• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Raeheart_

Major
54 Badges
May 27, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
I remember their being a thread called GOTW. It would give a character and a challenge, like start as Alfred of Wessex and have an heir become king of England. It was really interesting. What happened to it?

I don't care about contests in general.

Regarding the thread, i guess it's just that CK2 is too easy and most potential contests can get done by most and if the contest is really hard, then cheaters are invited, and cheating is really easy.
Ck2 is not really a good and serious contest game....and it shouldn't be made one (just in case someone from above reads this).

I don't care about contests in general.

Regarding the thread, i guess it's just that CK2 is too easy and most potential contests can get done by most and if the contest is really hard, then cheaters are invited, and cheating is really easy.
Ck2 is not really a good and serious contest game....and it shouldn't be made one (just in case someone from above reads this).

Fair enough. I do think it would have been nice to have a weekly challenge, doing unusual things, just to keep the game fresh, but I take your point. Dirty cheating alpacas can ruin everyone's fun. :(

Hehe, well maybe a cheating contest would do.

Somebody stops the time and all...or maybe not. :laugh:

edit: On the other hand, it lasted for 3 months and that is better than nothing.

Maybe it shouldn't be a competition?

The competitive nature gave people a reason to attempt the challenges, but there were a lot of drawbacks too.

After the results of the first couple, a lot of people didn't want to join because they felt like they couldn't play "as well" as the leaders and therefore could never win, so what was the point?

Turning CK2 into a speed race to see who could finish the fastest also made the contest a huge exploit fest. Most of the strategy revolved around finding clever ways to break the game mechanics. It was definitely interesting, but it was also frustrating. And after doing a few of those races if you aren't the kind of person who lives to find new exploits it really started to drag the game down.

If you want to revive the Game of the Week format I would suggest making it more of a cooperative venture.

Design a scenario around an interesting start (there are lots on the historical characters list) and then just turn people loose on it. Then they can discuss strategies and share stories and all that and you can see where different people's games go.

I could be wrong but I think a lot of people were interested in the idea for the sake of trying new characters or time periods, but were turned off by the whole race to the finish aspect.

Alternatively, if you just want to participate in something like that, you could try the Reddit group. I'm not sure if it's still happening or not, but they were doing a Weekly Game for awhile alternating between CK2 and EU4 each week (so you really had two weeks for each challenge).

Excellent suggestion. Instead of dumb competition. Lets all do the same "interesting challenge" and discuss afterwards and share their stories.
Sounds good to me.
Thumbs up.

edit:
Could be also simply characters from the stickied thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...hould-Play-As-Any-Particular-Character-in-CK2
Most of these are supposed to be challenging.

edit: Just in case, yes i was serious. Sorry if my wording was a bit unfortunate.

Last edited:
Excellent suggestion. Instead of dumb competition. Lets all do the same "interesting challenge" and discuss afterwards and share their stories.
Sounds good to me.
Thumbs up.

edit:
Could be also simply characters from the stickied thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...hould-Play-As-Any-Particular-Character-in-CK2
Most of these are supposed to be challenging.

It could also be a tutorial for the new players among us. Keep the name Game of the Week, but make it a less competitive experience. Excellent idea. I will PM the relevant mod asking for permission to perform necromancy.

EDIT: scratch that, I'll start a new post. First game tomorrow.

Last edited:
It could also be a tutorial for the new players among us. Keep the name Game of the Week, but make it a less competitive experience. Excellent idea. I will PM the relevant mod asking for permission to perform necromancy.

EDIT: scratch that, I'll start a new post. First game tomorrow.

Let me know when you do, I would love to participate!