• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Who is your favorite nation to play as? Perhaps its one that you keep coming back to or one you played once but just loved. Tell us about it! What makes them so fun to play. If you use any mods let us know that as well.
Czechslovakia, japan, two sciiles, Brazil, Prussia, bavaria and austria

Any Italian minor --> Italy, Prussia --> Germany, USCA and attempt to control all of Central America with the US having your back.

Hate UK and Russia.

The UK - with the objective of ending up with a higher industrial ranking than the US without the use of war.

(although still new to the game and not having tried that many countries in total yet)

USA, it's one great big economic sandbox where you don't have to worry about wars and diplomacy much. I had one game where I didn't even take anything from Mexico and still finished in good position.

When I do want to engage in war and colonization, French is my favorite.

The Netherlands I by far my favourite for an ordinary game.

For a challenging game I like to play countries such as Greece > Byzantium, Siebenburgen (modded slightly so only North German as accepted) Texas and Canada when trying to take all land with a semi legit claim on historically.

For a game to see how big I can get Prussia > NGF > Großdeutschland

Care to explain why the Netherlands over Belgium?

The Reason I like the Netherlands over Belgium is that the Netherlands starts off with a network of good colonies in the East Indies which gives it a good position for resources, especially late game do to rubber + oil. What's more is that they start with cores in Belgium and if you ally with Prussia, which can be done day one and you attack Belgium day 2 you can swiftly annex it. Once annexed Netherlands+Belgium has a good assortment of resources and a decent population so that with some maneuvering you can colonize much of Africa + it's in a great position to be opportunistic in Europe and snatching provinces from Germany+France.

I like to play countries which have to start slow and catch-up. South-America is nice for that. Brazil is the most easy and relaxing. With the others you start with low pop, low literacy etc. but thanks to migration you'll be able to rise as huge powers by the end of the century. Plus migration is still something I don't master and it's still fun to try to figure out and optimize.
Greece and Egypt are fun for almost the same reasons, with the added challenge of modernizing with Egypt while the Ottomans are attacking you every five years then forming Arabia and retake North Africa from europeans with the cores granted.

Russia, UK and US are the most boring for me because they don't need anything, you can just cruise along with them and end up first, no real resources shortage etc. With Russia you just need to get some NF and raise your literacy and you're good to go

The Reason I like the Netherlands over Belgium is that the Netherlands starts off with a network of good colonies in the East Indies which gives it a good position for resources, especially late game do to rubber + oil. What's more is that they start with cores in Belgium and if you ally with Prussia, which can be done day one and you attack Belgium day 2 you can swiftly annex it. Once annexed Netherlands+Belgium has a good assortment of resources and a decent population so that with some maneuvering you can colonize much of Africa + it's in a great position to be opportunistic in Europe and snatching provinces from Germany+France.

Maybe I should take this to another thread but, In my games as the Netherlands, I still dont understand why you would not go after China rather than Africa. China has some valuable resources and lots of pops. I feel like its the quickest way to get a stronger military.

Maybe I should take this to another thread but, In my games as the Netherlands, I still dont understand why you would not go after China rather than Africa. China has some valuable resources and lots of pops. I feel like its the quickest way to get a stronger military.

They're not exclusive, Africa is infamy free, if you have some colonial points why shouldn't one grab some of it ? Plus it has a lot of rubber.

They're not exclusive, Africa is infamy free, if you have some colonial points why shouldn't one grab some of it ? Plus it has a lot of rubber.

I guess I was referring to warring with African states vs c
Chinese. you definitely could keep colonizing either way.

Bavaria, to form the South German Federation and compete against Prussia and/or Austria. Wait for a war between these two countries and grab some regions.
My dream would be to reach the mediterranean...