It is my impression or Paradox games are becoming way more popular?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Personally I think Youtube is partly to blame. When before someone saw a demo of a Paradox game, they would think "wow, this is too complicated" and ignore the game. But now with so many "Let's Play" videos in youtube, people actually get to understand the game from watching it being played.

Reactions:
Personally I think Youtube is partly to blame. When before someone saw a demo of a Paradox game, they would think "wow, this is too complicated" and ignore the game. But now with so many "Let's Play" videos in youtube, people actually get to understand the game from watching it being played.
Blame? Why is paradox being popular a bad thing which you need to blame someone for?
As for the actual issue, youtube may be deserving of some credit/blame but I think it would fall well short of the deliberate efforts by Paradox to sell more of their games by improving them, making them more intuitive, pretty, stable and so on. There is no need to blame them for anything though, Paradox being more popular is a win for all Paradox fans.

Blame? Why is paradox being popular a bad thing which you need to blame someone for?

I don't think he was using 'blame' in its literal context.

The popularity of PDS since CKII onwards, to me, has a lot of benefits and only a few drawbacks. The biggest drawback I can think of is the constant influx of new, exceptionally rude forum users and an almost absent moderation of every post getting derailed and turning into a flame war. Benefits include more possibility for new and better games and versions of games that I've been playing for almost a decade now, and more updates/patches/etc. so you don't have to wait a year for a major patch inside an expansion.

Oh... gosh... too.. many.. jokes.... Where do I start?

I've got to get a few out.

1. This is just shows that Iraq's rebel-hunting AI isn't that great.
2. They can't expand without dealing with coalitions, their AE is too high.
3. I hope they have machine guns, otherwise they won't be able to colonize that territory they want so badly.
4. Look at Socotra, they still haven't stomped out the Nestorians.
5. Is this in ironman?
6. tag ISIS
7. culture ISIS norse
8. religion ISIS norse_reformed

Actually, given the land they currently control, I expect them to take all this land if they're half as competent as the average player on this forum.

EDIT:
9. Have they fixed Decadence yet? Otherwise ISIS OP!
10. I wonder how they're doing in the punitive (infamy) wars
11. OH NO! THIS COUNTRY IS RACIST, ITS BLACK!!!! (had to get that out of my system to make fun of those scared of colors)
12. Iraq decided against forming Babylon and/or the Arab Union?
13. Hope Iraq is industrialized
9b. Looks like Iraq is in a three-way decadence war (Caliph vs. Africa vs. Central Asia)

I used to like Civ V but i can't touch it anymore after having played EU4.
Same here. I liked the Civ games, but there were also lots of things that annoyed me about them. Now that I've seriously gotten into the Paradox games, there's just no turning back for me.

not going to lie, i was the teen who thought strategy games sucked. was like 'hur durr cod all day long"

but then my bro showed me E:TW, a total war game. i loved it,favorites were Martha india(war elephants/Sikh troops,war elephants/Sikh troops everywhere) + Netherlands(you can has all the elite troops:D) but total war games diplomacy was honorably crap. so i played it on very easy because of the broken diplomacy.
and etw wasnt easily moddable, so i was looking for other games.

then i found a quill18 video of the preview of eu4. then Arumba and Shen. i was hooked and got ck2 and eu4 when i could.

they did a really great time explaining how the hell to play eu4.

Reactions:
Same here. I liked the Civ games, but there were also lots of things that annoyed me about them. Now that I've seriously gotten into the Paradox games, there's just no turning back for me.

I have been playing PI games for a decade now, and I likely always will. But I have a special place in my heart for Civ games, in particular Civ IV with the Realism Invictus mod. Some of my games using that have lasted for 6-9 months, and it's a lot more in-depth. Civ V just didn't do it for me, despite the inclusion of hexes.

There are not very many "good" new games out/coming out so players are starting to look for something new to try. That's the only reason I found this game. Starting playing sometime after the 1.6 hotfix.

Also, steam summer sales.

I must admit that mainly because of quill18's LP videos of eu3 and vik2 (ive been looking for these kind of games since forever lol), I started playing paradox games (first eu3, then eu4 + ck2). Now, these games are the ones that I play the most by a large margin!

^Here's your healthy daily serving of necro.

Reactions:
This morning I would have said you were wrong. But apparently, ISIS is using world maps from Vicky to lay out their plans for a new Caliphate.

I kid not.

I hope they try to invade Trieste... Just to find out they can't because there is water in the Gulf of Trieste.

In Vicky 2 the Gulf of Trieste is completelly filled with land... The Gulf of Trieste is allways missing in Paradox games :(

I hope they try to invade Trieste... Just to find out they can't because there is water in the Gulf of Trieste.

In Vicky 2 the Gulf of Trieste is completelly filled with land... The Gulf of Trieste is allways missing in Paradox games :(
You do realise you are replying to a year old comment right? Just let this thread rest in peace.

Failures of Civ 2015 may have somewhat to do with CK2 and EU4 gaining popularity. I try to share with others my view of CK2, having enjoyed religion in Civ 4. It's just so insane in CK2.

And it's not like Sid Meier and nuCiv have been any less full of "gimped launch plus DLC $$$", or whatever the criticism is here with Paradox games.