• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 19
1052 - 1058
Sultan Isalcas III of Canaries
Part II

1.jpg

Classic moves, destroy all stacks as fast, as you can.

2.jpg

And the rebels only helped with weakening Rus.

3.jpg

The battle went too well.

4.jpg

Yeah, thanks to me Russia is again united... huh, now it's get harder.

5.jpg

Harder and harder. These hosts and claimants really loves me.

6.jpg

Status quo before some important moves, remember, Rus is slavic, so damn high bonuses for defending.

7.jpg

New king, he isn't great, but taking into account he got a lot of support during rebelion I can't risk.

8.jpg

If only for 350 gold, why not?

9.jpg

And there's that battle, on some neutral territory, decisive victory which allowed me to annihilate stack in next small clashes.

1.jpg

When he was close to get into first castle, had to assasinate him. He was done after 2 fails.

2.jpg

Overall. Me slowly conquering lands and Russia slowly organizing army.

3.jpg

Yes, I lost so many troops, that lonely priest sent that "proposition" to me.

4.jpg

Haven't choice and set him free.

5.jpg

While Russia is dealing with more rebeles, more holding in my hands.

6.jpg

Risky battle, they attacked with 50% troops more (1k) but while crossing the river.

7.jpg

It gave me almost 30% warscore, so without losing any battle I finally won the war, doubling territory of my realm.

Last edited:
Wow.....also impressive distance to your home base. :D

But for your good there is no distance penalty anymore.
Go go go !

edit: I forgot, there is still a distance multiplier for factions. Not that big though or comparable to the old distance penalty IMHO.

Last edited:
Only in CKII can you see Canarian- led Mali launching an invasion of Russia.

Good job on your conquests, though holding this much wrong- culture land might be a problem

Chapter 20
1058 - 1067
Sultan Isalcas III of Canaries
Part III

2.jpg

During last war, my ruler came to adulthood. Propably worst ruler, which I played since last 100h in ck2... duh.

Yes, I don't know why my kingdom is called "theocracy" but thanks to it my heir is going to inherit both kingdoms despite gavelkind in both of them. Weird.

1.jpg

First thing, what I did was reorganising the kingdoms, basically I banished all dukes and most counts, while creating high priests as new vassals.

As you can see in sample screen, one duke "gave" me a lot of gold so any "problems" with gold got solved, went from 2k to 8k thanks to banishing.

3.jpg

Vassals in Mali.

4.jpg

First rebellion.

6.jpg

Of course, surrendered to him. He chosen good time, before my kingdom was in proper state.

5.jpg

First retinues in my game, will be pain in the ass to transport them there and there.

7.jpg

Another peasant revolter, already landed, using his free troops conquered my another province.

8.jpg

His mighty state.

9.jpg

My vassals in Russia after I won civil war, which inherited from previoUs local ruler.

1.jpg

My military potential, slowly growing strong since the start of the game.

2.jpg

Faces of all my vassals if anyone would be interested.

3.jpg

Finally Taghlibid Sultanate got some civil war.

4.jpg

If someone remember, muslims control that lonely barony, which is my holy site.

5.jpg

7.jpg

That guy, who left me, being pwned, well, he deserved it.

8.jpg

Before I even moved my army somewhere, civil war ended, so mine too.

1.jpg

Next civil war happened, so I declared wars for 3 northern provinces and holy site.

2.jpg

Some nice looking mosaic.

4.jpg

I gained marked provs and holy site, even before warscore went to 100%.

1.jpg

To win the last war, I needed to go into Iberia... A lot of armies everywhere.

2.jpg

Well... it was quite unexpected, but I'm not surprised why that happened.

1.jpg

Next bugged thing, not only inheriting both kingdoms with gavelkind, but no pretenders beign produced.... yes. That black child, which was first heir was assinated by me some years ago, wanted to look more "berber".

Last edited:
Very interesting. Maybe you are called a theocracy because of all your priest vassals? At least it serves to keep your kingdoms together.

Very interesting. Maybe you are called a theocracy because of all your priest vassals? At least it serves to keep your kingdoms together.
Thanks. But certainly not this, I was "theocracy" even before banishing everyone, while having only Iceland as theocracy vassal, all other from Russia and Mali were normal feuduals.

Wow.....also impressive distance to your home base.

