• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

pollux_ar

First Lieutenant
23 Badges
Apr 4, 2011
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
cim2-mm-dlc_H-L-943x521.jpg

Overview

Marvellous Monorails introduces an all-new vehicle type to Cities in Motion 2. The monorail is a handy vehicle for inner-city connections and works best in circular lines. The pack boasts five different monorail vehicles, from the slow and large Toyoka Cybria City, to the super-fast, but high maintenance Stern-Berger Mate.

An all new mode of transportation! They are fast, attract a lot of passengers, and give your city a novelty look with their elevated rails. When a metro line is too expensive, look to construct the monorail. Build circular lines for maximum efficiency and try all of the five different monorail vehicles to find just the right one for each line.

Features

Ness Mono - Ness Mono is a favorite. It's very comfortable to ride and also fairly fast, so people get to their destinations quick and enjoyably.
Hana-Bi Challenger - This eco-friendly monorail is attractive to passengers and quite sturdy, thus requiring less maintenance than most vehicles.
Toyoka Cybria City - For long routes with many stops, this trooper is a good option.
Capitol Palm - Fast and reliable. It’s perfect for longer routes with few stops.
Stern-Berger Mate - When speed is what you want, Mate from Stern-Berger is your choice!

Minimum System Requirements
Base Game: Cities In Motion II
(Same system requirements as base game)
REQUIRED 3rd Party Game Client: Steam®
DRM: SteamWorks®

Release: 9 January 2014
Price USD 9.99

cim2-mm-dlc_packshot-gs_large.jpg2013-10-30_00035.jpg2013-10-30_00034.jpg2013-10-30_00030.jpg2013-10-30_00021.jpg2013-10-30_00020.jpg2013-10-30_00019.jpg2013-10-30_00018.jpg2013-10-30_00015.jpg2013-10-30_00007.jpg2013-10-30_00036.jpg

Source:
http://gamestore.indycar.com/games/cities-in-motion-2-marvellous-monorails-dlc
http://store.game4fun.com/games/cities-in-motion-2-marvellous-monorails-dlc

A new transportation type is always a good thing. However some of the monorails have strange look, at least for me. Also I hope they will do something with this - over the road without pillars - mechanism. Extended pillars should be great, or maybe fix splines over the roads, even different types of roads with built in monorail systems...

The Monorails itself are obviously only redesigned metro-tracks. They could at least got rid of the unnecessary dark-grey object below the light-grey monorail itself. It looks extremely odd (if not really stupid) and it would be so easy to get rid of this.
Of course the problem with the tracks hovering freely over roads or other objects is not fixed... They could at least have changed the appearance of the pillars itself; now the pillars for monorails, metros and roads look exactly the same.

CO, what where you working on for so long?
At least the price seems to be adequate, since this looks to me like a new set of metros. So we get some new vehicles for about the same price we got the last vehicle-DLCs.

However, I hope the patch will legitimate the long waiting time with some bug-fixes.

Nice.

I agree with the above comment about the tracks. I dont really think that the larger concrete slab under the track girder needs to be there. (and maybe give it a slight shade of blue or something to make it look nice). Perhaps we should return to this when CO is back.

I really do like that the Devs took on some of our vehicle suggestions (Though I guess when you have a limited choice of rolling stock, it was bound to overlap). I am looking forward to adding in the Von roller (Stern Berger Mate?) into my Sydney map...

Still a no from me, not until CiM 2's overall gameplay experience improves (e.g. bigger DLC/expansion), if it can improve. I won't be paying $10 for something which will make the game ever so slightly different when the game, I believe, needs drastic change. There are other games out there I can spend that $10 on which will probably be more of value to me. For example, Omerta: City of Gangsters is currently $8 on Steam. I've never played it before, but which would I rather go for? A DLC which makes a small change to, in my opinion, a currently boring game (only reason I stick around is because the series has potential to be better than it is, I really enjoyed the first CiM game for what it was for the first 45 hours) or a whole new game? Hell, even when there's a sale for Crusader Kings II (one of my favourite games), it's around $10 (not counting expansions/DLCs).

I agree with the above comment about the tracks. I dont really think that the larger concrete slab under the track girder needs to be there.
Definitely agree with this sentiment. That massive block of concrete running beneath the monorail all the way along looks really out of place and spoils the aesthetics of the system. From the screenshots and the DLC description I'm also not sure what makes the Monorail *special* or even different to the metro. Why would I build one?

Why would I build one?
It still serves a different enough role to the Metro. Way cheaper (unless you waste money pouring an unneeded concrete slab underneath ;) ) and is going to be a better alternative to say Trams/Buses within the city centre (especially with lots of traffic). Though once we see the stats we'll know for sure.

I know certain monorail systems like in Japan are rather clunky looking and concrete heavy but they certainly dont have to be. The old Von Roller systems were super minimalistic in design. Track girder + support girders. That and it isnt that depressin concrete grey. It give the city a bit more colour...

