• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

UseYourIlusion

Second Lieutenant
59 Badges
Feb 22, 2013
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Semper Fi
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
UseYourIlusion said:
I've seen a few people interested in tools to extract additional information from a save game, or to present the data in a certain way.

Most recently I saw Gloria Mundi which provides a lot of great info but has not been updated recently (and appears as if it won't be) and doesn't work as it should with the most recent version of the game.

To cut short what could otherwise become a sprawling monologue of irrelevant text - I'm trying to develop something to acheive some (maybe all?) of the functionality of the above mentioned program; plus anything else that presents itself as possible/useful/interesting.

Current functionality is as so;

SGAEarly.png

Basically - A list of all the dynasties in the game, sorted by Prestige and Piety - which can then be broken down to the people within that dynasty, again sorted in the same way.

Update: Currently working on adding more detail to the individual characters, including means of filtering them in case you are looking for a perspective partner, vassel or whatever. Individiual character screens show relations and traits as well as if they have a nickname (though much of this stuff isn't localised yet) - and I'm starting work on what I'm calling renown (The Leg: 46.38 in the screenshot is that characters renown - it's still kinda rough, alright?), which will track how well known a character is (even after death) - currently this takes into account traits and nicknames, as well as a percentage of inheritance from relations, though the numbers are very rough early figures and it will obviously have other important stuff (like titles) in their once it progresses.

Next step will be to go into further detail for individuals, information on their titles held - and then improve renown. Also need to look into localising. And filtering needs to be improved as other features are added. Also optimisation - because it is slow at the moment.

There are a few bugs noticable in the above shot; Special characters aren't shown, comments are; But it gives you an idea - even if it isn't pretty (And I should add that, unlike GM above, I'm not making any guarantees it ever will be. But you never know.)

Finally - Credit for the idea and such goes to Kinniken - I'm just building on the groundwork of what has already been done - and hopefully they are happy for me to develop this (although it would be even better if they just updated GM - would save me some effort! :eek: ).

Version 0.4 (Alpha)

Install Instructions:

Download zip file and unzip to wherever you want it. (Requires Java)

Usage Instructions:

Copy any Save files you want to analyse into the Saves folder. (There is an example 'ZzzzTestGame.ck2' already in there).
****IMPORTANT**** As of RoI, CK2 compresses saves - If you wish to use them you must uncompress them first. ****
Launch CK2.jar
Select the Save you want from the dropdown list.
(If using a mod select it from the mod dropdown).
DO NOT tick the Inherit Renown box. Seriously, I mean it.
DO click open.
Wait some unspecified period of time depending on computer speed and how many decades worth of save file you loaded.
Click on a dynasty (or type it's number in the box provided) and click details to bring up a list of people in that dynasty. (Alternatively Show All (-1) shows all characters in the save).
Characters can then be filtered by a number of factors (see Q&A below for more details).
Again click on a character or type in their number and click details for information on a specific character.
DO NOT click Map Titles (it won't do anything).
You can click on Map Family (.ged) to produce a GEDCOM file for that character's dynasty
Finally, (after reading the Q&A) tell me what needs fixed/added etc.

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280308/CK2-SGA.zip

Compatability patches for supported Mods:
VIET
***IMPORTANT NOTE***
VIET is obviously modular and several of the modules add things that can affect the Analyser. There may potentially be issues if you are not using all modules.

Q&A:
Why won't my Save Load?
There are a number of reasons this could happen. First check the save is not using any unsupported mod (if it is using an unsupported mod, see below) and check that the save is loading in CK2. Check that you can load the included example 'ZzzzTestGame.ck2'. If the example is loading fine you can send me the save file and I will try to fix the problem.

Why can't I use <insert mod here> with this analyser?
It is possible that you can. The analyser makes use of a number of sets of data that many mods will not touch in which case they may work fine (of course, for other reasons, they may not). For ones that add/modify traits/dynasties the appropriate data sets will need changed in the analyser. This is pretty simple to change if you want to try it - though I will likely help if you ask.

What mods does this currently work with?
VIET is the first (and thus far only) mod I have updated for. Why VIET? Because it's the mod I play with most that isn't a complete overhaul.

