The very one thing i dont like with AI right now ...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

erekose123

Major
73 Badges
Sep 2, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Learning the game as France, this is my 3rd or 4th try, doing better each time.
But in every game its the same story : once i ally anyone, they feel they are unbeatable and declare war to everyone all the time ...

Right now i'm allied with Bavaria which is a strong german power.
Bavaria declared war on palatinate for conquest, then on Denmark, then on austria and finally on the ottomans. All that in like 10 years ...
Its easy : as soon as its truces end : WAR WAR WAR
this is getting boring after a while ...

What do you guys suggest be done about it? Obviously alliance shouldn't be a one way street, but I agree that you shouldn't feel dragged down by your allies.

1. Give some incentive to participating in war with AI. Prestige is good but the downsides largely outweigh the positives.
2. Force the player to actually participate in the war or risk losing the alliance - that way one cannot simply accept CtA without doing anything.
3. Perhaps keep track when and how the player accepts CtA. The AI could use this to determine if the player would likely help/accept.
3a. Relation with enemies
3b. CtA against previous powers of same size
3c. Manpower of player
3d. etc.

I assume that the AI takes its allies' military strength into consideration when declaring war, yes? I suppose that you could add a modifier based on an ally's war enthusiasm and war exhaustion: e.g. if an ally has low enthusiasm and/or high war exhaustion, then the AI doesn't just assume that it will be able to benefit from the ally's full military strength.

What do you guys suggest be done about it? Obviously alliance shouldn't be a one way street, but I agree that you shouldn't feel dragged down by your allies.

I would like an option for a defense-only alliance or an anything-goes alliance. It wouldn't solve everything, but it would help.

I used the AI in my advantage too sometime.
Huge France helped me beat Austria out of the southern Netherlands but this DID came with a price of them taking 1/2 of it in another war.

I would LOVE to see an indication of who the AI wants to attack, when it suggests an alliance, e.g. 'They tell us they are likely to attack The Ottomans in the near future' in the same popup as the alliance request. This would be great for immersion too.

"They tell us they are likely to attack France in the near future" - show them the door!

Send an event to the allied player nation "Hey buddy, I wanna declare on evil Ottomans, you are with me?"
Depending on the decision of the player to say yes or no the AI will reconsider its decision to declare war.

In my opinion the whole system with alliance leaders is flawed where minor partners are always fucked. When was your last time to give your ally something in the peace deal just because they helped you?

Maybe this is a silly idea, but here we go anyway: how about a foolproof system in which, if the AI wants to wage more than one war say every 3 years, it has to "ask" for your help. If you refuse and it goes to war anyway, you're not breaking the alliance. Kind of like the Civ 5 AI.

I would like an option for a defense-only alliance or an anything-goes alliance. It wouldn't solve everything, but it would help.

Agree. We need a Defensive Alliance and a Full Alliance. The difference being we can be called on a Defensive only if it's a DOW on the ally not them DOW someone else.