• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Flammehav

Colonel
8 Badges
Sep 9, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
According to the tooltip this is a horrible decision, but I seem to recall something about the negative moodlets going away after a while and you get something good. But I can't remeber what it was an how long it would take.

Is it worth taking if you got it early in the game and you won't have use for the magistrates anyway. (teching to lvl 4 is slow atm)

After ~50 yrs then the province should flip to your culture so you get the taxation benefits and the reduction in stability cost. Its a small chance (hence having a mean time to happen of 50 years) and no doubt someone with a poor understanding of mathematics will now come on and whine that it never happens for them.

Just be prepared as it can take a lot longer than 50 years. I'm about 150 years into my game and the colonial penalty has really slowed down some of my expansion.

Considering I'm planning to do a colonist game, that is a concern. I have 5 of them now, and don't need any for a few decades, but I will need them eventually. Guess I have to think about it a while. It's 2 provinces. One of them is overseas and the other one is not. Maybee just enact it for the one that is not oversees? They both got a healthy base tax of 8 though, so a culture switch would mean a nice boost, at least for the one that is not oversea.

I tried as Scotland to "Enact Settlement Policy" on the two northernmost English provinces. One went over in about 20 years but the other never went. I carried that game out for 200 years past when I enacted the policy and the province never changed to my culture. That is what can happen with low probability events, it could happen fast or never happen. I only held on that long due to stubbornness as I was playing a colonization game and it really hurt. The costs are

-0.5 colonists/year
-0.1 magistrates/year
+8 local revolt risk
+0.1 infamy per year
+10% population growth

I just don't think it is worth the cost considering how long you may have to bear the colonist/infamy/magistrate penalties.

Yeah I was playing and thinking about and decided against it due to the colonist cost. If I knew it would take 50 years flat, I would do it, or if I wasn't playing a colonist game. But to gamble on it beeing over by the time I'm ready to colonize or not to long after, is not worth it if it doesn't happen.

You can cancel it at anytime, so for now if you enact it you might get the culture flip before you start colonising, but if you don't you can still just cancel it. I use it a lot playing a non-colonial country, I just like having everything my culture.

You can cancel it at anytime, so for now if you enact it you might get the culture flip before you start colonising, but if you don't you can still just cancel it. I use it a lot playing a non-colonial country, I just like having everything my culture.

wish I knew this earlier. I'm just around 4 years of having the tech to get QFTNW

I use it only to correct some random 'mistakes'. I wouldn't Prussianize Ile-de-France, but I would Sapmize the Kola peninsula though.

I use it only to correct some random 'mistakes'. I wouldn't Prussianize Ile-de-France, but I would Sapmize the Kola peninsula though.

I read conflicting advice about this in AARs and such and really can't work out whether people are saying it is a good idea or not? Just to take a concrete example, if you were playing as Naples and you annexed Tunisia, would it be worth doing then? I'm assuming it would obviously be good to get your own culture there but is it worth the initial and continuing cost for what you would gain?

I read conflicting advice about this in AARs and such and really can't work out whether people are saying it is a good idea or not? Just to take a concrete example, if you were playing as Naples and you annexed Tunisia, would it be worth doing then? I'm assuming it would obviously be good to get your own culture there but is it worth the initial and continuing cost for what you would gain?

It's for flavour only. No matter who you are the massive penalties is not worth the slight tax and revolt risk benefit. It's also incredibly unpredictable so there's not really a strategy involved other than luck, maximizing your yearly colonists and placing your NI strategically.

It's for flavour only. No matter who you are the massive penalties is not worth the slight tax and revolt risk benefit. It's also incredibly unpredictable so there's not really a strategy involved other than luck, maximizing your yearly colonists and placing your NI strategically.

Yes, it mostly is for flavor only. But if you imagine the game events representing reality, it might not be a redundant feature.

It may however be a strategically a good decision too when you are holding provinces of some cultures that will hardly ever become an accepted culture.