• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fabiano79

Captain
50 Badges
May 29, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
Im a long owner of this game, but never actually play it. Lack of time and the compulsion of buying lots of new stuff every steam sale made me almost forgot I had it. Finally, I gave it a try and its amazing, I like EU IV a lot, but CK is just so more immersive, Im love with the storytelling and roleplay.

But I have some question about the mechanics, because a lot of things are new to me or are different from the EU series. I read some guides, and I think I understand the basics, but theres some things that I cant find an answer. Playing as a Norse (looting is a fantastic feature):

1 - Where should I place my spymaster to study tech? What Im looking for to decide this?
2 - It seems I cant remove sons from the sucession line by giving them a temple. Im doing something wrong or the Norses dont have this option?
3 - It impossible to get more than your CB demands at the end of a war? Lets say I have a CB to one county, but what I really want is to make the Duchy my vassal.
4 - Should I reform my religion as soon as possible?
5 - By what time I will start to see the formation of the major countries? When the expansion of Catholicism will begin to be a problem?

Cheers

1. In any province that's ahead of you in techs you care about. Early game you probably care about ships, military organization and legalism, so if you can find a province that's ahead of you in all of them, put him there. Later, when you buy a few techs, you may want to move him elsewhere. The more techs the province is ahead of you in, the more techs spread to you.

(Edit: To find such provinces, choose the map to show progress in that tech from the tech screen. Since you are Norse, you may be ahead in shipbuilding already, so I would concentrate on MO and legalism.)

2. Norse temple holders can inherit. It's a Christian thing to be ineligible.

3. Yes, the CB completely decides how the war can end, both what you can win and what you can lose. Unlike in EU, CB is very important.

4. If you want to stay Norse, probably yes. You can convert to Christianity or Islam if they send a preacher or if you find yourself attacked.

5. Depends... The TOG start is quite chaotic. Generally, pagans begin to convert en masse from 930 on, but it'll take decades for them all to go, and if anyone reforms they'll be more resilient. Military Organization tech level 4 is required by Catholics to really start spreading into the baltic, because those pagans get a defensive bonus until then.

Last edited:
Thank you Childer, great help.

Ah, another question.

If I cant remove sons from the succession line "marrying them with religion", what usually people do? Let the older plot the murder of the younger?

Last edited:
3 - It impossible to get more than your CB demands at the end of a war? Lets say I have a CB to one county, but what I really want is to make the Duchy my vassal.
Childer gave you a good reply, but there is one exception that looks more like a bug than anything. If you have more than one strong claim on a duchy (thanks to "fabricate claim" option, for example), you can pick "press all [strong] claims" option. If you'll get another strong claim during the war, and you'll enforce your demands, you'll get that county you've got new claim on, too.

Other than this one exception, CB can't be changed and limits you in what you can achieve, just as previous poster wrote.

If I cant remove sons from the succession line "marrying them with religion", what usually people do? Let the older plot the murder of the younger?

I generally try to limit my breeding until I can reform or if I play with Romuva, then it's relatively easy to remove your heirs from gavelkind by giving them duchy titles around Lithuania as there are so many to go around in the area. Suomenusko Perm or Finland can also achieve this. Slavic kingdoms have ton of duchies so managing heirs in those is easy too, though only Ruthenia is in any decent position to reform. Poland needs to do some serious fabricating for the scattered holy sites, even if they own one.

Romuva is by far the easiest of the three baltic religions to reform. Lithuanian lands are pretty good in terms of holdings too.

Last edited:
Other than this one exception, CB can't be changed and limits you in what you can achieve, just as previous poster wrote.
another exception: with subjugation or conquest of kingdoms CB (available to pagans and muslims), if you win you get all the counties that are part of the kingdom you are fighting for PLUS the counties you are occupying, even if these occupied counties are not part of the de jure kingdom

Thank you guys.

Do CK 2 have the same problems as EU IV regarding ironman mode? (too many saves that progressively take longer and longer and save file corruption, losing ironman status or worse, losing the game)