But for your good there is no distance penalty anymore.
Go go go !

edit: I forgot, there is still a distance multiplier for factions. Not that big though or comparable to the old distance penalty IMHO.

Heh, I found old "distance mechanics" pretty nice. I wish they still would be there.

Only in CKII can you see Canarian- led Mali launching an invasion of Russia.

Good job on your conquests, though holding this much wrong- culture land might be a problem
That's why I'm loving this game.

Chapter 21
1067 - 1083
Sultan Medjan I the Great of Canaries
Part I

1.jpg

It will be hard to change him into proper ruler in 6 years.

2.jpg

After few first months of rule gained a claim for holy site.

But why I'm doing claims there? Thanks to them, I can't avoid all distances, and attack even in-landed not-border provinces.

Normal player would conquer more and more, slowly going in direction of specific province, by using claims I can't skip entire proces.

So now instead of winning 30-40 conquest wars (and remember, winning any war with Andalusia is beyond my capability) I can win one.

3.jpg

Location of it, what will be important some time later.

4.jpg

War started by my father ended. After playing normal Mali campaign I'm accustomed to it.

5.jpg

All my vassals don't like me, so not big deal.

6.jpg

He plotted, so I couldn't resist imprisoning for free.

7.jpg

Again trying...

8.jpg

And again civil war ends before I managed to do anything.

1.jpg

Got adult, I will say he's great, taking into account how he looked like few years ago.

2.jpg

Newly-formed Perm is having some aspirations

3.jpg

Cause I can only raise 1-3k from my Russia and he have around 9k... I surrendered at first day.

4.jpg

How it looks in all its glory.

5.jpg

Some host, it would be weird if any wouldn't show up.

6.jpg

Soon I will not have enough space for the bodies.

7.jpg

Another try and another fail.

8.jpg

Because I don't wanna die from boredoom all time trying conquest in Mauretania, now some wars with OPMs from Volga Bulgaria.

9.jpg

Some free imprisonment, lowering chances of civil war.

1.jpg

Overall screenshot for that campaign.

2.jpg

How it looks after I incorporated first county.

3.jpg

King of Ruthenia attacked me, and you can see how many soldiers he have. Normal procedure - surrender at start.

4.jpg

For what he was "fighting".

6.jpg

My vassals started civil war for his claim.

7.jpg

But hey, why I even had russian-slavic vassal?

Well, after reorganisation of my kingdom he was the vassal of one high-priest.

Afanasiy take advantage of situation and did successful subjugation on Tver, becoming "independent" duke in process.

8.jpg

The easiest solution is the best one.

9.jpg

After being king for years, I have finally some military potential.

1.jpg

Warm-up for my army, before starting bigger project.

2.jpg

If you ask why I'm even posting screens about them, I'm doing it only because I want to show how often they appear.

3.jpg

After 3 fails.

1.jpg

My younger brothers.

Something like "Maaaan, he should be the king", and yes, some of my vassals also thought so, starting factions for them.

2.jpg

Peasant revolter happened, marked for red is conquered prov.

3.jpg

In the end, I didn't wanted to risk life of my troops for one province.

4.jpg

But if I can raise 13k army, why I even care about that 3k? About it in next chapter.

Last edited:
Chapter 22
1083 - 1090
Part II

5.jpg

That's why I protected my people. There's some new king of Perm, having only 7k army in total, now doing some campaign for OPM in Finland, so I couldn't take better moment for my offensive.

6.jpg

All armies from both sides are visible on this screen.

1.jpg

Basically after battle ended, Kingdom of Perm was doomed.

2.jpg

Killing off reorganised remnants army.

3.jpg

Gathered 1000 prestige, never liked those ambitions, but If i can get some profit, why not.

4.jpg

Got into prison another vassal, he's Russian/Slavic and duke, because he rebelled against one of my high priest and won.

5.jpg

I'm slowly achieving perfection is showing hosts. Three important info in one screen.

7.jpg

After few provinces were conquered and another army beaten, 100% and empire got some new lands!

8.jpg

Ok, those provs aren't the richest, don't have many troops or possible holdings, but they're mine! And it looks so beautiful.

Plus, considering I can use one subjugation per ruler, and big pagan states besides Perm are Sweden and Cumania... in theory, I can blob a lot more in following years.

9.jpg

With new kingdom got some civil war (with Surgut from previous screen), ended it as fast, as I could.

1.jpg

Yes, first thing, what I do was banishing EVERYONE! In the screen you can see some exemplary rich count, who ofc. got banished.

