• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jrgen3

Field Marshal
146 Badges
Dec 2, 2012
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
danzig_flag_zps060f16e0.png

This is my first attempt at an AAR, and I will play as Danzig released from Prussia in 1836. As Danzig you start as a German OPM at a slight disadvantage: You start with 22 kPOPs and 200 soldier POPs, which means you can not build any units, not even if you mobilize, no other countries wants to ally you, but you have Polish accepted culture which means you can expand into Russia (... if you can)

For this play-through I have set some goals, I will likely fail but it will be fun to try:
1. Survive. This one is quite self explanatory. If Danzig dies so does this AAR.
2. Become a Great Power. If I want to survive I have to become a GP.
3. Form the NGF. This one is more difficult and requires me to beat Prussia(!) down to at least a secondary power and sphere them and all the North German minors.
4. Form Germany. If I can form NGF this will be quite easy as NGF is very powerful.
The game is a little modded:
I removed the STUPID "You need 7 % Jingoism to add a wargoal" thing.
I removed Prussia's investment in Saxony and gave it Austria (Hint: It had no effect whatsoever...)
Other than this I run vanilla Hearts of Darkness, version 3.03

Table of Contents:
Part One: The Beginning
Part two: The Saxon Question
Part three: The Danziger-Bavarian War of Honour
Part four: Who's Next?
Part five: The Great Power Club
Part six: The Rebellion
Part seven: Aftermath of the Revolution
Part eight: The Prussian Liberation of Schlesien

Last edited:
Actually, investment in a country cuts down others ability to influence them, so it was harder for Austria to keep Saxony and easier for Prussia to grab it, due to the investment.

Should be a tough start, but I'm interested in seeing how you manage to survive! Good luck!

Sorry for being so late, but my computer crashed just after I wrote part 1 last night, and I forgot my computer today, so I have to rewrite it now
Actually, investment in a country cuts down others ability to influence them, so it was harder for Austria to keep Saxony and easier for Prussia to grab it, due to the investment.
Yes, I know how it works, and this is exactly why I removed it and gave it to Austria: I thought it would delay Prussia by a few years. It didn't work...
Interesting. Googling, I had to go a few pages in to find something that wasn't about the band.

Dotted.
I didn't even know it was a band called Danzig...

how did you do that?
In common/defines.lua
search for JINGOISM, you should end up with this:
Code:
WARGOAL_JINGOISM_REQUIREMENT = 0.07
Just change the value from 0.07 to 0.00

Interesting, will sub for now. I expect great things. :p

Should be a tough start, but I'm interested in seeing how you manage to survive! Good luck!

Yes it'll certainly be a challenge. Good luck!

Thank you

Part one: The beginning

I start by setting my national focus in Danzig to promote clergy, I need research points, and I need them NOW! I start researching Realism in hope of getting some prestige. Looking at my political screen I see to my great disappointment that Danzig is not a free city but an absolute monarchy. Thanks Prussia... To be honest, this is actually much better as it is a superior government type. Looking at the reforms I have no social reforms and in the political reforms I have voting rights for the upper and middle strata, and non-secret ballots, which means I can't form the German Empire unless I get a revolution.
Danzig_u1_1_zpsbd034767.jpg

I really dislike the political party, so I replace them with the reactionaries. They have state capitalism, the best economic policy in my opinion.
Danzig_u1_2_zps960e98f4.jpg

I let a day pass and start the construction of a cement factory. I waited one day because it is a lot more expensive before you unpause.
Danzig_u1_3_zpsf37fd87e.jpg

On the 10th of March Prussia accepts a military alliance from the Netherlands, and we all know what this means...
Danzig_u1_4_zpsb2c9a950.jpg

In June my government type changes to prussian constitutionalism
Danzig_u1_5_zps94d76f18.jpg

... And in July it changes to HM's government.
Danzig_u1_6_zpsa9337b1b.jpg

In August I get the "An Age of Liberalism" event giving me some awesome modifiers. I reach 2 % clergy and shift my focus to clerks. The factory is not yet done, and they will be out of a job for a few months, but they still give research points.
Danzig_u1_7_zps06581500.jpg

On the 7th of September Austria and France enters an alliance.
Danzig_u1_8_zpseec40ec9.jpg

In November Prussia get cordial opinion from Danzig
Danzig_u1_9_zps3279b84b.jpg

Almost a year later, in August 1837, I got this event. I chose to get 5 prestige, and some delicious militancy.
Danzig_u1_10_zps7c0e0c47.jpg

In September the Mighty Empire of Danzig decides to be Friendly with Prussia.
Danzig_u1_11_zps20f7a90b.jpg

Realism is finished in April 1838, and I start to research Medicine for POP growth and a chance of getting some prestige.
Danzig_u1_12_zpscb88bdbb.jpg

In August Belgium gives in to the Dutch demands and is annexed to the Netherlands.
Danzig_u1_13_zpsd25a0c02.jpg

