• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes I am sure. It only affects anyone in your nation. Every other nation is not affected by your tariff setting. It is how the world market works. There is no trading between nations. only that big blob of the world market where every excess good get dumped into after the common markets got processed.

So sadly only your own POP's and industry are affected. Not even your SOI uses your tariffs.
Actually.... you are mixing Victoria I with Victoria II. I am well aware that Victora I works as you said but Victoria II doesn`t.

I even looked up the manual for Viky 2 - http://wizzywizzyweb.gmgcdn.com/media/products/victoria-ii/manual/victoria-ii_manual.pdf , page 49 , tarrifs affect goods sold and bought from the world market, yes the world market exists. :D

Okay, so I am playing as Britain, it is now around 1855, all is going well, the Empire is quiet and stable, money is rolling in etc, there was an awkward revolution about a decade before that overthrew the monarchy but heyho.

Now, my problem is that the French economy is growing much faster than mine and will overtake mine by the end of the decade at the current rate, they are allready level pegging with me on military.

So my question is, what do I do to boost my economic growth, I have done the things I could think, no taxes for rich etc, but other than that I dont have a clue. I have set my national focuses to Promote Capitalists, but other than that I am stumped.

What do you suggest that I should do?

Thanks for your help in advance.

You conquer France to get their factories :3

Can you confirm that tariffs affect only imported goods and they don`t affect exported goods as well?

Yes.

Tariffs are just a taxe on imported goods (what you buy on the world market) paid by your POP and your factories.

High tariffs means your POP will have a harder time getting what they needs and some of your factories will have to pay more for raw materials. It will not impact your richest POP tho, but it won't help the poor and middle class. The only good thing in high tariffs is that it will make your poor artisans even poorer, so you will get rid of them quicker.

Low tariffs means you are helping your useless artisans by subsiding them, and that you do not want It also means that you are helping your factories get what they need on the world market, and that's rather good.

Subsiding factories works the same way, if they use RGOs you are producing it is a bad idea, if they use imported RGOs then it is good. Sadly you can't choose what RGO is impacted by tariffs, and that's why I barely use them.

Last edited:
Since the most important reason for tariffs - encouraging your people to buy domestically produced goods instead of imported is redundant, as your pops already buy what's produced domestically first, there's no reason to ever use tariffs unless you're REALLY strapped for cash, they function as a sales tax in game.

Since the most important reason for tariffs - encouraging your people to buy domestically produced goods instead of imported is redundant, as your pops already buy what's produced domestically first, there's no reason to ever use tariffs unless you're REALLY strapped for cash, they function as a sales tax in game.
It`s a bloody VAT.As you said, with the few exceptions in which you actually need money, tariffs are useless.I guess I could use it for max 10 years before the economy starts to humming ahead.

To keep up economy wise with a LF party, I'd recommend the following:
(1) Research ALL commerce techs that improve input and output. This will make your factories significantly more profitable.
(2) If you are limited by your number of craftsmen: Research industry techs that increase throughput.
(3) If you are limited by ressources: Research industry techs that improve RGO output and research culture techs to improve prestige (highest ranked nations buy first on the world market). Sphere nations that produce desired ressources.
(4) Set negative tariffs to subside your industry. I usually set them at -1%, but if I notice that many of my factories are failing I might go down to -10%, -25% or even -50%. HOWEVER, keep in mind that this can create a costly and uncompetitve industry in the long run, so be careful. Sometimes it is better to have less IND score, but more profitable factories.
(5) Research Electricity and Combustion Engine asap to get access to the most advanced and lucrative factories.
(6) Make sure that you have some capis in each and every state that has a factory.
(7) Set rich taxes as low as possible UNTIL your industry is reasonably profitable. Once you have enough profitable factories up and your capis get enough income, you can max rich taxes and lower poor taxes to increase clerk promotion.