• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stuckenschmidt

Deus Vult
52 Badges
Jun 25, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • BATTLETECH
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
Earth Invasion : Los Angeles
Rules

1. Scenario / Turns

EI:LA takes place during a worldwide Alien Invasion. The players are in command of the 1st USMC Division, trying to defend Los Angeles. The game is played in turns. One turn represents 30 minutes.

2. Roles

EI:LA is played by four players, who take on a role as either a Division Commander or one of three Regiment Commanders

Regiment Commander - In command of three battalions (9 companies) infantry. The Regiment Commander decides the position and tactic of his forces during each turn. His decisions cannot be overruled by the Division Commander.

Division Commander - In command of the Divisional Support Troops (one Tank and two Recon Battalions) and the Air Force units assigned to the theater. He decides the position and tactic for these forces for each turn.

3. Sectors

For each turn a frontline is shown on a map. This frontline is divided in sectors (A, B, C...). These sectors are where ground forces and, in some cases, close-air-support missions are assigned to.

4. Units / Arrival on map / Deployment

Infantry - Commanded by Regiments. Have a "strength value" of 100 points, which changes according to casualties /replacements. Get assigned to specific frontline sectors with specific tactics.

Tank / Recon - Support Infantry units, giving a bonus to combat die rolls. They may not be assigned to frontline sectors which contain no Infantry units and they act according to the tactic of the Infantry units in the sector they are assigned to. The bonus effects of Tank / Recon units are not cumulative. They have no strength value, but they might be not available for combat duty for a certain amount of time according to combat results.

Air Force - A number of squadrons of fighter bombers who may either fight enemy air units for air superiority or perform close-air-support missions for friendly ground units. Air units have no strength value, but they might be not available for combat duty for a certain amount of time according to combat results (this applies for both Human and Alien air units).

At the start of the game, both sides start with just few units. Further units will arrive in the following turns. Each unit begins in "Reserve" and may be deployed to any frontline sector in the same turn. If a unit shall be transferred to another sector, it must first be transferred to "Reserve" and may be redeployed in the following turn. The exception to this rule is, when one frontline sector is divided in two sectors. The units in the old sector may be deployed in any of the two new sectors.

5. Tactics

Infantry Units may adopt one of four tactics:

Assault - Attempt to gain territory. May lead to serious gains if successful, but serious casualties in case of a bad roll
Advance - Cautious attempt to gain territory. Lesser gains if sucessful, lesser casualties in case of failure.
Static Defense - Attempt to hold the frontline. In case of bad die roll the unit retreats slowly.
Mobile Defense - Attempt to hold the frontline. The probability of a retreat is higher than with a Static Defense, but the casualties lower.

Please note, that the default tactic for infantry units is "Static Defense" and that they will follow this tactic unless the Regiment Commander orders something else. If neither side in a sector has an Advance / Assault order, no combat will occur, but Air Support will nevertheless cause damage.

Air Units may adopt one of three tactics:

Air Superiority - Unit will attack enemy air units in an attempt to increase control of the Air Space
Interdiction - Support of Ground units. The pilots will independently chose a sector, probably the one with the largest troop concentration
CAS - Support of Ground Units. The pilots will attack targets in a specific sector determined by the Division Commander

Please note, that the default tactic for air units is "Air Superiority" and that they will follow this tactic unless the Division Commander orders something else.

6. Air Superiority

Control of the Air Space over the theater is represented by a number between 0 and 100 (50 at start) respectively a Air Superiority Value between -2 and +2 (0 at start). A value other than 0 influences future Air Combat as well as the efficiency of ground support missions.

7. Strategic Points

There are ten Strategic Points in Los Angeles:

Compton Airport; El Monte Airport; Hawthorne Airport; Long Beach Airport; Long Beach Naval Complex; Los Angeles International Airport; Los Angeles Union Station; Santa Monica Airport; Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station; Torrance Airport

The amount of controlled Strategic Points severely influences the result at the end of the game (both sides) and the amount of replacements of casualties each turn (Humans only).

8. Casualties / Replacements

The human players start with 27 companies with 100 strength points each, resulting in a total of 2700 points. Then there are 900 additional points in a replacement pool in order replace combat casualties.

If a unit suffers casualties, only 25% of the lost strength points are counted as dead and are gone forever. The other 75% get in a "wounded"-pool, from where they return to the "replacement"-pool over time.

At the end of each turn, replacements arrive at the front. These replacement consist of 1 - 50% of all "missing" strength points (1 - 20% according to a die roll with a D20 plus 4% for each controlled Strategic Point) and are distributed equally to all units with a strength value below 100.

(Example: The total strength value of all companies is down to 2580 at the end of a turn. This means, they are 120 points below the maximum. Now the die roll is a 9 and there are seven Strategic Points under human control, so they receive a total of 30% [or 36 points] replacements)

9. Recon

At the beginning of each new turn, the USMC gains data concerning the enemy strength in each sector based on observations during combat. To represent this, the letters designating the sectors on the map (A, B, C...) are color-coded:

Black = No data (if there was no combat in that sector)
Purple = USMC has roughly 2 times the strength of the enemy
Green = USMC has roughly 1.5 times the strength of the enemy
Blue = Friendly / enemy forces have about equal strength
Orange = Enemy has roughly 1.5 times the strength of the USMC
Red = Enemy has rpughly 2 times the strength of the USMC

This data will be mostly correct, but since it derives from observations, there is a 10% chance, that the estimation is wrong (either too low or too high).