In October scientists apparently discovered Realist Literature, giving Danzig 10 prestige.
Danzig_u1_14_zps7a2de758.jpg

Medicine is finished in June 1839, and I save my research points for Idealism
Danzig_u1_15_zpsa85199e7.jpg

Prussia included Danzig in their Sphere of Influence in July 1839, a move they would regret for a very long time...
Danzig_u1_16_zpsfd09577f.jpg

The Springtime of Nations event fired shortly after
Danzig_u1_17_zps7ad5cefe.jpg

The scientists again proved their skills by inventing Realist Art in September 1839
Danzig_u1_18_zpsd2dca15e.jpg

In October 1839 the king got the worst news he could possibly get
Danzig_u1_19_zps2128ceee.jpg

The end is nigh

Last edited:
Part two: The Saxon Question

Oh, great! German Pan-Nationalists... That is a fun way to die!
Danzig_u2_1_zps2dc865e2.jpg

Rumours of the Russian Empire sending a botanical expedition to Bethel surface in December 1839. In fear of loosing prestige the King of Danzig sends an expedition as well.
Danzig_u2_2_zps9a11b2f8.jpg

A few days before Christmas, Prussia launches an offensive against the German Pan-Nationalists in Danzig, crushing the revolt within a few days.
Danzig_u2_3_zpsa2b87282.jpg

A new year starts and the scientists in Danzig, eager to do something after preparing for this for 6 months, starts to research Idealism. The first election ever in Danzig starts, and in late January, Prussia includes Holstein in their sphere of influence.
Danzig_u2_4_zps752c2b8d.jpg

The elections ends in July and Konservative Partei wins the election, which is better than the liberals winning with their Laissez-Faire.
Danzig_u2_5_zpsb8724aa2.jpg

The people of Danzig has at this point become quite militant, and the king has no other choice than giving the people trinket health care.
Danzig_u2_6_zps22d42b63.jpg

In July the United Kingdom realises that Belgium is lost, and signs a treaty with Prussia.
Danzig_u2_7_zps30ed7620.jpg

This means Prussia is less concerned about the strength of the armies and navies of their potential allies. I send them an alliance offer.
Danzig_u2_8_zpsaeaf689b.jpg

With a military alliance with Prussia I feel that it is time to do something about Saxony. Saxony is allied to Austria and Bavaria. After looking around a little I find out Bavaria is allied to Württemberg, Baden, Saxony and Austria, so I only see one way out of being annexed into the North German Confederation: I have to make a truce between Prussia and Saxony, so I start justifying a war.
Danzig_u2_9_zpse1d5aa63.jpg

Idealism is finished in September. This will give Danzig more research points, and maybe some well deserved prestige, which I need a lot of. I put the scientists to work again, this time they are going to research Late Classical Theory, again for prestige...
Danzig_u2_10_zpsbe36b987.jpg

The revolution ends in October 1840, and we pray for the fallen.
Danzig_u2_11_zps65a1e373.jpg

Exactly three days later, Prussia includes Hanover in their Sphere of Influence. This is beginning to look quite depressing for Danzig. Prussia only needs to sphere Denmark, which no other great powers care to influence and Saxony which is out of Austria's sphere and Austria has given up.
Danzig_u2_12_zpsd5a38d22.jpg

Our scientists prove what they are made of by discovering Hegelian Idealism in November.
Danzig_u2_13_zps40b4ce11.jpg

On the 4th of January 1841, I get my Casus Belli against Bavaria. Later that same day I declare that a state of war now exist between the highly prestigious Kingdom of Danzig and the Kingdom of Bavaria.
Danzig_u2_14_zps7648216c.jpg

Danzig_u2_15_zps46beafd1.jpg

Danzig_u2_16_zpsde253fb5.jpg

Last edited:
Part three: The Danziger-Bavarian War of Honour

All allies join the Danziger-Bavarian War of Honour, quickly escalating the war to war between great powers. This war, started in January 1841, would be a true test for the strength of the Prussian military.
Danzig_u3_1_zps67c225a8.jpg

In April the now world famous scientists of Danzig, discovers Proto-Existentialism.
Danzig_u3_2_zpsa085cd8d.jpg

On the 23rd of April Austria convinced Saxony to expel Prussian diplomats.
Danzig_u3_3_zps298ac4e3.jpg

The war is going less well than expected...
Danzig_u3_4_zpsacde2c89.jpg

In late May Austria decides that since Prussia is backing the aggressor in this war (AKA Danzig), it wants Schlesien back.
Danzig_u3_5_zps1fef5508.jpg

Berlin falls in mid June to the Austrian military.
Danzig_u3_6_zps040c8837.jpg

Shortly after, Cholera strikes Danzig. The king bravely decides that the affected province should be quarantined.
Danzig_u3_7_zps416f19c4.jpg

The war is over in July. The world, and especially Danzig, is chocked by the peace treaty: Prussia lost, not only the war, but also Schlesien, it's most populated and industrialised state.
Danzig_u3_8_zpsdbf97565.jpg

Danzig_u3_9_zpsa61b0c67.jpg

A really promising AAR. Contrary to your stated goals, I think it would be interesting to see if you could just survive as Danzig on its own. I don't know if that would just turn out to be boring though.