Also,
Monorail_w.jpg

Looks like the Von Roller system is a somewhat novelty thing. The systems in Japan and China are heavy duty monorails which I would say are more comparable.

I struggle to get excited about this DLC. My main issue is the absence of support/girders. I managed to get away from the problem on for the metros by simply not building long distances over a road. For monorail, that's some of the point I feel. I would be happy if we had a manual way of building support.
And the stations looks a bit empty and desserted. I guess the pics are a bit to blame for it also, but I miss some stairs and a bigger platform with benches and a whatnot.
Is it possible to build monorail underground?

Come on guys, its nice to have a new type of transport. Specially monorails! Just be happy for a second.

About the concrete is an odd choice, cause the other way looks a lot better, but its not completely out of reality.

6417808-monorail-at-the-palm-jumeirah-dubai-united-arab-emirates.jpg

images

The stations follow the standard of the others. I wouldn't expect something else. The pictures are definitely to blame, first of all, why not make them in the best resolution possible? If I look at this picture and I think the game have graphics like that I would not care for it. Luckily the game have much better graphics.

Last edited:
A new transportation type is always a good thing. However some of the monorails have strange look, at least for me. Also I hope they will do something with this - over the road without pillars - mechanism. Extended pillars should be great, or maybe fix splines over the roads, even different types of roads with built in monorail systems...
Yes, the same bug with elevated roads, which I have reported 8 months ago

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?680730-Where-are-(bridge)-piers

Doesn't look like a bug to me, it just looks like CO made a conscious decision to exclude the pillars. It's probably easier to not have them appear above other roads and tracks.
Such a long distance elevated roads and tracks without pillars to support, the structure will collapse. It will not happen in real life, so as a simulation game, it is a bug

Such a long distance elevated roads and tracks without pillars to support, the structure will collapse. It will not happen in real life, so as a simulation game, it is a bug
Such a structure will be possible in a few years time,never say impossible and its a game not a serious proposal for consideration of those who cannot see a future,well done designers.

We'll see how it will turn out. The spline with the concrete bed is kind of alright, not a gamebreaker issue (it could even be realistic in some way). However i can't imagine that i will use a monorail over a road at long distances, if i couldn't get any pillars which can hold it. In my opinion the best solution should be a deployable prop over the road, so if you care about realism you will be able to place some, if not, you don't need to bother with.

Last edited:
Looks like the Von Roller system is a somewhat novelty thing. The systems in Japan and China are heavy duty monorails which I would say are more comparable.

I struggle to get excited about this DLC. My main issue is the absence of support/girders. I managed to get away from the problem on for the metros by simply not building long distances over a road. For monorail, that's some of the point I feel. I would be happy if we had a manual way of building support.
And the stations looks a bit empty and desserted. I guess the pics are a bit to blame for it also, but I miss some stairs and a bigger platform with benches and a whatnot.
Is it possible to build monorail underground?

Not really. That particular system was in a city centre. It is what monorails really are capable of in terms of structure. Sure, maybe a wider beam = broader, larger monorails and douglas is right in that there are real life systems that use other styles of track construction but perhaps it is questionable if you are building infrastructure on par cost and size wise comparable to El Rail/Road overpass.
Plus it does look way nicer. It would be the same as preferencing european style cities (which I hope is still being worked on) over the current US ones. It is a matter of aesthetics but it makes a noticable difference visually.

As for the pillars/stations, I was under the impression that word was from devs that it was for the most part extremely unlikely to ever be implemented because of a game design thing. I could be wrong.

Such a long distance elevated roads and tracks without pillars to support, the structure will collapse.

Yes.

It will not happen in real life, so as a simulation game, it is a bug

It's like saying that the game is bugged because there isn't support for more than 4 tracks or because there aren't any asymmetrical roads. You can do loads of things in this game that wouldn't be viable or realistic to do IRL and there is close to infinite number of things from real life that doesn't exist in game.

I don't think anybody here thinks structures like these are realistic. We probably all feel it is out of place and should be fixed, but it certainly looks like something CO left out on purpose rather than spending time and money on calculations to allow pillars over the streets/tracks.

My problem is just the usage of the word "bug". Bug does not mean "not accurate description of real life" (unless CO advertised accurate simulation of pillars, which they didn't) or "feature I don't like" (as used in other threads). I agree with you, they should fix this ASAP.

Not really. That particular system was in a city centre. It is what monorails really are capable of in terms of structure. Sure, maybe a wider beam = broader, larger monorails and douglas is right in that there are real life systems that use other styles of track construction but perhaps it is questionable if you are building infrastructure on par cost and size wise comparable to El Rail/Road overpass.
Plus it does look way nicer. It would be the same as preferencing european style cities (which I hope is still being worked on) over the current US ones. It is a matter of aesthetics but it makes a noticable difference visually.
Ok, that's the only one they have build that is not meant as a novelty or a theme park transportation/ride. At least from what I can find on Wiki.
I still would argue that it shouldn't be compared to the more used systems in Japan/China. And thus not be compared to the ones in CiM.