome to the forum!

And don't need to welcome me, I was lurking since 2011, reading threads on CiM1, I didn't just create an account to post this LOL.
I regret that I didn't read threads on CiM2 before buying it.

Also, the building of the metro tracks is not that difficult after some training, you can find some helpful tips here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?682913-Cities-in-Motion-2-The-Interactive-Guide.

I couldn't find any explanation of how to the connect underground metro station. So how is it done?
I did use the page up/page down button, but still couldn't get around the roads beside the station.

Nevertheless, have fun with CIM2, the problems you are writing about are not as problematic once you get accustomed to the game. Then you will decide whether the other problems make you mad like some people, irritate you but don't stop you from playing, like some other people (including me) or doesn't bother you at all, there are such voices too.

Do you play CIM1? That could make a difference between our level of tolerance.
I had high hope on CIM2 because I quite enjoyed playing CIM1.
The problems I am experiencing in CIM2 constantly reminds me of those nice features of CIM1.
But I can still give CIM2 a chance, if they can step it up and start fixing those obvious issues.

Last edited:
This game is awesome, I bought three DLCs and I play every weekend. Every game have your bugs, I play so much with buses , i like it, I miss a lot of models, mainly from the place where I live, but that doesn't discourages me, because the mechanics of the game is incredible!

I keep asking the same bus every month until finally they launch into some DLC, already talked to moderators and I completely understand their side, well then, patience, they will meet everyone's expectations. :happy:

It sounds as if you are building your metro tracks underneath the streets, like IRL. This doesn't work very well as the devs have not yet fixed the opacity problem in underground mode. You're better off placing the tracks next to the road. There are no real stations in CIM2 even though they call them that. What you really do is put a platform on the tracks and a small structure appears on the nearest street through which the CIMs enter and "teleport" to the platform (water bus piers do the same thing). You can place stations on tracks under a street, but it's very tricky. The only way I have found to do it is to use the down arrow and go to the lowest point so that you are horizontal to the tracks. You won't be able to see what you're doing, but if you take a station and place it near the tracks and play with it for a while, it will turn green and the station will be in place. Trust me, it's not real life but put your tracks next to the road.

I have found that all construction is easier to do in underground mode (U on the keyboard). You will easily be able to place the bus stops in this mode. Same for tram tracks. It's much easier to see the previous stretch of track turn green in underground mode.

ESC closes all menus, one at a time.

CIM2 has a steeper learning curve than CIM1 did. Money doesn't matter as much (unless you turn off loans); you can destroy as many buildings as you like and nobody will complain. It's a very different game. Just keep at it and I'm sure you'll get your money's worth of enjoyment. It's not perfect and they haven't fixed all the bugs yet (I think I read that they're working on another project) but bugs and all it's still fun.

It's a relative hand full of posters who complain and complain regularly and loudly. They mean well, but it's a bit much in my opinion. Put more stock in the low-keyed voices. It's only a game.

Played both CiM1 and now CiM2. CiM2 is better in almost every aspect, and the things I like about CiM1 is almost purely aesthetic.

CiM2's engine is much more powerful, and when it comes to city and traffic, is light years ahead CiM1. The only thing I miss are Metro stations with crossovers and full mezzanine levels and entrances as well as the intercity rail stations.

Really most of the complaints you have are all for being new at the game. Once you master how the game engine behaves, you will see how far CiM2 is ahead of CiM1.

My main disappoint is having to use loops at the end for metros and the fact that citizens don't go by the schedule set by the player. The plus side of the new schedule system, though, is that you can have an even disperse of vehicles along the route. In CiM1, I had to guesstimate and buy/launch vehicles according to my desired headway, otherwise you would have 5 buses all clumped together.

Hey, dark3001!
With all sadness about the game being not what we all wanted, I have to admit it still got me to play already 23 full maps where I managed to build over than 50 tram lines per each one, I also realized I like mapping and I like to be making OSM-based maps.
The only difference between you and me is that I never played CIM 1. I actually tried it once, last year, but already after when I played CIM 2. What I missed in CIM 1 is not laggy gameplay when it's full of vehicles and growing town. These two made me stick to CIM 2 and I would probably recommend to take CIM 2 not as "possible upgraded CIM 1 with new features" but as "tried to make it on another engine".

I wish they bought engine of Train Fever and made CIM 3 on it in 2015.
My main disappoint is having to use loops at the end for metros
I solve it with putting a second small depot an the end, looks more realistic.