My treasury went from 8k to 15k in few months.

By the way, during "banishation" of the realm, I got rid of all mande rulers in Mali.

There were few counts, but now assigned there only berber ones.

In Perm/Russia situation wasn't so good, and there are still plenty counts with other religion/culture, but I haven't enough piety at the moment and they're under high priests, so nothing bad.

3.jpg

New structure of vassals in "eastern" part of the empire. Yes, maybe I exaggerated with some sizes, but who cares. I can always banish them again.

1.jpg

Some quick look at my ruler... I got 3 kingdoms already, starting as lonely Canaries. Well, it's some progress.

2.jpg

Gavelkind with new kingdom started working, so had to assinate second son. I'm happy with that change, otherwise would be too easy.

4.jpg

When I was thinking about my further conquests Papa showed me the road to the heaven of blobing, unfortunately, not only me.

I can only say, that during rule of Medjan the most important things since the start of the game will happen. Conquering Perm was first, crusade (and it effects) are second... and there will be even more. But more about that in next chapters.

Last edited:
Chapter 23
1090 - 1098
Part III

1.jpg

Best moment to take my holy site.

2.jpg

More Christians are joining and civil war within sultanate ended.

3.jpg

Idiotic moves of sultan, instead of focusing on damn crusaders, he want to wipe out me.

4.jpg

Strong son appeared, so older one need to die.

5.jpg

Two most interesting crusaders, and yeah, king of Ireland is truly butcher of muslims.

6.jpg

First time I've seen all members of crusade attaching forces to papa.

7.jpg

Well, while battle was kinda epic, muslims somewhat won.

8.jpg

Ehe.

9.jpg

When I finally got into holy site, yet again Sultan is trying to destroy me in first place.

1.jpg

I lost. My army from Mali scattered into winds. You thinks I should stop now... but if damn christians can do some journey to Andalusia, my people to!

2.jpg

20k army of slavic/suomensko pagans under west african command are going through all Europe to Mauretania. Funny view.

3.jpg

Sultan called one ally.

4.jpg

Lands of that sultan. And he's really going from Ethiopia to Mauretania for help only...

5.jpg

The crusade proved to be a real success of papal politics and diplomacy.

You can also see some battle taking place and my army, which is slowly organising in enemy lands.

6.jpg

Some time later. King of Lotharingia arrived, instantly sieging some castles.

7.jpg

Huh...

1.jpg

Basically, some excommunicated/homosexual king joined to the crusade, appeared when all muslims forces were shattered, did some fast blitzkrieg on some muslims land and acquired everything creating mighty empire in process. Only in ck2.

8.jpg

Wanted to get rid of ethipian muslims, so assasinated sultan.

9.jpg

When all local forces were in distant lands, some peasant revolter forced me to surrender one county to him.

1.jpg

Pagans doing their dirty job.

2.jpg

Ruthenia once again grabed some of my lands.

3.jpg

Without army and holdings, surrendered before 100%. For me, gorgeous situation.

4.jpg

But then Cumania did, what I wanted. Subjugation. When most of my troops were slowly replenishing...

5.jpg

That guy is holding holy site, so killed him.

6.jpg

His son shared his fate.

7.jpg

I'm really close to reformation now.

8.jpg

Still loving assasin button. Ok, it wouldn't help at once cause armies are already marching into Perm, but in future, weak Cumania means stronger Canaries.

9.jpg

Start of their conquest, without any resistance from my side.

Last edited:
This is absolutely insane xD. I don't think I've ever seen an AAR with such an eclectic mix of conquests. And I've never seen the Umayyads taken out almost completely in a single stroke, that's amazing. :D Props for conquering Russia with Canaries - I hope you can create the Empire of Russia as West African, convert the continent!

Good AAR
Who would have thought that Canarians could conquer Russia :D
Thx. I find it funny too, that as Canaries I control farthest south-western province in the map, at the same time having farthest north-eastern. Such decentralization. :p

This is absolutely insane xD. I don't think I've ever seen an AAR with such an eclectic mix of conquests. And I've never seen the Umayyads taken out almost completely in a single stroke, that's amazing. Props for conquering Russia with Canaries - I hope you can create the Empire of Russia as West African, convert the continent!
I can't create Russia, but surely I will convert everything I can! In detail, in next chapters I will even show religious map of Russia with some changes since the overview. In shortcut, more west african!