Additionally there will be a rough estimation of the enemy casualties compared to those of the USMC.

10. Orders

As soon as a new update is posted, the next turn begins. From then on, all players have 48 hours to PM their orders for all units under their command. Suppose, the CO of the 1st Regiment would like to send his 1st Battalion to sector C with a Mobile Defense tactic, then his order would be:

1-1: C Mobile

Suppose he just wants to send the A Company of said Battalion to sector C and the other two companies to sector D, then the orders would be:

1-1A: C Mobile
1-1BC: D Mobile

The Division Commander gives orders in a similar fashion to his Air Units and Support Units (the latter without tactic).

11. End of game / Result

When the game ends, a score for both sides will be calculated based on the following formula:

Remaining Strength Points in % of the initial amount x Controlled Strategic Points

The ratio between Human and Alien score determines the outcome of the conflict.

Last edited:
EI146_zps46a7dc37.png

Last edited:
Division Commander Thandros reporting for duty if you'll take me.

Gotta push those Aliens back into the Sky I guess. or maybe it's the sea as well.

Glad to have you here. Hopefully we will find three more people willing to try this. :)

EDIT:

Or at least one, so we can start with one Regiment and the other forumites see how the game is supposed to work.

Last edited:
I'd be up for this. Give me the 1st Regiment then. Ready to fight!

Shouldn't there be four regiments in the 1st Marine Div. though?

Edit: Nevermind, looks like the fourth regiment is actually an artillery regiment, rather than infantry.

Last edited:
Thursday, 30th July 2014
02.00 AM

Several Astronomers around the planet monitor a huge number of objects around the moon. Immediate investigations show, that these objects appear like comets, but they are way too numerous and too slow to be that. First estimations are, that they are on collision course with the earth.

All Governments on the planet are getting informed, since it becomes obvious, that these objects are divided in groups, heading for several impact spots around the world. The estimated time of arrival are the morning hours of 1st August. The President of the United States authorizes DEFCON 4.

Last edited:
Friday, 1st August 2014
01:00 AM

Further observations of the objects show, that they are heading for roughly 20 locations around the globe and will probably completely impact in the oceans.

Friday, 1st August 2014
06:30 AM

Final calculations show, that all 20 impact locations will be off the coast of major cities. Four of these locations are near large cities of the United States: New York, Boston, Miami and Los Angeles.

The 1st USMC Division is put on high alert. Officially the mission is to help those civilians near the coast to evacuate their homes due to the impact of comets near the coastline.

Friday, 1st August 2014
08:00 AM

The first objects hit the sea off the coast of Los Angeles (see map).

A Forward Operating Base (FOB) is established at Santa Monica Municipal Airport.

Friday, 1st August 2014
08:30 AM

Despite large media coverage to evacuate Santa Monica, many civilians and camera crews have gathered at the beach to watch the fascinating as well as intimidating spectacle.

Then, suddenly, a wave of strange individuals come out of the sea and immediately open fire on the people around.

eGZuNWR6MTI=_o_world-invasion-battle-los-angeles-il-primo-trailer-.jpg

While the surviving civilians flee in panic, more of these Aliens land on the shore (see map). In the meantime, the 2nd Battalion / 1st Regiment arrives at Santa Monica FOB.

(Alright. This is it. The Aliens are there. The game begins with the next turn at 09:00 AM. Please keep in mind, that as well Human as Alien forces will arrive step by step on the theater and the whole thing starts with just a few companies on each side.)

Friday, 1st August 2014
09:00 AM

Situation Report:

Alien Forces have made landfall at 08:30 AM at the beach. The present police forces were too small and unorganized to put up effective resistance. During the last 30 minutes, the enemy has advanced. 2nd Battalion will establish a defensive line along Pacific Coast Highway and Lincoln Boulevard in the sectors designated Alpha and Bravo (see map in post 3).

(Okay, first turn. 2nd Battalion will draw first blood. I have updated the unit roster. For each company there is the location [for 2nd Battalion currently R for reserve, in the future the appropriate frontline sector], the tactical stance [default is H for Hold] and the strength value at the start of the turn.

Deadline for orders [this turn von_Rundstedt only] is Tuesday, 4 PM. In case of questions, please send a PM. Good luck out there.)

I'll take the 7th Regiment then.

Could you please mark the victory point locations on the map? That would be extremely helpful.

Also, how do you determine the orders for the alien menace?

I'll take the 7th Regiment then.

Could you please mark the victory point locations on the map? That would be extremely helpful.

Also, how do you determine the orders for the alien menace?

7th Regiment. Check. I`ll do my best with the strategic points and they will be designated as FOB each.

Ok Men this is Major General Thandros. The Aliens have landed on our shores and are slaughtering our people. They have already began pushing inland and your orders are to stop them. I'm doing my best to bring up additional force and support formations. 1st/2nd your job is to hold the line until reinforcement arrive. I'm certain your up for the job so do me proud.

Some recon to know what we're up against would be appreciated. Before that a hold order would seem unadvisable.

Edit: Ignore my PMs, I have confused myself.. a lot. I'll send in orders by tuesday.

Last edited:
Some recon to know what we're up against would be appreciated.

OOC: Good question. Generally speaking it is so, that each side has advantages. The Aliens have more infantry, but the USMC has support Battalions and a more efficient Air Force. All in all it should be an even match.

EDIT:

Next update tomorrow. :)