How do I install a mod compatability patch?
Copy the included folder inside the DataFiles Folder (there should already be a folder called -Vanilla inside).

Mods that you support are causing me problems?
Make sure that you don't have any other mods running that could be causing problems. Order of loading for traits makes a big difference, as the numbers are assigned by load order.

I ticked the box you told me not to tick...
That isn't a question... however, the Inherit Renown feature is still very unoptomised; this isn't an issue as such except that it's slow. The idea is to map how well known a character is based, not only on who they are but who they're related to/married to. The unlanded child of the King is going to be more well known then a standard unlanded character for example. Of course there are a lot of relations in CK2, and they only pile up over time. If you don't mind leaving it to work for a long time (seriously, it's very slow at the moment) then you can try it (though it's still in it's infancy). If you want a quick view of how it works so far though click it for the test save - that's from day 1 and so is pretty quick (a lot of people are unmarried at the start of the game).

I also clicked the map titles button...
This isn't functioning at all at the moment.

How does searching by trait work?
You have two boxes for traits, traits a character has, and traits a character does not have. You can search by either the name or number of the traits (seperated by commas). So if you want a quick, gregarious person who isn't ambition the With box would contain 57,92 or quick,gregarious or quick,92 and the Without box would contain 93 or ambitious (no spaces).

nick_such and such?
nick_ is the nickname used by the game; this needs localised.

I encountered a bug, have a suggestion, need this to work with a certain mod/save, want to criticise/praise you or provide feedback in some manner?
Best thing to do is post in the thread on the CK2 mod forums. Or PM me.

Version Log

Updated for Rajas of India
Stripped comments
Updated Trait search to use name or number (rathar than just number - still comma seperated with no spaces)

Added support for Mods
Fixed Dates to show month and day
Removed comments from dynasty names
Fixed issue with encoding

Added GEDCOM generation

Initial Release

Last edited:
Huh. I wasn't aware of Gloria Mundi until I saw your link, but I really like the idea. If you can get your program working to your satisfaction, I would definitely give it a whirl. It might open up some new ways for me to play this game.

Good luck with your project!

EDIT: I hesitate to even bring this up, since it always bothers me when people ask too much of mod-makers who are making stuff and giving it away for free. However, I feel like there's some overlap between the functions of the utility you're planning to make, and badger_ken's Matchmaker utility. Matchmaker is a pretty helpful tool for combing through characters in CK2, but the program is unfortunately sorely outdated, and lacking some features that could make it significantly more useful. I imagine that simply by virtue of working on your program, you'll have to duplicate much of Matchmaker's save searching functionality. You would be in a better position than most to create a program that could improve upon the Matchmaker's functionality.

Of course, if you don't have any interest in expanding your utility in that way, or not enough interest that you'd actually want to invest the time and effort required, I would totally understand. I've typed all this up in the hopes that my suggestion appeals to you, but I'm not really expecting anything on that front. I'm definitely interested in the program you're planning to make, even without any extra features. I'm sorry if my suggestion was too much. I look forward to whatever you create.

Last edited:
I hesitate to even bring this up, since it always bothers me when people ask too much of mod-makers who are making stuff and giving it away for free.
No need to hesitate, I get your point but as I said
plus anything else that presents itself as possible/useful/interesting.
Things aren't as likely to present themselves if noone suggests things they think would fit in those categories. (Just don't demand it gets added! :laugh:)
Besides where's the fun in posting stuff if noone wants to use it because it doesn't do anything they actually want!

Matchmaker's stuff definately looks like it could be useful functionality, and my program should be covering many of the things that it appears to use as criteria anyway (sex,alive,age,married,traits, etc) so it shouldn't be too much extra to add in at least some of the functionality (I haven't looked too in detail at Matchmaker yet so I won't guarantee all of it will come easy). I'll definately try and get it added once I have the individual character stuff a bit more developed.

No need to hesitate, I get your point but as I said

plus anything else that presents itself as possible/useful/interesting.

Things aren't as likely to present themselves if noone suggests things they think would fit in those categories. (Just don't demand it gets added! :laugh:)

Hah, well I guess I've just seen enough jerks acting horribly entitled towards people who are providing them with content that I've become a little hypersensitive about it. Especially when the content creators are doing it for free! I didn't want to come across as someone who was demanding anything of you, because that is super uncool.

