• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jedmeister

Recruit
Mar 30, 2014
I would like to campaign for the ability to create and modify great mage starting perks. This feature is currently missing, and would really benefit modders.

If this feature could be implemented, I can very easily mod a starting perk-package for the AI to give it a good boost, which I am sure would please all those players out there who complain about the AI not keeping up. The kind of package I would mod (meant for AI only) would be simple: +20 melee/ranged defence, +15 other resistances, +25% unit power, +5xp per turn (makes those 'fresh recruits' a bit more intimidating and is needed as the AI can struggle to keep units alive long enough to get experienced), and +5 to the optimum number of AI cities (to encourage larger AI empires, given its dislike of building special cities, and the stagnation point where it reaches its cap).

I believe this sort of mod would allow the AI to stand a better chance and be more of a threat in the mid to late game, to compensate for the fact that extra resources alone (on high difficulties) doesn't necessarily mean tough, upgraded or veteran units (too many variables and in many situations the AI struggles to maintain its threat)

Other really useful additions:
Allowing for adding to the list of special cities that can be converted, and further improvement to racial cities modifications in general. (I want to create a very powerful but extremely expensive 'citadel' city - a super-fortification which can produce it's own stationary 'citadel guards' unit, and has a larger border area
Better customisation of shard sizes in the map editor (currently slave to universe size still, and now all tiny too?).

I am trying to create new special cities which can be converted to, but the implementation of it actually working is messy and I don't think it is possible in the editor at this time? The cities that are available to be built appear to be limited by what is on offer in the 'founding' unit actions, which appears to be inflexible and not changable in the editor.

Much as I would like to try and achieve these things at an XML level, it is a) beyond my skills as I am not experienced, and b) looking very complicated. I messed with total war games before and that was relatively simple, but this is not such a breeze...

For the first part of your post you need to examine "fractions" and "fractionImprovements" parts of data.xml, it's really intuitive and after some test you'll get the idea.
But you should be aware if just implement all your changes ("+20 melee/ranged defence, +15 other resistances, +25% unit power, +5xp per turn") to all fractions but yours,
you will not balance AI in any way but for you the game become unbearable in some way.
Try to start from adding only 5-6xp per turn and gameplay will change.

Samael187 - I was looking at the fractionImprovements as it became clear that they were linked to the perk data. I suppose I had better go back and give it another go sometime when I have a few hours spare :p
As for the changes, the idea is that I would create a 'super perk' (or a number of perks costing 1 point if that is easier' which would be labelled as an 'AI-boost perk' in the selector so players knew not to select it, and then simply assign all mages to start with the perk in the editor. When setting up a game, player perk choice should override the default perks, meaning that the AI ends up with the boost and not the player.
As far as adding all the changes, my reasoning is that at the moment the AI ends up pumping out a load of non-upgraded troops anyway, while their best stuff always falls behind the upgrades that the player ends up packing on his core troops. The resistance boosts are not actually that much, when you consider that they are all just the equivelant of a couple of upgrades which the AI is likely to be missing anyway, and meanwhile an extra 25% of not-very-much base power is not a huge boost either - again, the AI does not stack power and magic upgrades like the player does, and always lags behind. If you consider this as being like giving all the AI troops maybe 3-4 unit upgrade perks the AI units would otherwise be missing, then on paper it should work out quite well to keep the AI competative. Then add in the 5xp per turn, and you will actually see some veteran units too, meaning that the AI can actually feild a few hardcore units! (I so, so desperately want a challenge....)