Magicka closes by itself after finish fighting ygg

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mcguire92

Recruit
4 Badges
Dec 7, 2013
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka 2
  • Prison Architect
after finish fighting ygg troll, it suddenly closes and when i opened again, and try to press start, the game closes itself again and again. how to fix it? and btw this is the report and i just bought it and installed it today. tq

Last edited:
Same as me. Exactly the same problem, and just bought the game like 5 days ago.
I feel disconcerted because I remember, that I had tested a trial version of this game like 1 year ago, and everything worked fine (passed without a problem up to chapter 3), until now that I've bought the game (I was using the same computer as now, and I am running it with an Intel(R) HD Graphics Family with a memory of 1696 MB of video card). Maybe it is related to the version of the game, or it could be anything, I am really disconcerted, and would appreciate a solution to this issue, please, and thank you.

http://pastebin.com/ziuY4is4
This is my DxDiag. And maybe you're gonna tell me that it's because of my video card, but it doesn't makes sense to me, because not a long time ago, I played a trial version of the game, and it actually let me play beyond chapter 3! And it let me play also the challenges, as an exception 'Dungeons'. I really don't understand.. Thank you, by the way :)

Ditto. It makes no sense that i can play through the tutorial just fine but not chapter 2.
Code:
Operating System
	Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
CPU
	AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+	29 °C
	Windsor 90nm Technology
RAM
	2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 420MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
	30 °C
Graphics
	AL2016W (1680x1050@59Hz)
	512MB ATI Radeon X1950 Pro (Diamond)
	ATI Radeon X1950 Pro Secondary (Diamond)
	CrossFire Disabled
Storage
	1863GB Seagate ST32000542AS ATA Device (SATA)	36 °C
	232GB MDT MD2500BB-00GUA0 ATA Device (ATA)	39 °C
Optical Drives
	HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device
	DTSoftBusCd00
Audio
	High Definition Audio Device

Version: 1.4.16.0	Thread: LogicThread

System.ArgumentException: Texture width or height is larger than the device supports.
Parameter name: height
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.ValidateSizeParamsAgainstCaps(Int32 width, Int32 height, _D3DCAPS9 caps, Int32 numberLevels, String widthParamName, String heightParamName)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.CreateTexture(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 numberLevels, UInt32 usage, _D3DPOOL pool, SurfaceFormat format)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D..ctor(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 numberLevels, TextureUsage usage, SurfaceFormat format)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Texture2DReader.Read(ContentReader input, Texture2D existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader[T](ContentTypeReader reader, Object existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal[T](Object existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObject[T]()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadAsset[T]()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCutscene..ctor()
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCutscene.get_Instance()
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect.StartLevel()
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect.ControllerMouseAction(Controller iSender, Point iScreenSize, MouseState iState, MouseState iOldState)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.UI.Tome.ControllerMouseAction(KeyboardMouseController keyboardMouseController, Point screenSize, MouseState newMouseState, MouseState mOldMouseState)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.Controls.KeyboardMouseController.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.Controls.ControlManager.HandleInput(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.GameState.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.MenuState.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.GameStateManager.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.Game.Update(Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.Game.ThreadedUpdate()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

0x009a Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.ValidateSizeParamsAgainstCaps
0x014d Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.CreateTexture
0x0006 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D..ctor
0x0033 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Texture2DReader.Read
0x0023 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader
0x0040 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal
0x0000 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObject
0x0007 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadAsset
0x0039 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset
0x0085 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load
0x00ca Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCutscene..ctor
0x0021 Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCutscene.get_Instance
0x0250 Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect.StartLevel
0x1242 Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect.ControllerMouseAction
0x012a Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.UI.Tome.ControllerMouseAction
0x0610 Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.Controls.KeyboardMouseController.Update
0x006d Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.Controls.ControlManager.HandleInput
0x0018 Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.GameState.Update
0x0008 Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.MenuState.Update
0x0036 Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.GameStateManager.Update
0x0030 Magicka.exe->Magicka.Game.Update
0x0080 Magicka.exe->Magicka.Game.ThreadedUpdate
0x003b CommonLanguageRuntimeLibrary->System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context
0x005f CommonLanguageRuntimeLibrary->System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run
0x002a CommonLanguageRuntimeLibrary->System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart

This is my DxDiag. And maybe you're gonna tell me that it's because of my video card, but it doesn't makes sense to me, because not a long time ago, I played a trial version of the game, and it actually let me play beyond chapter 3! And it let me play also the challenges, as an exception 'Dungeons'. I really don't understand.. Thank you, by the way :)

Sadly that Intel HD Graphics card is unreliable for Magicka :/ The best advice I can give you is to do whatever you can to free resources for the graphics and the game before playing. My guess would be that something changed on the computer allowing for less memory to be used by the graphics. As (afaik) Intel HD Graphics does not have enough dedicated memory, but shares it with the rest of the machine.

Ditto. It makes no sense that i can play through the tutorial just fine but not chapter 2.
Code:
Operating System
	Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
CPU
	AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+	29 °C
	Windsor 90nm Technology
RAM
	2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 420MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
	30 °C
Graphics
	AL2016W (1680x1050@59Hz)
	512MB ATI Radeon X1950 Pro (Diamond)
	ATI Radeon X1950 Pro Secondary (Diamond)
	CrossFire Disabled
Storage
	1863GB Seagate ST32000542AS ATA Device (SATA)	36 °C
	232GB MDT MD2500BB-00GUA0 ATA Device (ATA)	39 °C
Optical Drives
	HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device
	DTSoftBusCd00
Audio
	High Definition Audio Device

System.ArgumentException: Texture width or height is larger than the device supports.
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.ValidateSizeParamsAgainstCaps(Int32 width, Int32 height, _D3DCAPS9 caps, Int32 numberLevels, String widthParamName, String heightParamName)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.CreateTexture(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 numberLevels, UInt32 usage, _D3DPOOL pool, SurfaceFormat format)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D..ctor(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 numberLevels, TextureUsage usage, SurfaceFormat format)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Texture2DReader.Read(ContentReader input, Texture2D existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader[T](ContentTypeReader reader, Object existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal[T](Object existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect.ControllerMouseAction(Controller iSender, Point iScreenSize, MouseState iState, MouseState iOldState)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.UI.Tome.ControllerMouseAction(KeyboardMouseController keyboardMouseController, Point screenSize, MouseState newMouseState, MouseState mOldMouseState)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.Controls.KeyboardMouseController.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.Controls.ControlManager.HandleInput(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.GameState.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.MenuState.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.GameStateManager.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

0x009a Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.ValidateSizeParamsAgainstCaps
0x014d Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.CreateTexture
0x0006 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D..ctor
0x0033 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Texture2DReader.Read
0x0023 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader
0x0040 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal
0x0000 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObject
0x0007 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadAsset
0x0039 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset
0x0085 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load
0x00ca Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCutscene..ctor
0x0021 Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCutscene.get_Instance
0x0250 Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect.StartLevel
0x1242 Magicka.exe->Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect.ControllerMouseAction
0x003b CommonLanguageRuntimeLibrary->System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context

These problems are usually graphics related. I see you have XFire, but it's disabled. It doesn't change anything to enable it?

Its likely the same problem as these guys, but just in case i will post my stuff too.

Code:
My dxdiag: [url]http://pastebin.com/tGXfde0v[/url]

And the latest error report
--

--

Same problem, I beat Yugg, i walk off screen to the northeast, and it crashed. Every time I hit start after selecting my file, it just crashes without a sound or message.
This is particularly annoying since it played perfectly fine up until then, and i was even playing online at one point. The game is fantastic, so needing to spend hundreds or more just to play it is mildly heartbreaking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey

My brother had the same problem with the same i5 and same graphics.

We fixed by merely updating his driver.
You can use Intel's tool:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Although, his game runs at terrible speed.
Which, I don't really understand, as my computer have Intel Graphics HD 3000 and it works fine (outside of fullscreen)

Hey

My brother had the same problem with the same i5 and same graphics.

We fixed by merely updating his driver.
You can use Intel's tool:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Although, his game runs at terrible speed.
Which, I don't really understand, as my computer have Intel Graphics HD 3000 and it works fine (outside of fullscreen)

This is good advice for you who play with Intel HD Graphics.