• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MichaelM

For the Glory lead
10 Badges
Jun 30, 2004
crystalempiregames.com
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
For best results on Windows 8, follow these instructions for Darkest Hour.
A modified quote follows:

This is how you do it:

Go to your [ed: For the Glory] folder.
Right Click on the [ed: FTG] exe and select properties.
In properties go to compatibility.
Press reduced color mode.
Then select 16 Bit color in the box under Reduced color mode.
After that you have to go open your [ed: settings.txt] file
and write fullscreen = no instead of fullscreen = yes in the display mode.
after that the game will be windowed and it has to be like that to work.

It won't work if you don't run it in windowed mode!
Please note that you will also need to make the resolution smaller than your screen, or else the game window can't display properly. E.g. for a 1920x1080 screen, the maximum window size is around 1850x900; you could experiment with moving the Windows taskbar around or hiding it to get a little extra room.

The reason for this is that Windows 8 does not normally support 16-bit color, which all Europa engine games require.

Windows 8 is a poison ofr most of the older games - true. But what is the progress of the patch 1.3 in this area? You said that this is in high priority to fix before the final release.

The next 1.3 beta will also make the game use My Documents instead of its install location if it is installed in a location that is not writable (like C:\Program Files). It's not so much a Windows 8 fix as it is a long-overdue Windows Vista/7 fix.

The two beta testers who have Windows 8 are reporting no issues currently.

It could follow the path Paradox has taken and allow a userdir.txt file to specify a location other than the default My Documents.

It could follow the path Paradox has taken and allow a userdir.txt file to specify a location other than the default My Documents.
It does, yes.

To be precise, the current implementation first checks if userdir.txt exists. If not, it attempts to write a test file to the install location and then delete it. If writing failed, only then does it fall back to My Documents.

I have windows 8 64 bit and it works fine. :happy: