• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reichspräsident Bil: Nein

Reichpresident Bill: Aye

Reichpresident Bill: Ja
Having a head of state will make other nations and now who they have too negotiate and bow down too when we cherish their puny armies

Last edited:
Nein.

The Nuremberg Press
Sunday, 22, September 1872|2 Pfennige
Chancellor Von Schwaben Must Go
My fellow Germans, in this piece of writing I have the most unpleasant task of informing you that your chancellor is generally incompetent, dishonest, and a closet imperialist. The first sin is that of incompetent leadership. This is demonstrated by the war. The war with the Polish and British has gone poorly of that there is no doubt. The eastern front is woefully undermanned collapses closer to the heartland of Germany every day allowing the Polish to plunder and loot the countryside of Germany every day. In the western front our armies have become preoccupied by the need to suppress armed French rebels wishing to free themselves from perceived oppression from Nuremberg. In Plymouth and German Liberia the garrisons was ordered to hold their ground at all costs and bravely fought battles where they were outnumbered and outgunned by British forces but courage and valor can only go so far so both garrisons were defeated. Finally, the navy is currently sitting at the bottom of the sea. While I do hate to ramble in the manner in my writing but I feel it is necessary to impress upon you the utter failure of the war effort so far. The blame for such a failure lays squarely at the feet of Chancellor Von Schwaben because it is his responsibility as chancellor to appoint dedicated and skilled persons to head the various ministries of government and to remove those ministers who no longer fit to lead. The Chief of the General Staff Friedrich Von Hohenstaufen and the Minister of War Hals Gutfreund have shown themselves to be incompetent because they have allowed the hawkish factions of the Reichstag to convince them that the best plan for the war was not to righteously and vigorously defend the territory that Germany has but rather to aggressively and foolishly go on the offensive against a island nation when our navy was outnumbered and outgunned by the combined numbers of the British and Polish fleets. Predictably despite the valiant and brave effort offered by our navy the British and Polish fleets combined efforts were enough to sink our navy. As a result our further ability to make war to the British is in serious doubt. Sadly, the Von Schwaben Administration’s incompetence has not just failed the German People in war making policy. They have also failed the people on the issue of internal affairs. As if the war was not a large enough disaster the Minister of the Interior Karal Adimari and Head of the Corps of Gendarmerie Michael Von Hohenzollern have allowed the issue of the French Patriots to linger for too long ,and as a result the French Patriots rebelled in the western territories and occupied the armies of the western front directly contributing to the Polish advance on the eastern front. Further, The Head of the Corps of Gendarmerie seems to not have learned his lesson and has been seen further alienating rebels and francophiles within our borders making the rebels surrender and the likelihood of further francophile integration a more remote possibility. Minister of Finance Fredrick Carlie in a two baffling refusals to either reign in government bureaucracy or to lean on the massive monetary reserves that Germany holds for such time of increased expense such as war. Indeed, even before the war started he had authorized tax rates of 50% just to cover the nominal expenses of the German State. The Foreign Minister Maximilian Von Wittelsbach does not lay without blame either. He had engineered and sustained a brand of foreign policy that has caused all of Germany’s allies to abandon her and all her enemies to attack her. Further, he has managed to cause both of these great catastrophes to occur at virtually the same time. Indeed it seems that the only ministry that can be found without sin is the Ministry of Education and that can only be said because the Ministry’s affairs where so bungled by previous administrations that it is hard to blame solely Chancellor Von Schwaben. So, upon review of the Von Schwaben Adamastrion we find that the best that can be said about his direction of the ministries is that he maintained the status quo of a thoroughly mismanaged ministry. If this is not Incompetence in his duty to see that the ministries have good direction then i do not know what is. Sadly, incompetent leadership is not the only sin of the Chancellor there are two others.

The second sin is that the Chancellor in his duty as party leader of the National Liberal Party of Germany is guilty of openly misleading the public as to the nature the party. The National Liberal Party of Germany claims to support the policy of free trade yet it sanctions 10% tariffs to support the expenses of state such a move that is explicitly protectionist in nature. Further, the party claims to be proponents of Laissez Faire yet they supported and voted for a measure that instituted a oppressive regime of wage regulation upon the markets and introduced legislation that would have created a Ministry of Social Affairs as all liberals know “social affairs” is just an excuse to oppress the business owners and the free market. He has been revealed to be a liar on the campaign trail. How can we trust his leadership now? So now the sins of the Chancellor are two in number but sadly we are not done.

