• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Abnwtwtud

Lt. General
116 Badges
Jul 25, 2009
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Iron Cross
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Starvoid
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
So, I've been playing a Norse game out of Sweden in 867 which spiraled a bit out of control. Originally I was just going to convert to Catholicism at some point after I got bored of raiding and concubines. By 1150, I've reformed the Norse faith, and have 400+ dynasty members making considerable contributions in every kingdom in Europe. The Norse faith is the only faith in Europe up to the Byzantine Empire and Ethiopia (last Great Holy War took Egypt). There are no Catholic provinces, and only one catholic ruler (Knights Hospitaller, has a castle in the Byzantine Empire for some reason). I recently just looked for a Pope, and couldn't find one. Has the Pope disappeared from my game for good? For some reason I thought that wasn't possible.

look at the religion tab, it will give you the name of the current pope, then search character. The Pope gets tricky to find once he becomes landless... but he should still be there somewhere.

Reminds me of my Umayyad game where the Orthodox Patriarch is my court jester since 200 years...lol.

If he's gone that's actually not good. If I recall correctly certain events check to see if the Pope exists before firing (since the Pope is supposed to always exist). For example, if there's no Pope the Mongol invasion won't occur.

Handy to find him, if only so you can get your hands on his cash.

In my current game an ex-pope left 120000 gold to a muslim baron, who ended up landless at a court in the middle of Persia. The richest man in the world, but no castle.

I checked the religious tab first thing, and he was not present there. Like I said, at this point there's only one landed Catholic in the entire world, and that's soon to end. There are no provinces that follow the Catholic faith at all. As far as I can tell, there's no holder of the Papacy title, and searches have failed to find him. Will this make my game borked or should it still be fine?

Handy to find him, if only so you can get your hands on his cash.

In my current game an ex-pope left 120000 gold to a muslim baron, who ended up landless at a court in the middle of Persia. The richest man in the world, but no castle.

I formed the empire of Britannia and unlanded the Pope whenever he had 80k on him. I chased him all the way to Bulgaria and then took the kingdom, gave him land, imprisoned him, and took his fortune. To say the least, I can do whatever the hell I want for the rest of the game.

You can easily find any religious head in the religion tab of the ledger, by double clicking on the name.

The papacy may sometimes be destroyed if it is vassalized as the result of an invasion (probably by the magyars or some muslim sultan). This is a bug. A catholic ruler may recreate the papacy if he holds Rome, but don't do this yourself as you will become the pope and get booted out of the game.

The same things can happen with the ecumenical patriarch.

The game is not broken, but some events are now impossible to get (like the aforementioned Horde invasions).

Like I said before, you can fix it by using the console to grant The Papacy to some random Catholic guy.
If you are in Iron Man, you can take Rome and then give it to the last Catholic guy and just hope he can scrounge up the necessary piety.