• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sweboy

Lt. General
25 Badges
Sep 29, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Argh. After engineering so that my kings grandson would inherit not only the crowns of Ireland, Wales and Brittany everything collapsed. My heir died (under Gavelkind) with the result my second son inherited Ireland and the Scottish lands and my grandson got Wales due to primogenitor (and is the bloody heir not only to Brittany but Normandy). All my scheming to expand into France and trying to recreate the Angevin empire via Ireland and wales has crumbled to ashes. I probably ned to invite my nephews for a daytrip to the Tower...(and change my name to Richard III).

Any ideas how to sort this or is it just murder and mayhem that is the road forward.

The answer in CK2 is always either:

1) Have someone assassinated/plot-killed
2) Have a good tumble

Given that the ruler of Ireland and Scotland is presumably your brother/close male relative, and you presumably aren't Cersei Lannister, my advice is to utilise option 1 repeatedly and without remorse.

I like to play the inheritance game as well. However I have learned to be detached about it. As something unexpected always happens. But elective or seniority can bring your inheritances together. Something very creative is being elective with you as the only vote. That lets you pick which son inherits.

My favorite sort of elective is Tanistry because of the lack of risk of a nonrelative being elected. That and careful marriages to get claims is how I united the British isles into the empire of Abla during the 900s during one game the trick after that was holding on the rest of the game to the empire in spite of lemming uprisings of claimants.

I probably end up murdering them as I couldn't marry the king of Wales with my kings daughter. Alas the plot power is rather low. Max 80%. Don't think tranistry can save me know as the crown has moved out Ireland and since Wales laws are different seniority can't reunite the crowns or can it!

I wasn't aware that my realm had reverted to gavelkind until too late! Due to a succession of short lived monarchs and then a very messy series of civil wars I missed that someone changed the inheritance laws ( crown went from me to female cousin to maternal grandfather and then back to me). Need to survive ten years now so I can change to primogeniture.

Gavelkind, great slayer of empires and crusher of dreams. Gavelkind is the most vile and detestable inheritance law to which anything is preferable. The best succession law in my opinion is Tanistry but, as it is only available to Celts, I recommend using Ultimogeniture to keep your low-CL empire together until you can finally claw your way up to Primogentiure.

Argh. Not only is my nephew, who is a tyrant, also king of Brittany and Ireland. He has randomly become the heir to Scotland! No idea how Scotland came into existence again. After murdering my way through the kings of scotland it vanished after being spit in two by me. Could it have anything to do with the heir being a minor and the realm coming back on his majority. Why he is the heir is another mystery. My nephew has no connection to Scotland and is married to his cousin (my sister) who had no claim. With the luck of that branch of the family he will probably inherit Scotland before I can usurp the title and then randomly become king of England!