The third, final, and most damaging of the sins is that the Chancellor has moved to consolidate many of the powers of state under a singular person. He has sought to create a president that if instituted would effectively have the powers of the Foreign Minister to stand for Germany on the international stage and dictate foreign policy and the Chancellor’s power to choose heads of the national ministries including the Chancellor himself becoming a puppet of such a president. Such a man would yield massive unchecked power. I say this because he is checked by two entities: the Chancellor who is merely a puppet of the president and the Conclave of Stadtholders the often aristocratic body that represents only a subsection of Germany would now be in the position to deprive the majority of the people from their right to see the president removed from his post for transgressions as bad as corruption, insanity, and, a general loss of confidence amongst legislators. Such a proposition is a proposition to move towards the old traditions of oppression and tyranny and a move away from liberty and democracy. This sin as detailed so far could be forgiven as a legitimate if badly misguided attempt to improve Germany if it had come about from a cross party commission. This legislation however did not come from a cross party commission but rather a partisan committee consisting of none other than the National Liberal Party of Germany(NLPD), The Imperialists(IP), and the Sozialistische Partei(SP), further Imperialist leaders have already been making murmurs of using this post to reinstitute the Kaiser upon the German people early indications of such an attempt are shown by the provisions of the proposed law that give official state housing to the president something that has no precedent in Germany under a republican form of government. Indeed it looks as though the colluding between the National Liberals, Imperialists, and Sozialistisches does not end there. The Chancellor further tried to consolidate the powers of the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Finance under one person under the guise of creating a Ministry of Social Affairs that would be granted largely unlimited power over the markets by being able to choose government favorites to subsidize and being able to adjust taxes under the guise of funding “social reforms” a horrifically vague mandate to impose taxes upon the people. This proposal was recalled after Ludwig Von Anderson of the Unger-Asch Initiative(UAI) demanded its withdrawal. Theses sins are representative of the Von Schwaben Administration Incompetent, Deceptive, and Imperialistic. Such a regime must never prosper under Germany. With this in mind I can come to no other conclusion but that for the good of Germany Chancellor Von Schwaben must go.

((Sorry for the massive wall of text.))

((The following people need to vote:

Gen. Marshall
DensleyBlair

It's extremely close in the Assembly right now, so every Assemblyman needs to vote.

BrotherSid, have you created a new character or are you just riffing now? :)

Ministry of Interior plan passes. Other folks should provide their plans ASAP.))

***Responding to the newspaper editorial***

It is very difficult to keep track of what awful sins I am committing. Should I have let the French rebels run amok? Or should I have stomped them flat more quickly? Like so many other newspapers, this will make excellent lining for my birdcage.

Michael von Hohenzollern, Commander of the Corps of Gendarmerie

I have also committed many sins it seems. I don't know nor do I want to know what is going on in the head of the people, who writes the The Nuremberg Press. But it is not normal. Also, the paper was started by a man named Dr. Dominik Fellman, who couldn't keep up with his party's progress. So I would call the people of the Nuremberg Press, incompetent. It also says that the Kanzler would become a puppet of the Reichspräsident, which is a lie. They will hold the other in check, so our country do not fall to tyranny.

~ Konrad von Schwaben, Chancellor of Germany and Party Leader of the NLPD

BrotherSid, have you created a new character or are you just riffing now? :)
((Just riffing into one of Fellman's old enemies. After all with a bit of Editorial MagicTm Fellman gets to rip into his number 2 enemy.))

Last edited:
Taxes were raised to 50%? You must be joking. It was higher during the previous chancellery, all the back with the conservatives. Taxes have been decreased since that time. All this newspaper does is provide problems where there are none, and criticize these non-problems.

~Frederick Carile, Financial Minister

((Well, this will be fun. :p))

The Reichspräsident bill passes in the Assembly by a vote of 258 to 231 and in the Conclave by a vote of 63 to 31. The implementation of this bill will be delayed until the upcoming general election, with the following addenda:

[1] The Supreme Court rules that the term shall be four years, not five years, in keeping with the electoral traditions of the past. ((There's no way to mod General Election length that I'm aware of.))
[2] The Supreme Court rules that elections shall take place in the following format, subject to consultation with Herr von Bavel-Timmermans:
[a.]The Reichstag shall meet first and, as representatives of the people, shall elect the Reichspräsident as the first matter of business. ((I am proposing using the weighted voting we currently use.))
[b.]Each party may put forward a candidate or candidates, up to a maximum of 2 per party. It is presumed that the party leader will be one of those candidates, provided they are eligible and wish to run.
[c.]If any one person receives 51% of the vote in the first round, they shall be declared the winner.
[d.]If not, the top three candidates will advance to the second round, and whoever receives the most votes will be the winner.
[3] The office of Präsident of the Conclave of Stadtholders does not currently exist and no definition is provided in the draft bill. Therefore, until such a bill is proposed and accepted, the Supreme Court rules that "Kanzler" will be substituted in all cases where the phrase "Präsident of the Conclave of Stadtholders" currently appears.
[4] Herr von Bavel-Timmermans is charged with producing a simplified, if at all possible, version of his bill, using the approved inks and writing utensils ((the base font :))), for publication. This version should be formatted for maximum readability and understanding, making certain that all of the key provisions are clearly defined. ((Try to cut down some of the fluff for future players to make it easier to understand. :)))

In the meantime, all outstanding ministry plans must be confirmed or modified, and the Chief of the General Staff needs to provide a new military plan.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

]The Reichspräsident bill passes in the Assembly by a vote of 258 to 231 and in the Conclave by a vote of 63 to 31.

So we can get that done, and never mind the growing catastrophe of the war with the British? My uncle warned this Assembly, decades ago, that Plymouth would be a bleeding ulcer; and the war party seems curiously quiet now the inevitable has happened.

I find it ironic how praise was lauded upon the great statesman Bismarck for his aggressive foreign policy, yet I am reamed for it. I say pfah, those newspapers are worth nothing more than simple toilet paper when one has none.

- Wittelsbach

((BTW, I assume, since I'm already disqualified from becoming Chancellor again :(, I can't become Reichsprasident either?))

((BTW, I assume, since I'm already disqualified from becoming Chancellor again :(, I can't become Reichsprasident either?))

((The new bill doesn't specify. My interpretation is that you'd be eligible to take the new office, but not the old one, but we have to wait for TJDS to answer the questions above before I make a ruling.))