• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(709504)

Private
1 Badges
Mar 18, 2013
  • Impire
Just a quick bit of feedback on the new ladder system choices:

I must admit the ladders were getting annoying for me in longer games- every 5 minutes one had to simply interrupt everything to scramble back to base.

At first I was a bit worried that removing the ladders completely would make the game too easy. I'm happy to say that I was wrong- I never turn them on again. I'm very glad the designers listened to player feedback on this as opposed to going with what sounded right on paper. Choosing the no ladders option allows for a much more focused game, and in my humble opinion, much more enjoyable.

One idea though- it seems a bit of a shame that all that lovely ladder logic goes to waste. I'm sure that, with a wee bit of programming, a system can be introduced similar to "Evil Genius":

I'd dub this ladder choice "Dynamic ladders"

-When simply sticking to your base, no ladders appear.
-When doing the odd map mission to collect gold, materials or generally cause mayhem, a "heat" bar slowly fills, showing the people's dislike for you.
-The more frequent your map visits are, the faster the bar rises.
-Once the bar passes a specific point, the people of the realm take up arms, and ladders begin to appear in your dungeon, periodically.
-The higher your heat bar is, the harder the invasions are, OR the more frequent the ladders show up.
-If you stop doing map missions, the heat bar will slowly drop again, thus stopping the ladders once heat drops below the specific set point.

Should be easy to sort- add a heat resource, link it to a new interface bar, have it decrease by one every tick, and increase by 10 every map mission. Add a couple of set heat points, 5 or so. Every heat point passed adds one to the ladder spawn rate, from 0 to 5.