• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Relatively rare chance for extra death. Best circumstance i ever had with disease was in a mod. Knahaten Flu which was truly lethal and killed most of the world. This was in the elder scrolls and gave the actual impression of lethal disease. Its a trifle in the base game that can be largely ignored.

Disease doesn't do much of anything, except raise the chance that a character will die (and I think it lowers supply in a province to an extent).

Of course, if we make it so disease actually has some major effect (after say adding population) I'd like to have the ability to have my armies attempt to spread diseases.

It's mostly a pain in the *** when sieging holdings that have disease outbreak because you can suddenly take heavy attrition. It can also randomly kill you or family members, tho I have to say that all my rulers usually tend to recover from pretty much every disease quite easily. I also don't know if it's just me but Greece/Anatolia seems to be constantly ravaged by one disease after the next in my games.

Diseases make people with them more likely to die by reducing their health (which is also the stat used to determine how likely they are to recover (does not apply to all diseases) and has a large influence on how long they'll live if they aren't killed). Additionally, most diseases lower other stats and fertility. Except for Generic Illness ("Ill"), Pneumonia, and Leprosy, all diseases can be "epidemics", which affect whole counties and can spread to characters in that county. When a county has an epidemic, the tax income is substantially reduced, I think the levies are reduced, supply limits are greatly reduced, can the outbreak can spread to neighboring counties.

Bubonic Plague kills the hell out of everyone (or at least tries to) by reducing all afflicted characters' health by 7. The most health any normal character should be born with is 6, so that means that unless the victim is Strong, their health will be reduced to zero, making them much more likely to die. So that it doesn't actually kill everyone, there is no health requirement for recovery.

A dynamic population would be awesome. But in the meanwhile, couldnt they just implement a province effect that reduces income and levy by a percentage for disease? They already do this for tax income with the robber events when you have negative treasury right?

A dynamic population would be awesome. But in the meanwhile, couldnt they just implement a province effect that reduces income and levy by a percentage for disease? They already do this for tax income with the robber events when you have negative treasury right?

Problem with this is when disease is over, province should not go back to normal (well depending on disease). Some plaguses should cause long term damage. Like it happened in Spain.

Black Death can certainly have a tree-trimming effect on your family
Problem is, this game uses a flat -health system. In real life, the deadliest plagues were just survivable enough that they could infect a few more people around them, before they die. In this game it's nothing like that.

If they added in dynamic diseases, you just know someone would mod in a zombie plague. That would be both awesome and hilarious.

Problem with this is when disease is over, province should not go back to normal (well depending on disease). Some plaguses should cause long term damage. Like it happened in Spain.

You could implement this with a "recently diseased" modifier, similar to the "recently conquered" modifier after taking a territory.

As far as diseases, I find that any wife is usually dead by 35 because of the "ill" diesease. As far as rulers and heirs, my only concern is getting pneumonia before age 5 or after age 40. Outside of those factors, my ruler usually is cured from any other disease after a few weeks. I've never had the black death event, and "the great pox" can occassionally get a ruler or wife in the span of 300 years.

As far as general effect, the biggest thing I notice is that attricition hurts my army a bit faster.