• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lets continue the assualt in D have one of the reserve companies move to A and the other to D and let's continue the drive. We must push back the enemy whatever the odds.

Saturday, 2nd August 2014
06:15 PM​

Sector Echo

Van Ness Avenue. A bit north of Rowley Park PFC Steve Bowers did hide in cover. Cover. A deep crater. Nobody knew if a friendly or alien shell did make it. But it was better to be then in the open. It was late afternoon already but still bright for at least another one or two hours. Besides him was Private Cohen, who did look around and made a confused impression.

"What`s up. Are you fine?", Bowers asked.
"Do you hear that?", Cohen answered.
"Hear what? I don`t hear anything.", Bowers replied after a short break.
"That`s the point. It is silent."

Bowers suddenly realized, that Cohen was right. It was perfectly still. He took a careful look over the edge of the crater, but nothing was to be seen. He had seen action right from the start and during the last more than 30 hours one could always hear the constant and incredible noise of fighting going on here or in neighboring sectors of the frontline.

But now it was totally calm. With nobody around and no sounds around the city made creepy impression of a ghost town. He wondered, what was going on.

***​

Torrance Airport

The Airport had become the FOB for the whole Division and Major General Thandros asked himself the same question as PFC Bowers. The reports from the frontline were the same in all six sectors. The enemy had stopped all hostile actions. No combat occurred in the whole city.

`What now?`, he thought. Was this just a break? Was the enemy so weakened, that he had to turn into a defensive stance? Fact was, that he did not know what was going on and he did not like that. Anyway he had to inform USNORTHCOM about it.

Hmm Perhaps the enemy has decided to lure us in so they can ambush us. Maybe there tightening their perimeter to allow a more concentrated application of force. Caution should be exercised until the situation becomes apparent.

Saturday, 2nd August 2014
09:00 PM

Cheyenne Mountain

Roughly two hours later the National Security Council gathered for the evening meeting and this time the faces seemed to be more relaxed than 24 hours earlier.

"The situation?", the President asked.

"Sir, during the recent hours the situation has become more clear and shows first results. Our forces in Boston and New York report, that the enemy did not only cease all offensive operations , but is also retreating, since the friendly forces did not suffer as large casualties as in the south and west. Recent news from New York indicate, that enemy units have surrendered and that the resistance of the alien forces is about to collapse. We expect similar results from Boston soon."

"And the other cities?"

"In Miami and Los Angeles our forces could stop the enemy`s advance. Probably the enemy is too weakened to continue his assaults without disrupting the current power balance to their disadvantage. Unfortunately our losses have been too high to take advantage of this situation immediately. But if we are lucky, we can transfer troops from other locations in order to turn the tide and eliminate the alien threat."

"Make it so."

Well, I hate to break it to you, but this game is now coming to an end. Participation is a bit dwindling plus I will have a lot less time during the next weeks. But of course there will be a proper ending, for we all want to know how things proceed, aye?

Monday, 4th August 2014
12:00 PM

Major General Thandros looked at the map. Incredible. 24 hours ago the first reinforcements arrived, since the situation in the east had improved and USNORTHCOM was more willing to send reserves to the west.

With these new units he could start an offensive in the south. Hawthorne Airport was already in friendly hands again, while the International Airport was still contested. In the northern sections he had ordered to hold the line, but there were no enemy advances anymore. His commanders were already asking for permission for small attacks, but he was cautious, since he wanted to wait until the objectives in the south were achieved and the enemy morale broken.

Tuesday, 5th August 2014
03:00 PM

Colonel Trinitro was smiling. The first time for days. By way of variation he could read some good news instead of reports about casualties. This was the first list of medals awarded to soldiers in the Division.

Congressional Medal of Honor

Sergeant Henry Linneker - B-Company / 3rd Battalion / 1st Regiment

Navy Cross

PFC Marcos Hernandez - B-Company / 3rd Battalion / 5th Regiment
Sergeant George Kelly - C-Company / 1st Battalion / 7th Regiment (posthumous)
1st Lieutenant Paolo de Rossi - B-Company / 3rd Battalion / 7th Regiment

Silver Star

PFC Mathew Barnes - B-Company / 1st Battalion / 7th Regiment
Staff Sergeant Charles Downey - C-Company / 2nd Battalion / 7th Regiment (posthumous)
Corporal Aaron Lieberman - C-Company / 1st Battalion / 7th Regiment
PFC Colin Orwell - B-Company / 3rd Battalion / 1st Regiment
Sergeant William Simmons - B-Company / 1st Battalion / 1st Regiment (posthumous)
2nd Lieutenant Andrew Zalinsky - A-Company / 2nd Battalion / 5th Regiment (posthumous)

Bronze Star

2nd Lieutenant James Ambrose - B-Company / 2nd Battalion / 7th Regiment (posthumous)
Sergeant Andrew Cole - C-Company / 1st Battalion / 1st Regiment

Six out of twelve medals were awarded to soldiers of his Regiment. But, on the other hand, five recipients did not make it out alive. According to reports 46% of all servicemen in the Division were dead. The only good thing about the whole situation was, that the enemy had way higher losses.

