What is the thing you hate the absolute most about DH?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's not DH's fault, but an issue with the HoI2 engine. However, the way naval combat - especially carriers and air units - is handled always makes me weep.

[rant]

Why can't I define my own tags!?
It tells me its invalid, which means its checking against a list of approved tags, but why are the approved tags hardcoded at all?
As far as I can tell this offers no practical benefits... I know the engine has to read every tag that exists, even those not on the map but surely it doesn't have to read every tag that could exist? Clearly it goes down a list when checking all these tags.... so just load all the "user defined tags" into that list at game start.... that shouldn't be that difficult... or cause that much of a slowdown... I'd expect.

Sorry, I just started trying my hand at modding... this limitation is really striking, not only because it reduces the readability of the code unnecessarily (U09, obviously that means Austria-Hungary!), not only while modding, since the "user defined" U00 - U99 are used for DHfull as well... it makes understanding the underlying code that much more difficult!
Hoowever, because the U00 - U99 are used for DHfull, it severely limits the amount of user content that can be added to this... which makes me kinda sad... I won't *need* more tags than the ~10 that *are* still free... U07, U36, ... and others one has to dig through DHfull to find, scattered randomly through the UXXs for no discernible reason...
and with no guarantee of forwards availability! If a future DH update comes along and inserts whatever-istan into the tag U07 then if I arbitrarily chose to use that tag, I have to go through and rewrite all my modded stuff. :(

My understanding is this carries over from HOI2 where apparently they had U00 - U19... but this means that DHfull now supports fewer! user defined countries than HOI2!
Obviously if you build a scenario from the ground up, U00 - U99 + available tags for countries is quite a bit, but not every mod is gonna want to be a new scenario from the ground up... Indeed limitations such as this make ideas such as fusing DHfull, Kaiserreich, and AAR impossible, which is unfortunate.

[/rant]

[rant]

Why can't I define my own tags!?
It tells me its invalid, which means its checking against a list of approved tags, but why are the approved tags hardcoded at all?
As far as I can tell this offers no practical benefits... I know the engine has to read every tag that exists, even those not on the map but surely it doesn't have to read every tag that could exist? Clearly it goes down a list when checking all these tags.... so just load all the "user defined tags" into that list at game start.... that shouldn't be that difficult... or cause that much of a slowdown... I'd expect.

Sorry, I just started trying my hand at modding... this limitation is really striking, not only because it reduces the readability of the code unnecessarily (U09, obviously that means Austria-Hungary!), not only while modding, since the "user defined" U00 - U99 are used for DHfull as well... it makes understanding the underlying code that much more difficult!
Hoowever, because the U00 - U99 are used for DHfull, it severely limits the amount of user content that can be added to this... which makes me kinda sad... I won't *need* more tags than the ~10 that *are* still free... U07, U36, ... and others one has to dig through DHfull to find, scattered randomly through the UXXs for no discernible reason...
and with no guarantee of forwards availability! If a future DH update comes along and inserts whatever-istan into the tag U07 then if I arbitrarily chose to use that tag, I have to go through and rewrite all my modded stuff. :(

My understanding is this carries over from HOI2 where apparently they had U00 - U19... but this means that DHfull now supports fewer! user defined countries than HOI2!
Obviously if you build a scenario from the ground up, U00 - U99 + available tags for countries is quite a bit, but not every mod is gonna want to be a new scenario from the ground up... Indeed limitations such as this make ideas such as fusing DHfull, Kaiserreich, and AAR impossible, which is unfortunate.