Europe
Small overview
XI century

Informations and mostly screens about some interesting things happen in the world.

1.jpg

In the early years of the game, those saxons conquered Cyprus... and now, almost 200 years later they're still holding half of the island.

2.jpg

After Seljuks fell apart, this happened. First time ever I see Persia held by zoroastrianism (well, it heresy) character. Something really extraordinary.

4.jpg

Persian kingdom at its greatest extent.

7.jpg

However, they ended as another victim of the Shia muslims... hope isn't lost cause still there're a lot of count-tier mazdaki rulers in Persia.

3.jpg

As for restorations, when cuman party taken over Hungary, it again became major player there.

6.jpg

They managed to take off Bavarians from their de-jure... but at high cost. Great Moravia is slowly expanding south.

9.jpg

Beauty of inheritance. Salians, who are starting as county somewhere in Karlings lands, in some way gained Venice with Ademar becoming first dodge of new republic in process.

8.jpg

Norway has indeed unique history.

10.jpg

At the end, heir to the kingdom of Burgundy. He's clearly diamond.

Very, very cool AAR. Glad I found this one before it's finished.

You might want to tell your spymaster (seen in 6th pic of chapter 20) to stop standing in the middle of the ocean.

So you're ceding single-provs to allow yourself to conquer whole kingdoms in subjugation CB? It seems holding onto your present lands would be more stable in the long run, as each conquest you save up for is then chopped up piece by piece whilst you await the next.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing a reformed West African! What expansion awaits? Is Cumania next? Or will you get revenge of Ruthenia?

Very, very cool AAR. Glad I found this one before it's finished.

You might want to tell your spymaster (seen in 6th pic of chapter 20) to stop standing in the middle of the ocean.

So you're ceding single-provs to allow yourself to conquer whole kingdoms in subjugation CB? It seems holding onto your present lands would be more stable in the long run, as each conquest you save up for is then chopped up piece by piece whilst you await the next.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing a reformed West African! What expansion awaits? Is Cumania next? Or will you get revenge of Ruthenia?

1. Thanks. Good to know there are still new people coming to my thread. Because of each of you it's so worth writing this aar. :)

2. Huh, it will be cool if every councilor would be placed on other island.

3. I'm allowing it when:
a) All my troops are replenishing and I can't defend.
b) When all my troops are away conquering something, so can't defend.
c) When I don't want to loose a lot of troops defending one prov, it isn't worth of it.
It's actually making all my conquests faster. I don't care about lands in Russia, those holdings are just my temporary blob base, nothing more.

4. Because of obvious... ekhem... (reformation) I will not be able to use subjugation once again. I wanted to annihilate pagan Cumania/Sweden just to post pic with big "Canaries" written in entire east, but it won't probably happen. But hey, there are Mongols in future so such approach will only save ma a lof of problems. The only reason why I went into Russia, because it was my last hope (at start I wanted to conquer British Isles) to create blob base with further easy conquests. Thanks to it, my AAR isn't boring one, with me existing in one prov... and it allowed me for some territorial gains in Mauretania.

What expansion awaits?
After war with Cumania, some conflicts around Maghreb will happen... and then, pretty big struggle with Sultanate of Africa.

Woops, forgot to ask this earlier: the "homemade" fix for attrition - what did you do exactly? Just raise force limits in west african provinces, or give west african religion the decreased attrition perk? Would love to see the actual code...

Woops, forgot to ask this earlier: the "homemade" fix for attrition - what did you do exactly? Just raise force limits in west african provinces, or give west african religion the decreased attrition perk? Would love to see the actual code...

In 00_religions.txt under west_african_pagan

Code:
priests_can_marry = yes
female_temple_holders = yes
allow_looting = yes
[b]defensive_attrition = yes[/b]
Just added that line.

Considering west african have aggression set to 0.1 and are doomed at start, they really should have that deleted by devs home attrition.

Chapter 24
1098 - 1107
Part IV

1.jpg

Emir of Toledo, from Taghlibid house (that one who ruled over Andalusia in Umayyads replacement) became independent after crusade ended.

2.jpg

But because he's OPM, he didn't survived the attacks from the south for the long time.

3.jpg

Another "release". Don't have time for dealing with peasants.

4.jpg

Yep, Marrakech is holy site.

