• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cjmate8

Recruit
1 Badges
Apr 24, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
Hello, I am new to the forums. I have been playing for a while, but I just made an account here so I could ask some questions and improve my gameplay. This is it:

1. Are the de jure capitals always the best place to go to? I am in Denmark, and I want to keep Jylland and Holstein as my personal demense forever because it has so many holdings. The de jure of the empire is Upland. Is Upland better? Also, the capital of Denmark is Sjaelland. Is that better than Jylland?

2. Is it wise to invest in your initial county at all if you intend to move to a better capital?

3. How does the raiding mechanic work for non-norse? I use the boat thing and just tear up England. I assume that you just turn on raid and go to other counties that border yours. Also, can you raid people of the same religion?

4. Why might an anti-pope be good? Also, can you de-pope the pope and install anti-pope? If you do that with a heresy, does it make the heresy the official religion?

5. How do you join a crusade? I remember the pope calling a crusade, but I could not figure out how to join his war.

4:Every bishop in the world who likes the Antipope better will pay taxes to him instead,and since you are his liege,you receive the money.If you are an emperor and declare war on the Pope to claim The Papacy and win,the Pope becomes your vassal and you get half of his monthly income.
5:Go to the diplomacy screen of the Pope and click 'Join war'.

Hello, I am new to the forums. I have been playing for a while, but I just made an account here so I could ask some questions and improve my gameplay. This is it:

1. Are the de jure capitals always the best place to go to? I am in Denmark, and I want to keep Jylland and Holstein as my personal demense forever because it has so many holdings. The de jure of the empire is Upland. Is Upland better? Also, the capital of Denmark is Sjaelland. Is that better than Jylland?

2. Is it wise to invest in your initial county at all if you intend to move to a better capital?

3. How does the raiding mechanic work for non-norse? I use the boat thing and just tear up England. I assume that you just turn on raid and go to other counties that border yours. Also, can you raid people of the same religion?

4. Why might an anti-pope be good? Also, can you de-pope the pope and install anti-pope? If you do that with a heresy, does it make the heresy the official religion?

5. How do you join a crusade? I remember the pope calling a crusade, but I could not figure out how to join his war.

1) No. Just keep your capital as whatever county you have that has many holdings and is rich.

2) Yes and no. It can be a huge waste of money that would be better spent on retinues and mercenaries, but if you are not planning on moving your capital for a while, it can be worth it to build the economic buildings...especially if you start in somewhere that is a total wasteland.

4) An anti-pope is good if you wish to intentionally lower the moral authority of the Catholic Church to facilitate the spread of heresy, particularly if you want to go heretic yourself at one point. Every active antipope reduces Catholic MA by 30 percent. Also, it can help you make more money I believe from the bishops who like him more than the pope, who will then pay you instead of the pope...though you can also accomplish this by making them like you. You can overthrow the pope and replace him with your antipope but that does not affect heresies. Once you go heretic, you can no longer install or support Catholic antipopes, becuase you, as a heretic, are opposed to the Catholic Church. It should be noted that the Fraticelli can establish their own papacy and have the same pope/antipope mechanics as the Catholics (I believe).

Finally, the only way to make your heresy replace Catholicism as the "parent" religion is to spread your heresy to the point where it is at least 5 provinces larger than Catholicism. So you will have a lot of converting to do.

Last edited:

Every pagan can raid by boats. Only the Norse may sail down rivers.

Not true, last time I checked other pagans could raid via boat as well. They just didn't when handled by the AI.

Ahhhh thanks for the correction! I've only played non-Norse pagans twice (Romuva and Suomenusko) and I never raided, so I foolishly spoke from ignorance.

3. Others have answered the rest. You can only raid people of a different religion.

4. If you're an emperor and you install your anti-pope as pope, the pope becomes your vassal. At this point, other Catholics are screwed as you can use all the pope mechanics (get claims, invasions, excommunications) at will.

5. Either do it through the diplomacy screen via the pope, or click the giant crusade banner on the left of the screen (below your portrait) and click the arrow for the papal side (you can't join the other side).

1- Any rich county is a good capital. It is usually good to hold as much of that county's de jure duchy however to get the benefits of each province's wealth without disturbing vassals of other duchies. I.E. best basic holding as the Byzantine Emperor is the three counties of the de jure duchy of Thrace with capital at Constantinople. The best capital as King of Burgundy would be Bourgogne or Province with peripheral holdings in their respective duchies... etc...

2- Whether or not to invest in your capital depends on your current upwards mobility. In other words if you have a lot of ability to expand at the present moment (lots of opportunity to take land from feasible opponents) then it is wise to save money for mercenaries to bolster your forces. If you are landlocked within powerful foes who one or two mercenary bands could not even hope to defeat (A situation you may often face if you play smaller nations in eastern europe), or if you are a vassal character with the long term goal of gaining your lieges throne, it is wise to improve your provinces to get more tax and troops. Remember, just trying to steamroll everyone with mercenaries is not always the best solution in the long term.

3- It is explained adequately above.

4- If you make one of your bishops an anti-pope you can march down to Rome and claim the papacy for him. If you are a King or below then he will just be really grateful and give you whatever you ask for for the term of his papacy. If you are an emperor the pope becomes your vassal and he will give you wahtever you want for as long as the papacy is a vassal title with you as its liege.

Anti-popes are perhaps the single most powerful tool for a Catholic character in the game. Providing you are emperor tier, popes will just give you free claims on any duchy owned by any character just for asking them. Take all of europe without ever talking to your chancellor again!

5. when the pope calls a crusade, a red cross banner hangs from your main character portrait on the top left. click it and use the left arrow button on that page to join.

Welcome to CKII!!