• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hinforta

Captain
53 Badges
Jul 31, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Just what the hell? I started a game as an Irish count elected my daughter as a ruler. And then this started happening - every single one of them by the age of 18-19 after giving a birth to a child/getting pregnant gains the Pneumonia trait immediately and dies after a while. Is this a bug or what? Is it trying to imitate the poor irish climate? I've never seen that in the game and that nearly ruins everything. It's most certainly not fun either, I can't do anything. Below the screens of poor souls:

Oh, and I'm writing it here, because I'm not sure if this has something to do with bugs or not. Either way, I'm grateful for your advice, because I'm sure that my last ruler will most likely die from pneumonic lunatic infirm plague for asking questions or something. :)

This game is notorious for giving you bad streaks which will make you swear either the RNG Gods are taking a piss on you or god almighty himself is taking a crack at you and making you feel the pain that people suffered in the middle ages through a digital screen.

All in all I can say this is most likely just bad luck and like I said...spooky action at a distance...but take your pick.

Yeah I suffer from the same kinds of streaks...wether that be that every genius I get is a daughter in a whole game session or every great son dies in his tweens for miraculous reasons...sometimes...gaming runs can be really weird like that...

I've literaly had a 5 games when I began playing CK2 where my character just died within 5 years due to whatever odd reason...it wasn't even as if the guy was old or anything, nope RNG just decide to kill him off with magical methodology. The sixth game ofcourse he never died and lived untill the ripe old age of 90 of which 20 were as an incapable maimed drooling bag of ****...(back before they nerfed your rulers max age)

For a few months, maybe since SoA, "Pneumonia" also seems to represent death by puerpereal fever/birth-related complications in the game. I think it's rather realistic given the high maternal mortality in the timeframe, but calling it "pneumonia" is a bit strange - did Paradox run out of "slots" for causes of death? As for it happening 3 times in a row, I guess it's just bad look.

Actually i feel like i've noticed this too. I know women are supposed to die in birth since SoA but i never see them actually die from birth. I do see them die almost immediately after from pneumonia. Maybe its a bug?

There's an event that triggers on giving birth that gives them "illness", I'm pretty sure dying with illness gives you "died of x" where x is based on the location, whether there's a measles type outbreak going on there, etc.. So yes, it's dying of complications from childbirth, the game just doesn't have that scripted out as a separate death event with localization.

So you think it's just a bad luck? I hope you're right, because there were already two major revolts (both rebels I've executed, of course. You just don't revolt against a toddler, that's against every law possible). Now those damn vikings pillaging my lands due to my age, for some reason. Well, let's hope that my current ruler won't die from complications for asking, where children come from. :)

actually i feel like i've noticed this too. I know women are supposed to die in birth since soa but i never see them actually die from birth. I do see them die almost immediately after from pneumonia. Maybe its a bug?
wad

Why you think the romans stopped conquering Great Britain ;) , during that period it was one hellhole .
Finally got a army across the sea , all they do is fighting eachother revolting and then famine and plagues .
Then have to give up cause always revolts and revolts and revolts ...

The stacks of unlimited 4-5k revolts are tiresome , when have to slowly cross another 6k across .

Here I was thinking lets go pillage and loot some people ;)

You should get south european noble women to bare childeren , one of them made a total of 8 childeren , surviving 4 husbands , became the queen of scotland , till the hubby died and the heir was queen of scotland , before being pillaged by another scotishe person >.<

That country is crazy in old gods :p

So no one has said this yet, but I'm pretty sure when a character dies outside of a plot or battle, the death is attributed to whatever is most contributing to their lack of health. Your wife died in childbirth while she had pneumonia, the game atrributes this to pneumonia because of its high -health value. If she didn't have pneumonia then, she likely would have lived. If she had only had pneumonia and not been pregnant, she also likely would have lived. The chance of death in childbirth is based on the characters health (pretty sure; not positive).

Women still die (officially) from childbirth, but usually only if they do not have a health malus.

And as to why they all have pneumonia, it's Ireland dude, the climate is wretched. There's a very important event in Irish History where even potatoes couldn't survive there (any idea how hard it is to f*** up a potato?) S*** dies in Ireland all the time, especially when there's no medicine anywhere. Honestly I've always thought not enough people die of disease die in this game.

Last edited:
So no one has said this yet, but I'm pretty sure when a character dies outside of a plot or battle, the death is attributed to whatever is most contributing to their lack of health. Your wife died in childbirth while she had pneumonia, the game atrributes this to pneumonia because of its high -health value. If she didn't have pneumonia then, she likely would have lived. If she had only had pneumonia and not been pregnant, she also likely would have lived. The chance of death in childbirth is based on the characters health (pretty sure; not positive).

Women still die (officially) from childbirth, but usually only if they do not have a health malus.

And as to why they all have pneumonia, it's Ireland dude, the climate is wretched. There's a very important event in Irish History where even potatoes couldn't survive there (any idea how hard it is to f*** up a potato?) S*** dies in Ireland all the time, especially when there's no medicine anywhere. Honestly I've always thought not enough people die of disease die in this game.

No arguing there, my problem with is that it happens immediately, when a child is born. I mean, at first you get ill and then, if you have a bad luck, you'll get Pneumonia as a severe trait. It didn't happen to my female rulers, the instant they got pregnant/gave a birth to a child, they got Pneumonia. Now I know that it happens due to their low health because of birth and that game doesn't have any functions to make it look like a complication, so the closest thing for the game to make it look like a complication is make a character gain a Pneumonia trait. Basically what brifbates said.

As to what you said about the poor climate - that's awesome, I wish it were sooner in the game. I just wish that the game showed me all of this. Well, so far so good, my ruler-toddler is still alive. :)