• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GCRust

Major
35 Badges
Jun 11, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
Question One:

What benefits, if any, come from Judaism? A random event netted me a Jewish Chancellor, and I've got this crazy idea to slowly, through generations of inter-marriage with vassals and education of my dynasty's children, to possibly transform Ireland into the Isle of Israel. But I suspect that would make the Pope and his horde of Karlings angry, so I was just curious what potential benefits could be reaped from such a maneuver, besides the challenge factor?

Question Two:

Say you deliberately groom a member of your Dynasty to be a Priest, and set things in motion that eventually gets that dynastic member a shot at the papacy. When your dynastic member is Pope, you then swear fealty to the Pope and then, through elective succession, make the Pope your Heir.

Would this in turn result in your family "owning" the Papacy - as you set it up so you become the Pope and then just name other members of your dynasty to the papacy? Or does the game deliberately not let you co-opt papal authority in such a manner?

2. All bishops, pope included are excluded from succession. In any event, the pope has his own, unchangeable succession law.

Daw. Ah well, I'm still going to try and see one of my sons as Pope (Because he's one of 8 kids thus far, and dangit I've got to do SOMETHING with them). And I didn't seriously believe there'd be some kind of exploit to give yourself free reign to the papal coffers...but a man can dream. :D

Make him your chaplain, stick him in Rome, and give him a duchy or something, and he SHOULD have a good papal eligibility score.

Ah well, I'm still going to try and see one of my sons as Pope (Because he's one of 8 kids thus far, and dangit I've got to do SOMETHING with them).

That is an entertaining project, always. And you can go even more ambitious with a brood of that size - how about trying to position as many of the siblings as the grandmasters of holy orders as possible? I recall one ambitious Spanish king of mine succeeding in putting his son on the papal throne in succession to the king's brother, and having three other sons as the heads of Hospitallers, Knights of Santiago, and Knights of Calatrava, respectively. It can keep one busy, though the requisite machinations are also a bit of a drain on your treasury.

Although there aren't many benefits to playing as a Jew, there aren't really any risks to doing it either. Ireland has a pretty low Crusade weight so you only risk getting one called on you if all traditionally catholic lands + Jerusalem + Sicily are already controlled by Christians.

One of the loading screen hints says that Jewish culture produces better stewards and that you can get economic tech bonuses from having a Jewish steward.

I've seen this happen once in my Abyssinia 867 start.

One of the loading screen hints says that Jewish culture produces better stewards and that you can get economic tech bonuses from having a Jewish steward.

I've seen this happen once in my Abyssinia 867 start.
So you even get this benefit playing as a Jew? I wasn't sure if it only applied to the event-generated Ashkenazi Jews. Are you saying you were playing as Jewish Semien, or as Miaphysite Abyssinia?

A random event netted me a Jewish Chancellor, and I've got this crazy idea to slowly, through generations of inter-marriage with vassals and education of my dynasty's children, to possibly transform Ireland into the Isle of Israel.

I had the same idea in my current game( http://s7.directupload.net/images/140617/c3i762hs.png). I had a jewish steward, gave him land and send my children to him to be educated/converted. Unfortunately he wanted independence and after he declared war on me, I had to repeat the whole thing with another jewish councillor. But eventually I managed to convert my heir and ca. 300 years later I had conquered Britannia, Israel and most of Italy and the North African Coast. Unfortunately I then discovered that I couldn't destroy my Empire title, so i gave Israel Indepence and continued playing as the King of Israel.
Playing as a jewish ruler doesn't really have much advantages, but it's fun because you have long term goals like creating the Kingdom of Israel, building the third temple, restoring the Jewish High Priesthood. There are however a few disadvantages: Crusades, Catholic Revolts and it will be difficult to marry your children to anyone who isn't already jewish.