• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tuerai

General
126 Badges
Jul 20, 2012
  • Majesty 2
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Victoria 2
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
Ever since I started playing CK2, I've liked mixing up my characters' religion and culture. I stopped becoming weird cultures as often once I found out that culture spread was tied to the culture of your primary title (Which is why I will now put up with a hundred years of rebellion for de jure drift instead of making more titles). However, I still really enjoy changing religions. One of my first big games of CK2 was a playthrough where I ended up as Irish Norse Britannia, before pagans were supposed to be playable.

Basically, my question to you all is, do you consider it legitimate if (to give an example of a recent playthrough) I start as the Saffarids, and easily take most of de jure Persia, while educating my heir Zoroastrian and landing as many Zoroastrian courtiers as I can find, and then upon succession, finish up the last couple wars I need and become the Saoshyant?

View attachment 96477

I'm planning on trying to do a Jewish Abbasid game in this way soon, but I'm wondering how you all feel about this. There seems to be a lot of hate towards people who want Ruler Designer to work with Achievements, but I'm not sure if this strategy is that far off. So where do we draw the line? If I manage to turn the Abbasid Caliphate into the Jewish Empire of Arabia with a rebuilt Israel, am I just cheesing the game? I've probably poured about 20 hours already into the Khazars (which are MUCH better as of the current [beta] patch), and I have had no luck with creeping down towards the Holy Land.

I don't care. You can create e_persia as fast as changed Saffarids, while playing as hardest zoro start - Bavandids.
7.jpg

Year - 919

For me, it's even better, cause such games are more funny. Reforming all pagans faith in one game, getting all special traits and so on - great aims for some games. :)

I dont mind changing religions at all because I think its something that could have happened in real life at any time. You can change religion on a whim pretty much.

Now culture, on the other hand, is something that I think should only be able to be changed in childhood, & really young. I think the "switch to liege's culture" decision is really dumb. You cant just decide at 40 yrs old that you want to suddenly become a different culture. I mean sure, you can learn another language & stuff like that, but when I think "culture change" I'm thinking that you actually speak like a native & use all the customs & everything else that goes along with a culture, which is pretty impossible to do after childhood.

Anyways, with all that being said, who cares how you play your own game? Play it however is fun for you. Unless you are talking about doing this in multiplayer? Then yea, it probably is a little bit gamey.....

I tend to set up RRRs (Rare Religion Reserves), I conquer an isolated and safe place (like Mali, the canaries, iceland, etc.) and give all the titles there to someone of a religion which is about to get extinct (zoroastrians, myaphisites, some pagans... it depends on the playthrough.). Keeping them as vassals can also be challenging, but it allows you to have easy access to a religion change in the mid-late game and try to turn the world west african or something like that.

Also, when playing a republic, i always try to make each of the patrician families of a different religion. I a managed to a have a norse republic with zoroastrian, catholic, orthodox and shia patricians. With SoA it will surely be a lot more fun.

Play it however is fun for you. Unless you are talking about doing this in multiplayer? Then yea, it probably is a little bit gamey.....
Eh, I can't stand multiplayer CK2. I normally play the game on speed 5 (4 for wars), and I just pause a lot. Multiplayer is the opposite of that, so it never feels right to me.

Eh, I can't stand multiplayer CK2. I normally play the game on speed 5 (4 for wars), and I just pause a lot. Multiplayer is the opposite of that, so it never feels right to me.

In that case then yea, play it however you want. Ultimately you are the only one who can decide whats gamey to you. If you feel like you havent accomplished anything then its gamey. If you feel like it was a challenge & you accomplished something then it probably wasnt. ;)