• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GC13

The Last Emperor of Sol
90 Badges
Dec 30, 2010
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Pillars of Eternity
I like Sengoku, especially playing as the Nanbu. Something I've noticed in my several hours of playing, though, is that two wives just doesn't seem to be enough. My current clan head, for instance, produced all of two children with his two wives. His only male son died either of pneumonia or a ninja sword through the chest. I wasn't reading very closely, I must admit, but he had the pneumonia trait on death but died while I was in the middle of a war, had aggravated vassals, and with a ninja attack notice right around the same time (that I accidentally dismissed).

This would normally not be a problem, except as I mentioned he happened to be the only one. This doesn't appear to be an isolated incident either: I have a lot of trouble getting a sufficient stable of heirs such that I'm always playing as the clan head without ninjas getting involved. Am I doing something wrong here? I suppose moving up to four wives should be the first remedy I take, but are birth rates really so low? My current leader has the pneumonia trait as well, but I rather doubt it and its massive fertility penalty was there the whole time... At least I hope it wasn't.

I had a bunch of heirs with my two wives so I think it is someone's secret fertility modifier being low.

first of all, your best bet is to have as many wives as you can find. second, if you notice that your heir has any kind of sickness, try naming another kid as your successor. even better, there are traits that increase fertility, e.g. grey eminence, so choose those kids whenever you can.

I always have my clan leader married to 4 women. I pick one for each of the stats, also wanting health/fertility increasing bonuses on them as much as practical. The fourth one I go for a fertility bonus on. Also, marry young women. I find later on in the game, a bunch of 50 year olds etc end up as people you can marry. But you shouldn't.

I also try to have my heir married to 4 women.

Yeah, next time I play I'm going to spam marriages. My guys just die off too quickly for two wives to be enough. It's quite odd, when you think about it...

Yeah, next time I play I'm going to spam marriages. My guys just die off too quickly for two wives to be enough. It's quite odd, when you think about it...

Ya, but it's the only way. Some games I get so carried away with all the wars that I forget to spam-marry, and I literally have noone in my court and very few heirs

Besides heirs you should get wives for the stat bonuses as well. Remember, you get a bonus from the wife with highest skill level in the category, so it's good to have multiple wives with high skills in different areas.

I usually have major problems running out of people in my court to give land to and to fill my council. Once I get to control 3 - 4 kuni my supply of new courtiers somehow dries up and I watch with increasing anxiety how my vassals slowly outgrow me every time. Any tips on getting extra courtiers?

The clan menu - where you can buy honour, I believe the bottom-most option is to pay to have a random courtier show up. They are usually crap though.

One question, as I'm experienced in Sengoku, but not really in other Paradox games. What is the big problem if youre son is not the heir? As far as I can tell, it will go to one of your brothers probably, and the game continues on. What are the negative effects of this?

One question, as I'm experienced in Sengoku, but not really in other Paradox games. What is the big problem if youre son is not the heir? As far as I can tell, it will go to one of your brothers probably, and the game continues on. What are the negative effects of this?
If your personal heir is not the same one as the clan heir, then you will lose leadership of the clan and have to continue as a vassal. If you have no sons, and your brother/uncle/nephew is your only heir, then there aren't any negative effects.