• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

awzc26

Captain
35 Badges
Feb 12, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
So, my first RoI game I'm doing is a standard Hindu one, and I recently invaded Sri Lanka, which I thought would be the perfect place for a merchant republic. So I open up the diplomacy tab for the mayor I wanted to promote, and try to gift him his county, only the game won't let me because the guy is on the third tier in the caste system. So I revoke his city to give to someone on the second tier, only to find out that they can't be given cities :angry: In short this means that I would have to convert to another religion just to set up a republic.

I have a couple of alternative ideas that I think could work as solutions...

1) Don't make it impossible to grant titles based on rank, but instead give big prestige and karma penalties for not doing it the correct way. I would prefer this for a number of reasons - in my game, my ruler had a 3rd tier wife and a 2nd tier concubine, giving me some children from one caste and some from the other. When my 2nd tier heir inherited the throne I was unable to land his siblings at all despite there constant requests.

2) Alternatively, you could just make it so that you can give titles out to people who are already landed regardless of caste as these people represent the powerful Indian nobility. Although I prefer the first option for the reason given above this would also at least solve the primary issue!

What do you guys think?

I didn't have a problem making a merchant republic in the exact same place as a Hindu. I'll have to load up the game to see what his caste is, but I was able to make the Most Serene Republic of Lanka without too much trouble.

I didn't have a problem making a merchant republic in the exact same place as a Hindu. I'll have to load up the game to see what his caste is, but I was able to make the Most Serene Republic of Lanka without too much trouble.

Strange... Can I ask, was your mayor hindu? If so, how did you do it?

does that end an iron man save

I have no idea what you mean... These are two suggested ideas for the next patch.

build a city or find a city with a warrior/king caste mayor or kill the mayor of a specific city until one with the 2nd caste spawns (the mayors have a 1/3 chance of spawning with either caste).
Then grant them the Countie title - then duchie and so on
-> Merchant Republic

build a city or find a city with a warrior/king caste mayor or kill the mayor of a specific city until one with the 2nd caste spawns (the mayors have a 1/3 chance of spawning with either caste).
Then grant them the Countie title - then duchie and so on
-> Merchant Republic

Nice, thanks for that, it's good to see a work around. I still think the first solution I offered in the OP would improve several issues people are having with the caste system being a bit buggy (in case anyone from Paradox is reading :D )

sorry poor choice of words i mean i didnt think it was possible to change from feudal to republic without getting gameover

It isn't, but, if you are a feudal monarch you can create a republic for someone else by granting a mayor a county and then a duchy. That the Hindus seem to be unable to do this is the point of this thread.

Grant your unlanded heir a city title, he will become a mayor. Then a give him county title, he will become a Lord Mayor. You can see where this is going.

Grant your unlanded heir a city title, he will become a mayor. Then a give him county title, he will become a Lord Mayor. You can see where this is going.

I'm not sure you read the original post. There are three different caste traits available. Lets call them C1, C2 and C3 for brevities sake. Now, as a Hindu, you can only give C1 characters temples, C2 characters castles/county titles and c3 characters cities. In your proposed solution, my unlanded heir would have to be a C3 character to get a city. I would then not be able to give him a county title. If he was a C2 character, giving him a city in the first place would be impossible.

I was responding more to this.

sorry poor choice of words i mean i didnt think it was possible to change from feudal to republic without getting gameover

Of course you must have The Republic DLC.

I don't know why you can't grant a your heir a city as a Hindu, especially if the grantee is of the Merchant caste. I think you should be able to grant a character of any caste a city title, and have to deal with the consequences.

I was responding more to this.

Of course you must have The Republic DLC.

I don't know why you can't grant a your heir a city as a Hindu, especially if the grantee is of the Merchant caste. I think you should be able to grant a character of any caste a city title, and have to deal with the consequences.

Yeah, I think rather then making it impossible just give big karma/prestige hits for doing it.