• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 6: The Franco Austrian war

Authors note: hi before starting I’m just going to show you all my factories and a map of the world. The first bunch of factories in the states of Alsace Lorraine, Aquitaine, Auvergne, Bourgogne, Bretagne, Champagne, Franche-comte and French Guyana. Now this early in the game I don’t put much effort into my industry but I always build factories that need certain resources that are available in the state, and of course being France I have built a lot of factories to produce wine.

54n.png

The 2nd bunch of factories are in the states of French Indian ocean territory, lesser Antilles, Newfoundland, Corsica, Tahiti, Il de France, Languedoc and Le midi. Most of these factories where built by my capitalists rather recently so there aren’t many workers in them yet, the only real exception to this is Il de France which is our capital region. At the moment Il de France is the largest producer of industrial good in the country.

kjkl.png

And the final bunch of factories are in Limousin, Loire, Normandy, Picarde, Poitou, Provence, Region centre and Rhone. At the moment most of these states aren’t exactly doing fantastic but they should improve in the future, I expect Normandy to be one of our largest industrial areas.

wgj0.png

And finally here is a map of the world in 1 January 1860 it will be interesting to see how much will change once the scramble for Africa begins. With that done now we go back to the game.

rbw4.png

On the 17th of January 1860 we are unexpectedly approached by the Sardinian envoy the count of Savour. The Sardinians have an interesting proposal, an alliance against the Austrian empire and in return for helping them acquire Lombardy the Sardinians will hand over Nice and Savoy. Napoleon decides to aid the Sardinians believing that our army should be able to handle the Austrian with ease. The next day Napoleon declares war on the Austrian empire and orders the mobilization of the nation against them.

9d9q.png

52xq.png

Just under a month later in a show of force Napoleon orders a full out assault of the Austrians in Milan. The Austrians had dug in and had the advantage of being the defender and as a result we suffered many casualties. The Battle of Milan ended in a costly French victory as 60,000 French men under the command of Joseph Billot attacked the entrenched Austrian force of 17,000 men. After the Victory in Milan general Billot proceeds to pursue the Austrian army southwards towards Brescia where the Austrians are again defeated on the 4th of March.

url]

kkrx.png

As our armies occupy Milan and Brescia the Austrians under the command of Von Benedek continue to retreat but manage to inflict heavy casualties on our forces along the way. On the 18th of March the Austrians are defeated again in the battle of Verona suffering 762 casualties compared to the 3,400 men that we lost. Once the occupation of Milan ends on the 9th of April the 1st army is sent further east to occupy Padua while the 3rd and 5th armies occupy Trent and Verona. Meanwhile further north the Sardinian army under Giuseppe Garibaldi take on the Austrians in Bozen. Further south the Ottomans are struggling to hold back the Austrians with most of Bosnia already in Austrian hands. Most of the Ottoman army was destroyed on the 28th of April when they were surrounded and captured in the battle of Livno.

bzk4.png

7cj6.png

While our forces move into the Venetia region in the north general Duchene has been pursuing the Tuscan army across Papal territory. He finally managed to catch the Tuscans and defeat them in the battle of Viterbo. While we dominate the land our allies Sardinia and the Ottomans dominate the sea. The Ottomans blockade the Austrian ports while the Sardinian navy defeats the Austrian navy of the coast of Venice sinking 6 Austrian Ironclads, 4 Austrian Man o wars and 5 commerce raiders.

zp0l.png

On the 31st of May while we battle the Austrians the Prussian Otto von Bismarck is up to something. Using the fact that we are distracted by the conflict against the Austrians Bismarck unifies the North German states into the North German Federation. Whilst Napoleon III wonders what Bismarck is planning our forces continue to defeat the Austrians. On the 2nd of June the city of Venice falls and we defeat the Austrian in the 2nd battle of Milan.

k52k.png

0ngq.png

On the 2nd army under Duchene defeats the Austrian in Bozen on the 26th of June. While the hero of two worlds Garibaldi and his forces take on the Austrian near Trentino in the Alps our forces continue to march eastwards. On the 18th of July Garibaldi defeats the Austrian at the battle of Bezzecca under Garibaldi’s command the Italian artillery took a hill close to the town, and an assault by the Italian infantry caused the Austrians to withdraw to their emplacements in the surrounding mountains. While Garibaldi brings glory to the Sardinians General McMahon brings glory to France by defeating the Austrians in the Battle of Lienz.

5fwo.png

baad.png

Victory after victory our forces push on defeating the Austrians in the 2nd battle of Bergamo on the 31st of July and then again in the battle of Gorizia the largest battle of the war so far. The Battle of Gorizia began when a papal army was attacked by the Austrians whilst occupying a fort, the Austrians lay siege to the fort for 2 days almost destroying the Papal army. Just as it looked as if the Austrian where going to win General Domenico Diaz arrives with the 6th army just in time to save them. With the arrival of General Diaz a huge battle erupted after 2 hours the 6th army managed to take the hill overlooking the fort threatening the Austrian position. Before long the larger Austrian army was forced to retreat or risk being cut off from and their supply line.

j8nl.png

On the 30th of August we win a pyrrhic victory in the 3rd battle of Milan when we lose 25,000 men against an army of 39,000 Austrians while they only suffered 8,500 casualties. On the 7th of September the Austrian army that was defeated in the battle of Gorizia is again defeated in Klagenfurt this time by general Bourbaki.

7236.png

v79v.png

After suffering defeat at Gorizia and Klagenfurt the Austrians decide to come to the negotiating table in an attempt to gain a reasonable peace. After agreeing to cede Lombardia to Sardinia piedmont the war comes to an end on the 17th of September 1860. Following the end of the war the Sardinians arrange a referendum in of Parma, Tuscany, Modena, and Romagna and they voted to join the Sardinians. Napoleon was shocked by the Italian states decision to Join Sardinia and immediately demands that the Sardinians make good on their deal and cede Savoy and Nice. With most of northern Italy in Sardinian Hands what could happen next?

oju8.png

All things considered it sounds like they put up quite a fight, even if they lost the attritional war.

believe me they did, i was actually very surprised how much of a fight they put up i shouldent have attacked them so much in that terrain.
It's better this way - makes a more interesting update ;)

Nationalism on the rise in Germany and Italy I see. Dangerous times to be multiethnic.*looks at Austria*

...Authors note: hi before starting I’m just going to show you all my factories and a map of the world. The first bunch of factories in the states of Alsace Lorraine, Aquitaine, Auvergne, Bourgogne, Bretagne, Champagne, Franche-comte and French Guyana. Now this early in the game I don’t put much effort into my industry but I always build factories that need certain resources that are available in the state, and of course being France I have built a lot of factories to produce wine...

Thank you, incredibly useful as factories are probably where I am weakest. A lot of wood and military goods I see.

Great update as always.

I just noticed on the world map the Confederates hold an isolated Nebraska. That deserves a lolwut.

Poor Austria-Hungary, beat up and attacked by every nation in Europe...

Hopefully Italy will make a solid ally for France in the future.

Thank you, incredibly useful as factories are probably where I am weakest. A lot of wood and military goods I see.

Great update as always.
yeah i had a few provinces with sulphur so i built ammunition factories, and what's the point in haveing ammunition if you dont have guns to fire them from :D. i hope the bit f info i give was helpful although granted it wasent much.

dont forget about the ACA's guys wink, wink, nudge, nudge http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...for-Victoria-2! ;)

you won, but OMG, I've never seen France winning every battles by loosing way more soldiers!

Last edited:
Great AAR!

Just a query I assume losing to the Prussians will spell the end of Nappie, can anyone let me know if you can keep him if you win those wars?