5.jpg

Cumania only managed to get 56% warscore before my army replenished. What's even better, they lost a lot of soldiers due to attrition, events and assaults.

6.jpg

Minimal loss of soldiers.

7.jpg

After annihilating their army and re-conquering few provinces I got 0%, so young khan agreed for white peace.

8.jpg

Continuation of lovely blobing, yes, rush for reformation.

9.jpg

That's why I assasinated old Khan. New one, who lost war, lost army and lost his daddy is so liable for civil wars.

1.jpg

Got another claim, for last holy site. Deep in sunni lands, but who knows what will happen in following years.

2.jpg

Pretty powerfull Sultan of Africa declared holy war for that one county. I was having so much trouble getting it, only for loosing it now in such lame manner? No way!

3.jpg

Some host was trying to conquer remains of Umayyad Sultanate, had to kill him. Yes, little help for infidels but it would allow me for better control over entire region.

4.jpg

Another holy war for my lonely holy site... but this time, it's my damn salvation! You will see why.

5.jpg

Land of liberator and his army.

6.jpg

Retinues slowly winning war over Marrakech.

7.jpg

After few months liberator completely overrun that prov.

8.jpg

Now, there's trick. I can surrender to Africa (who can call A LOT of troops) without losing any lands. It will be much easier to defeat liberator with his 10k army than Africa with around 30k.

9.jpg

Another russian mobilisation. I just want to be sure that I will win, and they will be helpful with increasing moral authority.

1.jpg

When I wasn't looking, liberator and his army attacked my retinues. Ouch.

3.jpg

But at the start of it, he was killed leading to unexpected outcome.

2.jpg

4.jpg

Glorious victory.

5.jpg

But enemy forces weren't shattered. Once again canarian army defended their positions.

6.jpg

Without surprise, after local forces went south, new peasant demanded some lands.

7.jpg

Both wars were won in following months.

8.jpg

Heir and only living son is adult now. Unlucky with education, but in overall, not bad.

9.jpg

Revoked all holdings from Marrakech (my crown authority is high enough), giving then holy site to some west african priest.

In next chapter, going for reformation.

Last edited:
Chapter 25
1107 - 1115
Part V

1.jpg

At start (because you know, swimming in the gold) ordered building 5 temples.

2.jpg

Pagan troops from Russia are my core forces in raiding party.

3.jpg

After a lot of raids mainly in marked lands finally got 50%.

4.jpg

1111 year

A date to remember, first objective accomplished.

5.jpg

Count-tier priest ruler, who controlled one holy site became high priest of west african religion. Buggy? There is one common rule - highest priest vassal should become head of religion, and I had a lot od dukes-priests (that's why papa is so often head of tengri religion). If anyone have some explanations, I'm listening. Now, because he's head, everything will be a little harder.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Slowly forward. As with rulers, I had no problems with converting all of them to reformed faith.

6.jpg

However, when I was focusing on increasing moral authority... 3 peasant revolts happened in Mali. After reformation itself, some heresiach with his army appeared in the north.

1.jpg

When I was dealing with rebels, I had to give up another province to Ruthenia.

2.jpg

But at least Mali was cleared from vermin.

3.jpg

Info from the papa.

4.jpg

When I wasn't looking, rest of Umayyads were conquered. Those Ivarings are everywhere!

5.jpg

That's why I was complaining about that priest becoming head of religion. Just look at next screen:

6.jpg

Sultan of Africa managed to conquer Sicily form Byzantine... and he is thinking that we have chance against them? Such an idiot.

8.jpg

After few month his small army was defetaed, giving 76% warscore for sultan. After this, his province was assaulted and great holy war instantly ended, without any chances for some fair war.

7.jpg

In the meantime, assassinated another host. Good, my assassins are hard to control when bored.

9.jpg

Rather obvious move, but something for personal comfort.

1.jpg

Not challenge at all.

2.jpg

Getting better and better (and bigger).

3.jpg

Thanks to "defending" great holy war he got a hundreds of piety... my fault, should assasinated him.

4.jpg

Top - his armies
Bottom - my armies, and remember, most of them are in Russia so it will not be easy war.

5.jpg

In the close world something pleasant for eye happened. That king was italian duke, vassal of king of Italy. However, he changed his culture due to event, then rebelled for independence, won and created beautiful Aragon. For such things I'm playing this game.

HERE you can see, how it looked before creation of Aragon.

Last edited: