• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

konrux

Private
14 Badges
Apr 27, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
So far, I like the changes made in this patch, however, I got one particular question regarding the navy budget of the AI. I skipped Patch 1.6, due to the army reinforcement bug, therefore I might have missed this change. Did anyone else notice that the AI is really hesitant to build or rebuild its navies, especially transports. Coming from Patch 1.5, especially navy powers like England, Castille or Denmark are really struggling in my games to the point that I don't even bother to ally them, since they cannot ship over any armies anyway.

It this WAD? Was this introduced as parts of the budget rebalancing in patch 1.6? I know that gold is much harder to come by now - is the AI probably just deprioritize its navy due to cost issues?

Any help regarding these issues would be greatly appreciated...

1.6 was the opposite. Nations rebuilt fleets immediately. Way too much money spent on navy, especially by colonial nations. Better now. England hasn't made a good ally in 1.7, even when I try to use my strike force of light ships to support them. They insist on a two fleet policy in the face of a massive Spanish Armada, for instance. I destroyed Spain's smaller fleet but can't take on their main fleet with England's harbored. Having the attach navy feature work properly would help.

I've seen Castille move up to 15k troops all the way to Sind, and Portugal have 10k billeted in North America (this is the mid 17th century) but the Colonial nations are absolutely useless at managing themselves (especially the Caribbean) when it comes to transports.

Hmmm, weird, maybe my observations are took much based on the early period. I mostly played 1.7 up to the 1550s max and several navy powers, Aragon, Denmark, Castille, England, take several decades to rebuilt their navies and do not consider transports at all. When Denmarks fleet was annihilated at the beginning of the game, they rebuild only 3 light ships and 3 heavy ships, but no transports. Since they own several island provinces, this really hampers their game...

Well, hopefully it gets better as the game progresses...

Hmmm, weird, maybe my observations are took much based on the early period. I mostly played 1.7 up to the 1550s max and several navy powers, Aragon, Denmark, Castille, England, take several decades to rebuilt their navies and do not consider transports at all. When Denmarks fleet was annihilated at the beginning of the game, they rebuild only 3 light ships and 3 heavy ships, but no transports. Since they own several island provinces, this really hampers their game...

Maybe the AI in the mod, Veritas et Fortitudo, that I play is better at using ships but I always thought that the AI is the same "stupid" in vanilla and mods.

It has to get better over time because the AI will use its forcelimit properly as time goes by. Depending on how badly France hammered England in the HYW peace deal, they could have gone into serious debt not only during the war but during the peace deal. Once it has its finances in order it can prioritize the navy, but it will first go for heavy's for defense and lights for trade, and maybe 4-5 transports. as it's naval forcelimit grows with tech and buildings, they should hopefully get better. That being said, you can't do that with colonial nations, so they need to fix that somehow.

Well, I do appreciate the fact that the AI does not needlessly spend all their money on maintaining all these heavy ships, which may possibly cripple their income, but transports need to be balanced in my opinion... It does also question the need for the naval ideas, since a couple heavies are enough to be a superpower in my games. But again, that may change in later years - I'll keep posting...