[/rant]
It's hardcoded in a variety of places by Paradox and it's not as easy as you think it is. Also, we DO have U00-U99 and we DO support more than HoI2, it just happens that we use them for revolters. Some of those revolters can be replaced with little to no impact on the game itself as they aren't major countries. In fact, we have removed quite a few ourselves during development. Also, fusing DHF, AAR, and KR is not impossible at all, I can think of how to do it, just don't have time. It's called tag sharing. As for the forwards availability part, no guarantees on that, but allowing users to define a TAG list is on our feature request list.
No reason to build anything other than infantry.
See Lucifer's AARs for why you build things other than infantry.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know, if it were that easy, it'd have been done already... just shows why hardcoding things is silly.
Just frustrating sinking several hours to make *sure* I couldn't define my own tags... since I didn't believe the people who said it couldn't be done...

and because I hoped that it had already been changed in an update :p

Yeah, I know, if it were that easy, it'd have been done already... just shows why hardcoding things is silly.
Just frustrating sinking several hours to make *sure* I couldn't define my own tags... since I didn't believe the people who said it couldn't be done...

and because I hoped that it had already been changed in an update :p

MartinBG has said before that if someone demonstrates to him a need for new tags (note that some countries may not need new tags due to being able to be tag shared as there are country flag/name extensions) he will be happy to include more. We do want to have a long term solution of allowing user defined tags however, so I suppose I can poke him again on that, but no guarantees it will be in 1.04. It may have to wait for 1.05 or later.

The Soviet 100 unit even is good. The Svoviets were too easy before. You could destroy their whole army before you got to Minsk.

What annoys me is:
U-boats are useless because overseas trade doesn't use transports and it effectively makes starving England impossible.

Also, i'd like to be able to create understrength units to represent Volksgrenadiers and such.

No reason to build anything other than infantry.

This one. This game is far too vulnerable to the massing of one unit type. Someone playing a strategy game and just spamming a single unit type should get steamrolled. Especially when it's a World War 2 game and foot-slogging infantry were proven to be one of the more obsolete types of unit.

The lack of AoD-style advanced sliders.
yes. thats really important if you're used to play AoD. i cant remember how i played HoI2 without, seriously.

The over stockpile limit loss causing the auto-trade feature to think I am short on a resource I have in excess.

Can you point specifically where in the AAR?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?688899-AARchtung-panzer!-II-(WiF2)&p=15596017&viewfull=1#post15596017

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?688899-AARchtung-panzer!-II-(WiF2)/page3

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?688899-AARchtung-panzer!-II-(WiF2)&p=16100686&viewfull=1#post16100686

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?688899-AARchtung-panzer!-II-(WiF2)&p=16176099&viewfull=1#post16176099

...among lots of them.

Almost all my INF come from the Wehrmacht event, my main lines were for GAR. Almost all the ICs have devoted to build something else than INF.Germany has at least a little of everything, except for CV and STR. It has even MAR, quite a lot of brigades, and a decent number of AA guns. So, definitively, INF is not my priority.

Even if, as opposed to what had been written before, most of the German forces in 1940 were composed of INF. And one of the factor why the Germans lost Stalingrad was because they had lost way too many horses before. There are too many myths about the mechanization of the Heer that are considered as being the truth IMO.

Sad note, I just realized that lots of the updates in the AAR have been deleted/lost by imageshack. I will have to post them again, later.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?688899-AARchtung-panzer!-II-(WiF2)&p=15596017&viewfull=1#post15596017

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?688899-AARchtung-panzer!-II-(WiF2)/page3

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?688899-AARchtung-panzer!-II-(WiF2)&p=16100686&viewfull=1#post16100686

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?688899-AARchtung-panzer!-II-(WiF2)&p=16176099&viewfull=1#post16176099

...among lots of them.

Almost all my INF come from the Wehrmacht event, my main lines were for GAR. Almost all the ICs have devoted to build something else than INF.Germany has at least a little of everything, except for CV and STR. It has even MAR, quite a lot of brigades, and a decent number of AA guns. So, definitively, INF is not my priority.

Even if, as opposed to what had been written before, most of the German forces in 1940 were composed of INF. And one of the factor why the Germans lost Stalingrad was because they had lost way too many horses before. There are too many myths about the mechanization of the Heer that are considered as being the truth IMO.

Sad note, I just realized that lots of the updates in the AAR have been deleted/lost by imageshack. I will have to post them again, later.

Mediafire's better. ^^

My knowledge on that was quite limited. I use Imgur now. Anyway, I have all the saves, only the time is missing.