Launcher Problem? WIF II / All in One

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

parnis

Captain
17 Badges
Sep 29, 2012
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
I'm sorry to repeat a question that has probably been asked and answered a number of times, but I couldn't find an answer that I could understand.

I've always played DH Full Vanilla, version 1.03 RC3, letter code BYGX. I would like to try World in Flames. I followed the directions in the "Installation instructions for World in Flames" section of the "ALL IN ONE for World in Flames II for DH 1.03 RC3" thread as far as the fourth bullet point, and everything seemed to go OK. I did not understand understand the 5th and 6th bullet points because they seemed to call for a second download, but there did not seem to be second download link.

However, I thought things might have gone all right, because when I launched DH, World in Flames II showed up in the "Load a Mod" box, complete with the "ALL IN ONE" logo. However, selecting it did nothing. The game came up as Darkest Hour Full vanilla, letter code BYGX. In fact, I could not select Darkest Hour Light either; that also came up as Darkest Hour Full. That is why I think my launcher might be at fault.

When I launch DH, I normally get a message box saying "Error was encountered when writing to the configuration file and the settings could not be saved. Do you want to run the game with previous settings anyway? Yes/No". I thought this had something to with the "compatibility files" problem I sometime have with save-games. Trying now, I find that selecting either yes or no makes no difference to the problem of being able to launch only DH Full. I have also tried rebooting, because that is the only thing I could think of to try.

So I guess my questions are:

Is my launcher broken?

Did I download World in Flames, but not the All in One mod?

Or did I screw up the download of WIF altogether? (It seems to be there, in my "World in Flames II folder" under Mods; the scenarios referred to in the All in One thread are there.

Sorry again to beat a simple problem (I hope) to death, and thanks in advance for any help.

I´d rather doubt that the launcher itself is broken, but suspect something has gone wrong with the installation.

Assuming you´re using Windows 7, did you install your game to a different folder than "programs" (or whatever your default destination has been) and do you run it in Admin-mode?

Thanks, Blecky. My computer uses a late-model of Window Vista. I am aware of Vista's reputation (and it is security-obsessed) but it has not given me any problems. But I may not have run the launcher as an administrator; I will try that next.

Blecky's suggestion of running as administrator resulted in progress. Now World In Flames / All in One actually starts to load...and crashes to desktop instantly. I'm going to try vanilla WIF now.