Besides where's the fun in posting stuff if noone wants to use it because it doesn't do anything they actually want!

Well, as I said, I would definitely use it whether or not you included any Matchmaker functionality. I'd just use it more if you do. I suppose there would be some people who would only be interested in the Matchmaker-type functions and not the GM-type aspects, though.

Matchmaker's stuff definately looks like it could be useful functionality, and my program should be covering many of the things that it appears to use as criteria anyway (sex,alive,age,married,traits, etc) so it shouldn't be too much extra to add in at least some of the functionality (I haven't looked too in detail at Matchmaker yet so I won't guarantee all of it will come easy). I'll definately try and get it added once I have the individual character stuff a bit more developed.

Yeah, I don't see anything in Matchmaker that looks like it would be more complicated than what you're already doing. However, I have next to no programming knowledge, so there might be something I've overlooked that would make it more difficult. Anyhow, I'm very glad you're interested in the possibility of incorporating that stuff into your program! I find myself using Matchmaker quite a bit, even though it is rather sorely outdated.

This is probably rather premature, but I've actually put some thought into updating Matchmaker myself, before I realized that with my piss poor coding skills I'd be too far out of my depth. However, I have a mental list of features that the program is currently lacking, which I'd be happy to write down for you if you're ever interested. None of them are too complex, I think. Just stuff that's missing, for whatever reason.

Anyway, I'm very interested to see whatever you wind up releasing, even if you can't include all the features you might like to in your first release. If you don't mind me asking, what language are you writing this in? I'm just asking out of curiosity; I don't have enough proficiency with any programming language to offer any real help, unfortunately.

Updated Screenshot in the OP.

Basically, I've added in a few early filters; Living/Dead/Any, has these traits, doesn't have these traits. (Screenshot example shows searching all dynasties for living characters with chaste)
Also working on obtaining the character details and relationships between them.
And finally started work on Renown - which will be based on a number of factors but will allow living characters to be compared more directly to deceased ones in terms of success and, well, how renowned they were/are.

Also not fully localised so nicknames take the form nick_whatever and, while I have, what I call, a traitabase (groan), you still have to filter by the number of the trait.

I have a mental list of features that the program is currently lacking, which I'd be happy to write down for you if you're ever interested. None of them are too complex, I think. Just stuff that's missing, for whatever reason.
Any feedback/advice/thoughts etc are welcome! No guarantees of course but if you've got something to say, say it!
Anyway, I'm very interested to see whatever you wind up releasing, even if you can't include all the features you might like to in your first release. If you don't mind me asking, what language are you writing this in? I'm just asking out of curiosity; I don't have enough proficiency with any programming language to offer any real help, unfortunately.
I'm kinda unsure what my aim is for "first release". It's pretty unoptimised at the moment and I'm not really sure how much functionality people would want before they would at least use it a little. And I'm doing it in Java - mostly due to the fact I can be fairly certain it will work on both Windows and Mac, should any Mac users wish to make use of it (I'm more of a (variants of) C programmer usually).

This is awesome, I still use Gloria Mundi from time to time, but due to using mods it looks semi buggy when used. Obviously this is just a dream, but I've always wanted some sort of mapping program that would essentially show you how the world has changed every year (with all the info included in this mod). That way you could go back and look at how your world changed from start to finish. You could have a slider for the date and just move it up and and down and it would read the save file. This could show you who had what title at what time, the extent of their kingdom, etc. I have no idea how difficult something like this would be, but it's always been in the back of my head as something that would be really cool to have. Good luck!

Obviously this is just a dream, but I've always wanted some sort of mapping program that would essentially show you how the world has changed every year (with all the info included in this mod).
The biggest problem I can see with that is that as far as I'm aware the savefile only stores current liege/liege at time of death - which could obviously lead to inaccuracies in who the top liege of a particular character was at any given point in their life, especially if it compounds. (I may be wrong though, or there may be ways to work around it, I will have to have a dig).

