• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfmaster1979

Wolfen
25 Badges
Jun 12, 2012
steamcommunity.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities in Motion
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
I have no clue what the hell happened here. My game crashed on me and when I loaded it and started again, I noticed that the entire save game was FUBR as seen in the screenshots...

I will be happy to upload the save game, but I need someone to walk me through how to do it, given that it is a steam cloud save game.
EDIT: I uploaded the save file

013F5B30FC222386A5799F37C3A60FE860F02343

DDC36EB06792A6BA8B319A9732BE0C330F7751E2

Any suggeestions or work-arounds? I really do not want to start this game all over, as I was working towards restoring the old Roman Empire's borders...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, I tried something: I copied my save file as stated here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...from-Cloud&p=15948486&viewfull=1#post15948486

and I loaded it to see how and what would happen. Appearently everything was black, went to hell as you can see in this screenshot:
Please bear in mind, that all the black-land in Northern Africa and the Middle-East were under my control. The British Ilses suddenly were owned by a Duke of an Island (I was like WTF)

BE56D197F8BD454FC3FA72A9763539C56EAA1CDC

I am attaching the save file and if anyone can help me, that would be great!!

LINK TO FILE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_sBWN3aalKkb3E0cWNnckFDcDQ/edit?usp=sharing

--------------
NEW INFORMATION

I forgot to mention, that when I also loaded the game, I was presented with this (see screenshot below) on top of the new land distrubution that you see above. This death/reset of all my republic houses that are within my empire can be seen when you load the save file.

3E74D47C565EED01906CE9CE5051865924570C7F

Last edited:
Unsure if I have the same issue. My ironman save is most assuredly broken but I have no idea if Steam or Cloud have anything to do with it. My sympthoms are a bit different; I get a CTD as I select(=click on) my save game.

I am using CK2+ with
* Better Armies
* Cultural Titles
* Titular Titles
* CK2+ Core 2.063

I have every official DLC with exception of Sunset Invasion running.

Here is my save:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2c4101malsda6jm/Ironman_Hordaland.ck2

If anyone could help in any way at all, I'd be very happy.

Have all official DLC up and running with significant exception of Sunset Invasion.

First Crusade along with activation of few Holy Orders kicked in last session. No clue if that is related somehow.

If anyone could offer any kind of help at all,I'd be very happy.

This is the most recent bit in my error log:

[texturehandler.cpp:181]: Couldn't find texture file: gfx//event_pictures//aztec_court.tga.
[spritetype.cpp:370]: Error initialising texture: gfx\\event_pictures\\aztec_court.tga for spritetype GFX_evt_emissary_mesoamerican
[spritetype.cpp:370]: Error initialising texture: gfx\\event_pictures\\aztec_court.tga for spritetype GFX_evt_throne_room_mesoamerican
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: OR, near line: 545
" in file: "interface/coats_of_arms.txt" near line: 595

I haven't even bought the aztec DLC so seeing such mentions in my log are a bit odd.

Last edited:
I've now logged a new bug on this issue of Ironman saves becoming corrupt. Please post any new information as it comes to hand, in particular:

- what triggers the corruption? Is it any particular event, action, date, size of empire or kingdom, anything at all?
- is it ONLY Ironman games this happens to?
- does it make any difference if the game is saving to the Cloud or locally?

I've now logged a new bug on this issue of Ironman saves becoming corrupt. Please post any new information as it comes to hand, in particular:

1- what triggers the corruption? Is it any particular event, action, date, size of empire or kingdom, anything at all?
2- is it ONLY Ironman games this happens to?
3- does it make any difference if the game is saving to the Cloud or locally?

1. I have experinced a CTD (CK2 stopped responding) and gave me a screen to either force it to shut down or to look for an answer online. (At least I think that is what the message was). I have also experinced the game freezing when it tries to auto-save every month or so and requires a manual shutdown (ctrl+alt+del). When this crash happened I was at war with the Duchy of Tirol (in which I was winning) and when I came back to the game, the war was over and there was a truce between myself and Tirol (which somehow I lost). I am not sure about any special events, other than I just described. Date & Size of empire, you can see from the screenshots & save file.

2. Since 2.0 all my games have been Ironman.

3. All of my games are saving only to Cloud.

EDIT: I would like to ask, is there any chance that my save file can be recovered/restored to a point before the crash that made everything screwed up? Or am I out of luck?

Last edited:
Hi Wolfmaster1979, We're looking into this problem. I'm curious if you had any specific interactions with the titles of Empire of Britania and the Arabian Empire.

Hi Wolfmaster1979, We're looking into this problem. I'm curious if you had any specific interactions with the titles of Empire of Britania and the Arabian Empire.

Thank you for looking into this. :)

As far as I know, I did not have any special interactions with either titles. I think I had some land in the british Isles, but that was it. In terms of the Arabian Empire, once I obtained the land that I needed to progress with recreating the old imperial borders, I left them alone (meaning that I had no interest with them, as I got everything that I needed from them). This was at least 100-200 years before the save file issue.

I am not sure if it means anything, but all the land in africa & jerusalem was de jure to my empire. I think Syria was also de jure, but I can not remember, so I am not sure.

Hi, thank you for the quick and useful feedback, we'll look into if it could be related to de jure ownership. I'm also curious of how you managed to produce image 3, the one where orkney has control of great britain. Did you simply copy the savefile from the cloud file and the changes applied automatically?

