• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Klekavian

Recruit
36 Badges
Dec 6, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
Can Catholics not usurp?

I wanted to usurp the duchy of Upper Burgundy. I have 4/6 de jure counties. The current duke has none. I don't have the usurp button - instead there is a "claim" button that asks the pope for a claim. Does this mean Catholics have to go through the pope before usurping claims, or is it something else? Because I have no idea why I can't usurp this duchy.

Last edited:
You can no longer usurp from your own religion if the character holding the title still has de Jure land.

So remove the last two Counties of Upper Burgundy and you can usurp as much as you'd like.

Are you under any duke currently? You can never usurp/create the same tier title as your direct liege.

I'm not under any duke. I'm a count and a direct vassal of the king.

You can no longer usurp from your own religion if the character holding the title still has de Jure land.

So remove the last two Counties of Upper Burgundy and you can usurp as much as you'd like.

But the character holding the title doesn't have any of the de jure counties. The last two are held by foreign powers.

The current duke is my ally - my brother-in-law. Does this matter? Or maybe can you not usurp a duchy if it's that character's only duchy title?

EDIT: He's also currently imprisoned by the king. Dunno if that's relevant.

Correction. You cannot usurp from rulers of OTHER religions if the ruler holding the title still has de jure land.

Try saving and reloading. Even if there is a war going on for the title, the "Usurp" button should be there but grayed out.

Edit: ninja'ed.

What? You can no longer usurp from a different religious group if the character still has de jure land. I never heard anything about also not being able to usurp from your own religion, and that would make usurpations practically nonexistent.