One thing, that is similar that I definately want to do is a graph of how many titles are held by a specific dynasty over time - and the idea of putting it on an actual shifting map is appealing. Wheter I could fully extend it to work - and include the full Kingdom (or Empire, independant duchy or county) we'll have to wait and see.

The biggest problem I can see with that is that as far as I'm aware the savefile only stores current liege/liege at time of death - which could obviously lead to inaccuracies in who the top liege of a particular character was at any given point in their life, especially if it compounds. (I may be wrong though, or there may be ways to work around it, I will have to have a dig).

One thing, that is similar that I definately want to do is a graph of how many titles are held by a specific dynasty over time - and the idea of putting it on an actual shifting map is appealing. Wheter I could fully extend it to work - and include the full Kingdom (or Empire, independant duchy or county) we'll have to wait and see.

I'm pretty sure (not 100%), but I think at the bottom of the save game files where it lists all of the titles, it has previous holders listed. This may be able to be used.

I'm pretty sure (not 100%), but I think at the bottom of the save game files where it lists all of the titles, it has previous holders listed. This may be able to be used.

It could, as EU3 analyser does, create a gif showing the changes on the map throughout the game.

Btw, keep up the great work :)!

Yeh it has who held a particular title at what time, but say you're the count of Fife in 1066, and after 3 years of independence you swear fealty to the Duke of Lothian - 10 years later he dies and you now owe Fealty to his Son, but then 5 years later Britannia comes along and fights the Duke of Lothian to conquer Fife using a CB that transfers you're vassalege rather than transferring direct ownership. 2 Years later a new Britannian Duke becomes you're liege. And Finally, for giggles, the Emperor of Britannia decides to revoke you're vassalege from the duke and gift the whole county to the Queen of France.
You've been the Count of the province for the whole time, but the top level ruler has changed multiple times during your rule - I'm not sure how easy it would be to evaluate those changes, and ultimately figure out what realm you were in at various stages in your rule.

It could, as EU3 analyser does, create a gif showing the changes on the map throughout the game.
You mean an animated one? <shudders>

Finally someone doing this! Thank you very much :D Don't worry about trying to "fill Gloria Mundi"s boots. Whatever you make to a save game analyser will be most welcome! :D

I've added in the current holdings to an individual character's sheet now - still need to do vassalege and history of who previously held it - but have started playing a little with mapping.

Currently reading in the provinces.bmp file (which combined with the definitions file should allow us to relatively easily extend the software to work with mods that change the map (hopefully)) and modifying it to show certain information.

For Example;
SGAMapEarly.png
In this shot we have a character who has a number of counties (and dukedoms/baronies/kingdoms, but for the moment we're just looking at counties) and these are shown on the map with red/orange stripes. Lands held by their family members are then shown on the map with purple/pink stripes. More would want to be added to this as we progress - perhaps another colour for vassals of the character, or vassals of their dyansty members; or maybe give each dynasty a different colour combination so as to compare on the map which dynasty actually directly holds the most land. There's a number of things you may potentially want to see.

On a completely different note. As I've said before I'm looking at making a renown stat that tracks how well-known a character is, even after they have died. Obviously there's quite a lot of things that can feed into this and at the moment I'm just kind of throwing numbers at it without really thinking about it. However I'd quite like to balance it out some - otherwise the stat is pretty useless - but don't want to take too much time when I could be working on actual features (and, you know other stuff I actually need to do!) so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in putting together some more logically balanced numbers?
Things I would see affecting it would be:
Traits - Some traits are going to make you more well known (either possitively or negatively), some are going to make you less known (like shy for example), some won't really effect things at all.
Nicknames - Being known as "the great" should be a historical accomplishment that is remembered, being known as "the fat" less so.
Titles Held - I would forsee this being affected by length held as well - King for a day isn't really that worth remembering.
Inheritance - I currently have character's inheriting one percent of renown from spouses, parents and children to reflect them being known through association. Values maybe should be tweaked.
And there are probably other things I'm not thinking of.

Last edited:
I am definitely looking forward to using this.

I am definitely looking forward to using this.
I'm sorry :blush:

GM went and updated so I kinda put this on hold - of course then the game went and updated affecting both GM and my program (at least from what I've read, I haven't actually tested it).