Last edited:
Hi, thank you for the quick and useful feedback, we'll look into if it could be related to de jure ownership. I'm also curious of how you managed to produce image 3, the one where orkney has control of great britain. Did you simply copy the savefile from the cloud file and the changes applied automatically?

I copied the save file from the cloud location on my computer and moved/copied it to the local file folder for CK2.

----
or more simply, I copied the file from here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<YOUR STEAM ID>\203770\remote\save games

to here:

C:\Users\<My Name>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\save games

------

Once the save file was stored locally, I started the game and let it run normally. Once I was in the game (pass the start screen), it lagged for a few minutes and then produced the images in my 2nd post.

Last edited:
I just want to add that the same thing happened to me yesterday. I was Ironman and cloud saving to steam.

My game that I spent three days on (played as soon as I would get off work until like 2 in morning) froze for like ten minutes. So i Ctrl Alt Del and closed it, and next time I loaded it up I could not even open the save. It said something like "broke save" under the save.

Really really sucks, it made me just turn the computer off and not play anymore. LOL :mad:

(Cross-posting, not sure which is the right place to reply :) )

I just ran into the same bug. Started as the Byzantines at the earliest start date, ironman + cloud saves enabled. Was up to 1141, now as the Roman Empire, controlling nearly the entire map. The game never crashed or gave any errors when saving.

Now when I select the save, the game jumps to the lower left corner, and the map has no characters on it whatsoever. If I click on the empire icon of the save-game data, my current ruler's image and correct data briefly flashes in the character panel (except with 0 vassals), then disappears.

The only thing of interest that happened before I last saved the game was that I had taken control of all empires, kingdoms and duchies in the game, and my character actually held the titles of all empires and kingdoms. I think there were a couple of free counts remaining. Perhaps the game has a problem handling games with only one "Interesting Character" left?

In response to the question above, my character holds both the British and Arabian Empires. The British Empire had passed easily to each heir. The Arabian Empire was Elective, so a proposal was active to go to High Authority so I could fix that. :)

Edit: savegame link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/432xys03md99e01/poo.ck2

We've managed to find what was causing the problem and fixed it. I'm sorry that I can't fix your saves for you because a huge chunk of data is missing in them(which was the problem).
The fix will be deployed as fast as possible. :)

I just want to add that the same thing happened to me yesterday. I was Ironman and cloud saving to steam.

My game that I spent three days on (played as soon as I would get off work until like 2 in morning) froze for like ten minutes. So i Ctrl Alt Del and closed it, and next time I loaded it up I could not even open the save. It said something like "broke save" under the save.

Really really sucks, it made me just turn the computer off and not play anymore. LOL :mad:

This issue is unrelated to what was happening here, what you did was that you forced the game to close while it was saving, which means it could not complete the save. Leaving you with a broken save.

We've managed to find what was causing the problem and fixed it. I'm sorry that I can't fix your saves for you because a huge chunk of data is missing in them(which was the problem).

This issue is unrelated to what was happening here, what you did was that you forced the game to close while it was saving, which means it could not complete the save. Leaving you with a broken save.
Turns out, I opened my Steam and started up CK2 a day or so later. Now my save is there and fine and does not say broken save under it and I can load it up. I don't understand it, but am glad. LOL

The only thing that upset me, was my ironman customized dynasty name turned back to "Babenberger". There are some serious bugs with the Customizer DLC with COA's and names.

Thanks Groogy, you guys are awesome!! I am curious, could you tell me what was causing the problem?
Something I do not understand (because I am not an IT person) is how does a huge chunk of data go missing?

I assumed that the save was beyond repair and thanks for letting us know!

Oughtn't the game 1) write temporary file, 2) fsync, 3) move over old save? With modern filesystems that's almost sure to leave you with one of the two even if interrupted. It's how I've always been told to write out anything important.

What happened was that the save had grown to an immense size. So when we were trying to save the cloud save the buffer writing it cut at exactly 50mb size. Most often at the end of the file are those dejure empires that disappeard in your file. It might also end up with simply crashing. The fix includes compression of the saves, so now you should fit even more on the cloud :)

We will deploy the fix as soon as we can.

What happened was that the save had grown to an immense size. So when we were trying to save the cloud save the buffer writing it cut at exactly 50mb size. Most often at the end of the file are those dejure empires that disappeard in your file. It might also end up with simply crashing. The fix includes compression of the saves, so now you should fit even more on the cloud :)

We will deploy the fix as soon as we can.

Thank you for the quick response. So basically until you are able deploy the fix, I should pay attention to the file size and make sure I stop "playing" it when it gets close to 50mb.. this is good to know.

Also, with the fix that you are working on, would I (or anyone for that matter) be able to play a game from 867-1453 with it saving to cloud without this problem reappearing?

Also, with the fix that you are working on, would I (or anyone for that matter) be able to play a game from 867-1453 with it saving to cloud without this problem reappearing?

Yes hopefully it shouldn't reappear again.

GAH! I'm at 1447 and was just about to own Ireland then convert on over to eu4 ... my save file got teh pwnd. Thanks Paradox team for being hyper-responsive on this, I am extremely pleased to see all of the helpful interaction going on with those of us afflicted with immense save file syndrome (it's in the dsm5 i'm pretty sure). For those of us just running into this issue, how do you suggest we proceed? I'm guessing sitting tight is in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.