• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mafiabrett

Major
26 Badges
May 9, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
I tend to like giving the land I gain, especially in Crusades/Jihads to one of the holy orders. Its almost guarenteed they get more men and of course are less likely to ever expand against your own border so its like a good buffer state alot of the time.

Yes, I've given Egypt to the Teutonic knights, Arabia and Syria to the knights of saint john, southern Spain to the spainsh orders, mostly because I don't want the bother of trying to rule area's so far from my empire's main lands.

I like to give land to holy orders for RP reasons, but also because it simply feels evil giving them a doomed duchy in the middle of a wasteland.
It's sometime really funny: yesterday, I was worried about the ERE in my Italy game (it was in 900), so I took tunis from the berbers to trigger the inevitable jihad for armenia, and i though: why not give it to the landless pope? He sure has the will to defend to! And bam! Papal states in carthage (took the time to rename the duchy).

I like to give land to holy orders for RP reasons, but also because it simply feels evil giving them a doomed duchy in the middle of a wasteland.
It's sometime really funny: yesterday, I was worried about the ERE in my Italy game (it was in 900), so I took tunis from the berbers to trigger the inevitable jihad for armenia, and i though: why not give it to the landless pope? He sure has the will to defend to! And bam! Papal states in carthage (took the time to rename the duchy).

Exactly the RP reasons is another reason why I like doing it. As for the Papal States, ive never tried giving him land.. im afraid of what could happen since he always has a shit load of Church tax from every catholic province.. he would be able to upgrade every province and buy mercs up the ass lol. So yeah that is a interesting Idea.. i might try it sometime.

I gave Jerusalem to the Templars. The Grand-Master died, and was succeeded by a character that was heir to the throne of France. And so, my greatest rival gained a title that I conquered, and left me wondering what the hell did I do.....

I gave Jerusalem to the Templars. The Grand-Master died, and was succeeded by a character that was heir to the throne of France. And so, my greatest rival gained a title that I conquered, and left me wondering what the hell did I do.....

Maybe he still has the tootltip info that he's the heir, but a grandmaster is supposed to be removed from inheritance. If you're not on ironman save and quit then try to kill the king of france to see if he inherits. even with the info saying he'll inherit, he totally shouldn't. It's a bug if he does and you should post the save in the bug reports section.

Maybe he still has the tootltip info that he's the heir, but a grandmaster is supposed to be removed from inheritance. If you're not on ironman save and quit then try to kill the king of france to see if he inherits. even with the info saying he'll inherit, he totally shouldn't. It's a bug if he does and you should post the save in the bug reports section.
That save is gone now....
I believe it was in v2.0.4

edit: Yeah, I shouldn't have posted outdated info...sorry about that
But I still check twice while landing someone.

That save is gone now....
I believe it was in v2.0.4

edit: Yeah, I shouldn't have posted outdated info...sorry about that
But I still check twice while landing someone.

A good idea indeed.

When the land is too far away, I give it up to the appropriate order. My goal is actually to generate future crusades as a Roman Catholic. If the holy order gets wiped out, my future rulers can win the crusade again. It's a trick that goes back to CK1. Set them up for potential failure later, and you can farm the piety on both ends: donating the land and going on crusade again.

I always give at least a Barony to Holy Orders when I am playing a Crusader Kingdom. It might take some time to vassalize them, but in the mean time they will act as a buffer between you and thousands of screaming Muslims. Once vassalized, it's like Christmas every day (if Christmas included taking land and killing large swaths of people for religious differences.)

When not a Crusader Kingdom, I usually try to vassalize mercenaries when I play a Republic.

Sometimes. I usually give Mecklenburg to the Jomsvikings and in my latest game as the Hansa I won Hungary in a Crusade and gave it all to the Teutonic Order. Whom I vassalized after I conquered the HRE.