In the morning hours the International Airport was taken by friendly forces. A well-planned offensive in the center could encircle some small alien units, while the rest was retreating. To the surprise of all the last defenders of the Airport had surrendered. And it proved to be that the enemy was not that different from human beings.

He looked around. In maybe another 24 hours Los Angeles could be safe, just like the rest of the United States. But he wondered, what was going on in the rest of the world.

Possibilities

So the Aliens waited till I was dead to surrender?

Were they that afeard of me being around when they lost?

Or did they just hate me so much that it kept them going?

Either way, amusing.

Or just maybe, maybe, it isn't always about me? :blush:

Friday, 8th August 2014
10:00 AM

Washington DC

President Obama looked out of the window of the Oval Office. It was amazing to be here again. His staff had voted against returning to an exposed location like this so soon, but it was important to give a message to the people, that normality was coming back. Additionally Washington had seen no combat and the infrastructure was still intact.

"So, Ladies and Gentlemen, what is the situation out there?"

General Martin Dempsey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, began his report.

"Mister President, we have bad news from South America. The enemy attacked Rio de Janeiro and the Brazilians were pushed out of the city rather soon. According to reports he is now advancing southward with Sao Paulo under attack. Additionally the enemy is now able to divert forces to Argentina, where Buenos Aires is still contested.

Our European partners from the NATO were considerably successful to repel the attacks in the Mediterranean. The enemy assaults on Barcelona, Marseille and Athens failed, but Istanbul was lost to the enemy forces. NATO is currently gathering forces in order to retake the area.

Two spots in Africa were under attack, but against all odds Lagos and Capetown are secure and the enemy forces defeated.

Further good news come from South and East Asia. India was able to hold Chennai and is now focusing on the battle for Mumbai, which is still raging. China had, as it seems, no major problems to hold Hongkong and Shanghai while Japan could repel the assault on Tokyo.

Unfortunately the enemy was more successful in the Southeast. Singapur was not prepared at all and the city was lost soon. Satellite images show, that enemy forces are spreading to Malaysia and Indonesia. But the worst news is, that Sydney and Melbourne are lost too. Eastern Australia will be under complete enemy control within the next 24 hours."

The people in the room were dead silent. The President turned toward the window again. This was worse than he expected, but better than defeat. The major powers had shown, that the enemy was beatable, but nevertheless South America, Southeast Asia and Australia were basically lost. The battle for the United States was over, the battle for planet Earth had just begun.

Last edited:
So, people, the battle is over and I would like to give thanks to those who participated in it. It is rather rare to have a dedicated playerbase for more than 60 turns. Many thanks to you.

Back in June EmperorGrimm started his game "Tengu Project", an Alien Invasion in New York, but unfortunately the game did not really take off. So I made a few fast adaptations, ruthlessly butchered the idea of "World Invasion - Battlefield Los Angeles" and started this thing.

But, as always, hindsight is a hell of a drug. Of course the idea to repel an Alien Invasion is a nice thing. But it puts the players into a pure defensive role, which of course gets old. It would have been better to let the game begin when the movie ended. Most of LA taken by Aliens, the enemy Command Center gone and the USMC about to retake the place. Would, could should. Another lesson learned.

Anyway, it was a fun thing to GM this game and I hope you had a bit fun too.

Greetings

:)

Thanks for GMing this.

Could you post the stats for the aliens so that we know what we were up against?

*Is waiting expectantly for a new, larger scale game to open up where he can play as Australia*

*also waits for this, but wishes he could be UK*

And I didn't even get to submit my orders...
You won without ever submitting an order! :eek:
Truly, this must be a great general. :D

*Is waiting expectantly for a new, larger scale game to open up where he can play as Australia*

To be quite honest with you, I described the global outcome also for the reason, that maybe someone will pick the idea up and make a global Humans versus Alien game. Not me, though.

I am toying with the idea to make a new Stone Age game next year.