A really promising AAR. Contrary to your stated goals, I think it would be interesting to see if you could just survive as Danzig on its own. I don't know if that would just turn out to be boring though.
Yes, survival is of course my main objective, but Germany with Polish accepted culture would be so cool(not as cool as Germany with French accepted culture, but still...). If I become a GP, I bet Prussia will kill our alliance almost instantly because of my non-existant army, and then I'm on my own.

Part four: Who's Next?

The war with Austria went even better than expected: Now Prussia not only has a truce with Saxony for 5 years, but the loss of Schlesien means that if they want to form the North German Confederation, they have to fight Austria, which is allied to France, for it, maybe creating another truce with Saxony. This war gave me 5-10 years to become a great power, which should not be difficult considering that Danzig was #7 in rank before the war, but dropped down to #9 because I lost 10 prestige when I couldn't humiliate Bavaria.
Danzig_u4_1_zpsd4efe180.jpg

To become a great power you need two states, and unfortunately Danzig only has one, so I start looking around some. I do not want to start a second war with a great power, as Prussia is quite weak right now. The Netherlands are always a very nice victim, but they are allied to Prussia. Italy is under French and Austrian control, and Tunis is about to be sphered by the Ottoman Empire. Even though the Ottomans are about as strong as as the Ionian Isles, I look for something else.
Danzig_u4_2_zps428319cc.jpg

Then I find Oman. They are diplomatically isolated, and their only ally is Abu Dhabi. I start justifying a war.
Danzig_u4_3_zps52c824e3.jpg

As usual, my spies diplomats are discovered instantly. Late Classical Theory is finished in July 1841, and the hard working scientists start to research Collectivist Theory.
Danzig_u4_4_zps592b6274.jpg

Denmark is included in Prussia's sphere in August 1841. The only country they need to sphere now is Saxony and to regain Schlesien.
Danzig_u4_5_zps0e436e9c.jpg

Realist Music is invented in October, bringing Danzig up to rank #8.
Danzig_u4_6_zps4dcd6c8c.jpg

Danzig_u4_7_zps9716699d.jpg

In November, I get my casus belli against Oman. I have no way of getting over there by myself, so I truly hope Prussia will bring home some land for me.
Danzig_u4_8_zps8d92cb4d.jpg

I declare war the same day, and call Prussia into the war.
Danzig_u4_9_zps50bed68c.jpg

Prussia takes it's entire navy and pics up an army of 15000 men and start sailing toward Oman. In July 1842, Portugal declares war on the Zulu.
Danzig_u4_10_zps41ff0778.jpg

In August, after nine months, the Prussian navy passes the Cape, and continues to Oman.
Danzig_u4_11_zpsd7df910e.jpg

The expedition to Bethel went a lot better than expected, and finds the "Danziger Empress".
Danzig_u4_12_zpsfb8f37b6.jpg

Collectivist Theory is also finished in August.
Danzig_u4_13_zps7348ff94.jpg

In November, after one year at sea, the Prussian navy reaches Oman, and I start to research Market Structure
Danzig_u4_14_zps296ca74a.jpg

Prussia quickly sieges Oman, and on the 1st of June 1843, Muscat falls. Peace is signed one week later:
Danzig_u4_15_zps7c4b6cf6.jpg

Danzig_u4_16_zpscc725aed.jpg

This war gave me more than 6 times as many POPs as I had before the war, an it gave me the ability to build an army.
Danzig_u4_17_zps8d74005a.jpg

Now, I have gained rank #6 and I have surpassed Spain, the Ottoman Empire and Austria(!)
Danzig_u4_18_zpsc7d76935.jpg

The Prussian army, happy with it's accomplishments, starts it's long walk home...
Danzig_u4_19_zps04ac9d4f.jpg

I see what you mean about Prussia regretting sphering you. :blink:
Yes, I almost feel sorry for them, but it was necessary for the survival of mighty Danzig.
Ha, I see the tail is wagging the dog! would you say your aim is to build up a colonial empire to gain leverage back in europe?
Problem is that I can only build 3 brigades from my new colony, and it would be very infamy-heavy to gather more. I can do it, but I think it would make no real difference. I will not be able to build an army that can rival Prussia without taking down China or India, and I don't want to do that kind of suicide missions after the military tactics techs were nerfed. Is it still too easy to beat up China?

Last edited:
Sorry about the lack of updates recently, but a lot of my screenshots got corrupted, and I was occupied with modding Victoria II, but I have fixed the screenshots and new update is coming tomorrow.