• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hopefully something along the lines of Darkest Hour. It would be very annoying if it was a dumb sandbox. I'm sure a lot of people don't want Germany conquering the Balkans before 1939 or the UK annexing Norway and Sweden in 1937.

I'd like to see more politics and a more dynamic shifting geopolitical landscape, especially with early starts. So yeah "historical plausibility" hopefully. I think of HoI more as a "WW2 era" game, not a "WW2" game.

Reactions:
Compared to HoI 3, I'd want to see more freedom of will (of player, AI or both) and fewer predetermined dates and wargoals. Ideally, it should be something like EU with a casus belli system, warscores and events, just tweaked so that something like WW2 is almost inevitable to happen. But you should never know (unless you choose "historical" option) when and how exactly it will start: the Allies may start the war over Czechoslovakia, Finland and USSR may be neutral or be on "wrong" sides, USA may join the war earlier, etc. Diplomacy should have more options and be less deterministic.

Reactions:
I hope for a dynamic, plausible game. No determinism. If you want to make sure that WWII starts at the same time and in the same conditions as RL WWII, then play the 1939 scenario.

Reactions:
Any indication what direction they will be taking in this aspect? A more open game or historical plausability?

I'd like to see options at the setup of a game that allowed you to change how deterministic the game was. I like playing a historic game, but after a few play throughs, it would be nice to mix it up.

Reactions:
I'd like to see options at the setup of a game that allowed you to change how deterministic the game was. I like playing a historic game, but after a few play throughs, it would be nice to mix it up.

This sounds nice. Im not saying it has to be the same outcome every single time, like Italy/Japan/Germany/Finland are in the axis versus GB/USA/France and Comintern in a war that starts sep 1 1939. That's just lame. But otoh I would get frustrated if the world was a "Balkan Clusterfuck" every time a start a -36 scenario.

I think it won't be as railroaded as HoI3 was but I think if you play a not significant neutral country, ww2 should happen almost always. after all it is what this series about...

Sandbox. Sandbox all the way. I don't really even care about the plausibility. I don't play games for a simulation of things everybody knows.

I personlay dislike it, if it's to easy to make the Switzerland an ally of the Axis...

Reactions:
I think there was a talk about something along the lines with "If you want the ww2; start at september '39" or something like that.. so i
(might be a Reddit AMA i'm not sure)
guess it'll cover both ends of the fanbase.

Last edited:
Hopefully something along the lines of Darkest Hour. It would be very annoying if it was a dumb sandbox. I'm sure a lot of people don't want Germany conquering the Balkans before 1939 or the UK annexing Norway and Sweden in 1937.
The british did have plans for invading Norway I think, but I don't know much about it.