• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For the same reason you would have 17 different SSRs, 50 states or 32 counties.

You would but the job of administering each SSR etc would be fairly similar in terms of different jobs and their responsibilities and who they report to.

You would but the job of administering each SSR etc would be fairly similar in terms of different jobs and their responsibilities and who they report to.

I'm not following what you're saying. It's a simple administrative hierarchy, I'm just looking for another layer of it. SuperPope seems to have found it

I'm not following what you're saying. It's a simple administrative hierarchy, I'm just looking for another layer of it. SuperPope seems to have found it

A simple administrative hierarchy has defined roles for things like head of state, head of religion, tribal chieftain, local town councils etc

Why complicate things by mixing two different systems together? Doubtless the HRE had a different structure to the Byzantines. Easier to convert Byzantine structures to HRE ones.

Well isn't emperor a more relative term, couldn't any title hold the same meaning as emperor in other places, surely the petty kings of Ireland could be an 'emperor' with the High King a higher than emperor title, surely a title like emperor is only really relative to certain places. The entirety of what I said could just be nonsense, but it sounds right enough in my head

Well isn't emperor a more relative term, couldn't any title hold the same meaning as emperor in other places, surely the petty kings of Ireland could be an 'emperor' with the High King a higher than emperor title, surely a title like emperor is only really relative to certain places. The entirety of what I said could just be nonsense, but it sounds right enough in my head

In the same way that any title is just a name.

Here's the graph I was thinking of with regard to the Roman Emperor.

Rmn-mil-cmd-strct-4.png

The Senate was theoretically superior to Emperors, thus it is possible to have a body higher than Emperor (possibly making Senator higher than Emperor, in a legal sense).

Reactions:
Acording to wiki, the title of High Emperor is a thing.

It also gives three examples of titles above the rank of emperor

"Mahāsamraat, (Sanskrit: महान सम्राट) is an Ancient Indian title sometimes translated into modern English as "Great Emperor" or "High Emperor".
Padishahanshah, Persian pād "master" or "great" and shahanshah "King of Kings" a corruption of the Middle Persian and Future Iranian Padšāhān šāh, meaning "Great King's King" or "High King's King."
Yekhe Khagan, (a.k.a Supreme Khagan/Great Khagan/Grand Khagan/High Khagan), derived from The Great Khan of Khans or The High Khan of Khans, meaning "High Emperor", "Great Emperor", "Grand Emperor", or "Supreme Emperor" in the Mongol High Imperial State and successor imperial states."

Those don't really sound higher than Emperor in practice. The Irish High King wasn't ranked over the King of the Franks because he he had 'High' in his title.

You're unlikely to find a title aligned to what you what, which seems to be based more on CK2 conceptions than the way these things historically worked. At least before the 19th century, "Emperor" (and many equivalent terms in other languages) didn't really tend to mean "Someone who rules lots of kings" or even just "A ruler higher than a king." It tended to more mean someone who claims a form of universal monarchy, i.e. being the rightful ruler and sovereign of the entire world (or at least, the only part of the world that counts).

So being the ruler over lots of "emperors" doesn't really make any sense, unless you are going to be claiming that your own power is even higher than that of the entire world (which is, to go back the thread a bit, what several Popes claimed during the middle ages and the Papal-Imperial struggles).

Since emperors recognize no other earthly authority and answer only to their god (in theory), God-Emperor is the next step up.
Yea, I agree. "God-Emperor" is the only thing that could be considered over the title "Emperor".

Padishah was also used by the Ottomans. I dont know on paper but in reality Genghiz Khan or rather his successors came closest to call themselves something above Emperor IMO. At one Point they both had China and Persia under their Control and of course Roman Empire at its height.

From Wikipedia:

The title autokratōr was also revived by the early 9th century (and appears in coins from 912 on). It was reserved for the senior ruling emperor among several co-emperors (symbasileis), who exercised actual power. The term megas basileus ("Great Emperor") was also sometimes used for the same purpose.

I understand that some Byzantine emperors even claimed the title kosmokrator, 'Master of the Universe'. :)