Protecting trade in Western Europe trade node

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One would have to conclude that this is bugged. You can't even pay them for it, meaning that an arbitrary +20 opinion nation half the world away from you is more willing and able to take money to allow fleet rights than an adjacent vassal at +200. It's flagrantly absurd.
Or maybe it's WAD according to some weird Paradox logic? :D

I own the whole Italy and half Balkans and get 14.3 gold =\ WTF?
I own the important CoTs in Venice and Ragusa, and have a fleet of 40 light ships pushing trade out of Constantinople (Venice pulls in ~100 gold/month last I checked). I also have a near-monopoly on Ivory Coast trade due to my Trade Company controlling the only CoT there (in fact, I had 50% of trade with just ONE province with any trade buildings and in the Company thanks to being a Merchant Republic with a Trade Post on it and Post Office). I also just took control of Malacca, Philippines, and Australia, all pushing into Malacca (again with Trade Company and Trade Posts).

I own the whole Italy and half Balkans and get 14.3 gold =\ WTF?

You need to accrue trade power modifiers, especially at places with bonuses like major river estuaries or centers of trade, and ensure that all trade flows through (or to) your home port.