I'll try and get what I have fixed and tidied up over the weekend and at least release what I have - hopefully I'll have time to add some more stuff as well.

EDIT: Ok my program definately doesn't work properly on current saves. Obviously SoA/the relating patch adds stuff like some new traits and modifiers and such which I'm not accounting for. I don't actually have SoA yet, though that shouldn't be a major problem.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay!

But here is version 0.1 Codenamed: Alpha, really, really, alpha (but I know some people want to use it so it's at least something). (or ARRA:BSPWI for short).

Install Instructions:

Download zip file and unzip to wherever you want it.

Usage Instructions:

Copy any Save files you want to analyse into the Saves folder. (There is an example 'ZzzzTestGame.ck2' already in there).
Launch CK2.jar
Select the Save you want from the dropdown list.
DO NOT tick the Inherit Renown box. Seriously, I mean it.
DO click open.
Wait some unspecified period of time depending on computer speed and how many decades worth of save file you loaded.
Click on a dynasty (or type it's number in the box provided) and click details to bring up a list of people in that dynasty. (Alternatively Show All (-1) shows all characters in the save).
Characters can then be filtered by a number of factors (see Q&A below for more details).
Again click on a character or type in their number and click details for information on a specific character.
DO NOT click Map Titles.
Finally, come on the forum and (after reading the Q&A) tell me what needs fixed/added etc.

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280308/CK2-SGA.zip

Q&A:
Why won't my Save Load?
There are a number of reasons this could happen. First check the save is not using any mod (if it is using a mod, see below) and check that the save is loading in CK2. Check that you can load the included example 'ZzzzTestGame.ck2'. If the example is loading fine you can send me the save file and I will try to fix the problem.

Why can't I use <insert mod here> with this analyser?
It is possible that you can. The analyser makes use of a number of sets of data that many mods will not touch in which case they may work fine (of course, for other reasons, they may not). For ones that add/modify traits/dynasties the appropriate data sets will need changed in the analyser. This is pretty simple to change if you want to try it - though I intend to do some myself and set up a multi-setup approach so you can, for example, analyse save A as vanilla, then save B using VIET then save C using Elder Kings and so on and so forth.

I ticked the box you told me not to tick...
That isn't a question... however, the Inherit Renown feature is still very unoptomised; this isn't an issue as such except that it's slow. The idea is to map how well known a character is based, not only on who they are but who they're related to/married to. The unlanded child of the King is going to be more well known then a standard unlanded character for example. Of course there are a lot of relations in CK2, and they only pile up over time. If you don't mind leaving it to work for a long time (seriously, it's very slow at the moment) then you can try it (though it's still in it's infancy). If you want a quick view of how it works so far though click it for the test save - that's from day 1 and so is pretty quick (a lot of people are unmarried at the start of the game).

I also clicked the map titles button...
Yeh? It's clearly not very finished is it. Next Question?

How does searching by trait work?
You have two boxes for traits, traits a character has, and traits a character does not have. Currently you need to type the number of the traits (seperated by commas) (this will be localised eventually) into those boxes. So if you want a quick, gregarious person who isn't ambition the With box would contain 57,92 and the Without box would contain 93 (no spaces).

nick_such and such; #something or other?
nick_ is the nickname used by the game; this needs localised. # is for a comment; I need to either code the analyser to ignore them or strip them out of the dynasty file.

I encountered a bug, have a suggestion, need this to work with a certain mod/save, want to criticise/praise you or provide feedback in some manner?
Best thing to do is post in this thread. Or PM me.

Last edited:
I have added the functionality to produce a .ged file for a character's dynasty so the family tree can be viewed in genealogy software.
It seems to work fairly well for an initial release but bear in mind that it may be lacking in areas or not work entirely as expected (The software I'm using is reporting warnings when it imports but it seems to be interpreting it correctly even so. Of course if you have actual problems with it let me know).

(I've realised just now as well that children born outside of wedlock are going to cause issues as is... so that's at least one thing that needs fixed).

Last edited:
Version 0.3 adds mods support. Well, it's mostly potential for mod support; I currently only have files written up for VIET but can probably get some more set up if people want them and the mod creator's give me permission. I fixed a couple of minor things as well; though I'm sure there's plenty more left to change.