• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

General Karthos

General
62 Badges
Aug 24, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
So, I have a quick question. When I'm defending against a Jihad (say, for the holy land, which happens to be under my control) I know I get a vassal opinion bonus. This thing has been going on for nearly five years already and it's nowhere near getting resolved. If I commit all my forces (from the British Isles) I'll be unable to resist any factions that make demands of me after the war for several years, but I will almost certainly win the war. Do I get an opinion bonus for winning the Jihad?

You get prestige and piety from it, which obviously slightly increases vassal opinion.

Aside from that, no.

It's always bugged me, actually, that not only do you not get an opinion bonus for fighting off a Jihad (the exception being the Byzantines, who get an Imperial Triumph with a +20 vassal opinion if a Jihad (and possibly a Mongol Invasion) is fought off), but your vassals also don't care what happened on your crusade as long as you went on it. Your Crusade could have been a rousing First Crusade-style success, or alternatively it could have been a pathetic Second Crusade-style failure (showing that even in the medieval period, quality sequels were a problem). Either way you still get the snazzy Crusader/Mujahid trait, even if you only brought shame and dishonour on yourself by failing utterly in the whole purpose of the expedition.

Well, that's great. I already have 15,000 prestige and am rapidly approaching 10,000 piety. At least while I'm fighting, my vassals are content to SIT THE HELL DOWN AND SHUT THE F*** UP.

Ah well. I may as well fight the good fight if I'm really gonna roleplay my leader. I'm off to raise the largest army the world has ever seen, and transport it on the largest fleet the world has ever seen to go fight in the Holy Land.

Thanks for the help though.

Don't assume that you will be unable to fend off any factions if you commit all your forces. Instead of sending extra troops to the area under attack, send them to the Caliph's capital and assault down his territory. You might get lucky and capture his heir. But, even if you don't, taking his personal holdings is an easy way to accumulate quick warscore without losing a lot of troops.

I had an Indian sultan Jihad me for Africa of all places. I was Byzantium. There was basically no one else joining his jihad so I just waited it out.

You vassals won't care whether you win or lose and will do whatever they feel like doing. If you raised their levies (although you're defending so they shouldn't mind) they may get mad.

Sticking your martial to raise levies in your capital is essential in warding off potential threats. Try to use your chancellor during the war to boost relations with your vassals.

Oh and try not to lose your demense levies either.