• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MrElm

Private
16 Badges
May 2, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
So I'm playing as the Ottoman Empire and want to take back some more of the Egyptian cores. Soon the UK and US intervene with status quo casus belli... I destroy them when they land and occupy all of Egypt except Crete. War score 35% and only need 19% to get the cores. Wait... wait some more... and then Russia enters the war on UK's side. I then reload to play as the UK in order to get those cores. This isn't very fun as it feels like cheating, but the AI was just extremely unreasonable, I think if you have like 10%-points more war score than demanded your demands should be given into automatically if the war has lasted for, let's say one year. Why did the UK enter the war in the first place?... Nothing in it for them, just seems like bullying...

UK will mostly intervene in any war if 1. it is friendly with attacked country and 2. you seem to be an easy target.

About warscore, the AI will sign when they think they can't handle the war anymore. Since UK intervene and he is the warleader, he will not give a damn about Egypt until you screw it instead. By a rule of thumb if UK is involved in a war against you, you better be able to occupy UK mainland or a white peace is almost inevitable...

They intervene because Egypt is close enough to be in their sphere and they'd rather limit your expansion, seems reasonnable.

On the warscore, it's possible to enforce wargoals against the UK without occupying their homelands, it just takes a bit more time and it realizes it won't win. You can't expect a +10% bonus in war score to force a negociation because you could just jump on a few scattered armies and accumulate warscore in a few months, while it's understandable that a Great Power would be more resilient than that.

Put it this way - imagine yourself in the spot of UK, you are the world's #1 power, why would you not meddle in everyone's affairs and dictate how the world is shaped? I, as the player, would definitely be all over that (and often am) - an aggressive player would always want not just conquests for himself, but also to keep his friends strong, his enemies weak and to keep a balance of power in specific regions he/she is interested in. In this case, UK and other countries want to keep the balance of power between Egypt and yourself, while Russia is just evil and hates you by default.

US is probably interested in Suez Canal just like UK and they'd prefer it to be covered from both sides with friendly Egypt (since you need to have them sphered to make it anyway), not a potential rival.

You say it's bullying. Well, it pretty much is, but it sounds reasonable to me, given the context. The eastern Mediterranean was quite an issue in those days. When it seemed like Russia had a chance of becoming a naval power there, Britain and France intervened. Now, if the Ottoman Empire rose to strength again and became a naval power in the eastern Mediterranean, Britain would have definitely smacked them down at some point. And Russia would have joined in because picking on the Ottomans was Russia's national pastime. Also, Egypt is pretty strategic. I can understand why other countries would be keen on not letting you have it.

Continuing the game... It seems that the AI is more eager to give up against another AI. For some reason the US demanded that I cede Aleppo to Egypt in an international crisis (1914...). The UK and Japan, my allies joined my side after the US declared war and I became a junior partner... The UK didn't bother defending the main island and got invaded. War score was barely what was required for Aleppo and then the UK gave it to the US... Reloading and trying to solve this somehow... again. The UK intervening in the Mediterranean seems reasonable, I was just quite annoyed when writing. But the US? I don't think I should have to cede territory when they never even managed to invade me or win a single battle against the Ottoman army.