• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ukraine, it's easy to industrialize much earlier than Russia, if you know what you're doing.

Ukraine, it's easy to industrialize much earlier than Russia, if you know what you're doing.

I like that whole idea of releasing nations in general from other powers. I'll have to try that as Ukraine.
I had a good game as Finland once when I released it from Russia and almost managed to form Scandinavia but for Germany and their coveting of Denmark.

Russia to me is one hell of a micro management. Same with GB. All those armies you have to tend to and such, really tedious to me.

The idea of forming an early USSR sounds pretty appealing. In practice it might not be as fun though. You would have to build and manage all of your factories as well.

If I wanted to do that, should I max tax the poor and not the rich?

The idea of forming an early USSR sounds pretty appealing. In practice it might not be as fun though. You would have to build and manage all of your factories as well.

If I wanted to do that, should I max tax the poor and not the rich?

I just finished a game of Soviet Russia, Well..for awhile. I had a communist revolution around the 1890's, kept taxes fairly high throughout the game and just kept building and expanding liquor and furniture factories all across the country. At the end, I subsidised all my factories though most of them were profitable, spiked up the taxes and researched all the admin. efficiency techs..I was raking in about 20k a day with a fully raised army and stockpile slider at 100% at war. This of course, was not very popular..the last 10 - 15 years were constant revolts I didn't bother putting down anymore.

In any case, with planned economy, the capis dont invest anyway, so I'd be tempted to tax them high. I do that in most games anyway, they still expand industry and turn out to be the biggest income generators.

I like that whole idea of releasing nations in general from other powers. I'll have to try that as Ukraine.
I had a good game as Finland once when I released it from Russia and almost managed to form Scandinavia but for Germany and their coveting of Denmark.
I had a great New England game once. Another Czechoslovakia game was a lot of fun too. Tried a Quebec game once, but it was painfully boring.

I had a great New England game once. Another Czechoslovakia game was a lot of fun too. Tried a Quebec game once, but it was painfully boring.

I had a fantastic Czechoslovakia game. The composition of pop size, resources and geographical position makes it quite an important country in Europe in the game.

Would you recommend the Netherlands for a relative beginner? I have been playing PoD but have only ever played Sardinia-Piedmont so far
I learned the game playing the Netherlands, so I would say so.

Poland>Commonwealth.

Never a dull moment, expecially with NNM, where if Russia goes Commie or Nazi they can reclaim ALL Poland with a simple click, and even manually deleting the cores after you used the in-game mechanic to assimilate the population (and delete russian cores) does nothing, as they can just re-click and get all the cores.

It is pretty fun to see Russian Patriots spawn in Krakow or Warsaw.

Austria, Netherlands and Sweden, for different reasons. Austria because it can be fairly hard compared to the other GP's. A lot of conflict and internal strife. Netherlands because the excellent (with Belgian lands reclaimed) industrial base and starting colonies make a more economic and industrial game very interesting. Sweden because I can live out my patriotic "what if" scenarios! :p

Austria can get screwed over by the crisis-mechanic in HoD, though.

Austria, Netherlands and Sweden, for different reasons. Austria because it can be fairly hard compared to the other GP's. A lot of conflict and internal strife. Netherlands because the excellent (with Belgian lands reclaimed) industrial base and starting colonies make a more economic and industrial game very interesting. Sweden because I can live out my patriotic "what if" scenarios! :p

Austria can get screwed over by the crisis-mechanic in HoD, though.

Holland I always struggle with because of the lack of culture pops..I'd love to do a Belgium and conquer France!

I love to play as Denmark to form Scandinavia. I love trying to wrestle control of the Baltic and join in the scramble for Africa.
Japan is always fun due to having such a versatile position in Asia.
China is fun if you're careful around GPs.

I like to play Austria because I can have a very peaceful game with them. I never try to form Germany with them (and why should I?), but always go for Austria-Hungary, trying to appease the other cultures as much as I can. That's why I'm mostly playing NNM, where you have the option to accept your other cultures over time as Austria-Hungary. I want to create a multi-culturat, at least semi-democratic nation that withstands the tests of time. :)