• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hepzibah3

Second Lieutenant
3 Badges
Oct 31, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
The year is 1960. Georgy K Zhukov has just been pushed out of the Premiership by hardline Communists,principally backed by Nikita Khrushchev. The Cold War is at its peak; the Soviets have just added the United Arab Republic and Vietnam to
Warsaw, alongside Afghanistan. The Comintern is strong, in 1950 Marshall Tito accepted Stalin's dominance over Eastern Europe, and Zhukov (his successor) initiated a vast program of monetary aid to back up Warsaw nations. Khrushchev is convinced that with the US determining to stay back from European affairs, the time is now for the ultimate ideological struggle.

During the Civil Wars in Greece and China, the Soviets had offered full alliance to the Chinese, an offer they declined. Comrade Stalin declared war on the Greek Republicans and immediately allied himself with the Communists. The US and her NATO allies were extremely angry, but the US public demanded Truman not start the war over Greece. Indeed, there had been many flashpoints up until now that could have triggered a war; the Soviet alliance with Egypt (now the United Arab Republic) came shortly after Egyptian aggression against Israel,triggering an embargo on Soviet goods for 2 weeks from the Americans, and the American ambassador requesting his passport (an event usually reserved for war), but nothing
came of it, ultimately.

Party politics in the Soviet Union had went from one extreme to the next after the death of Stalin,with the moderates ultimately backing Zhukov because he was the lesser of the presumed evils;Beria and Bulganin.Many in the party also saw
Zhukov and the old Army leadership as men whom had ultimately saved the Union from the cataclysm of 1942. In 1958 the power struggle came to a head, with Zhukov desperately trying to save his job,ordering the invasion of Afghanistan
after they refused to accept an alliance offer after many years. Unfortunately for Zhukov, Party Hardliners wanted much,much more, and in 1959 demanded he invade the West by the following spring or face the axe. Zhukov felt that though
global communism had gained much ground since 1945, they were still too disunited to make global invasion. Khrushchev and the people who backed him saw the failure of Hungary's revolution to be proof that Warsaw was more united than it ever
was; indeed, Soviet troops did not even enter Hungary before the Hungarian government surrendered to Kremlin demands.

And so now, the year 1960 begins. Khrushchev has just been named Soviet premier, and Westerners everywhere are on high alert. These may be the pre dawn moments before the great Reckoning.

Prelude to War-Kremlin meeting of March 20th 1960.

Nikita Khrushchev walks into the small board room with a single idea on his mind; exporting Communism to the West like Trotsky had planned to do, surely in a room like this, so many years ago.Having just been made Head of Government and
Head of State under that single directive, his mission became all the more imperative now. He had set this meeting up in absolute secret, for the KGB informed him that Western spies were all over. He made a mental note to greatly increase intelligence funding in the coming year. He knew realistically that before he could start the war he would have to have a meeting with his top Advisers and this would be that meeting.

First up was Foreign Minister Vyacheslav M.Molotov, someone who Khrushchev had sparred with after Stalin's death but ultimately, Molotovs backing is what secured his success at the Premiership.

Khrushchev: Mr Molotov, what is our foreign affairs position for 1960?

Molotov:

This is our situation in North Vietnam. As you can see, our East German friends have provided some military support, but because our Navy is very weak and we do not share a common border with Ho Chi Minh, we cannot provide anything more than moral support and some limited financial assistance.We believe Minh will be unlikely to win the war against South Vietnam in the coming year, and since our Communist brethren further North continue to refuse us access to the strategic air base of Haikou, its unlikely they will be able to achieve a breakthrough anywhere.While we consider the north Vietnamese to be a tremendous asset in our cause to further Communism in southern Asia, we cannot spare the resources required to help them in the coming year, and so the foreign ministry recommends a very limited investment in our friends here.

Molotov: This is our situation in the Peoples Republic. As you may remember, at our urging the Chinese lent considerable support to Kim Il Sung's regime, at the risk of war for them. Thanks to this fact we have a certified established Communist state at the end of Asia and indeed on our borders. As you can see by their deployment of troops, all being in their mainland, we wonder how much of a commitment they have to the Comintern cause-

Khrushchev:I object Molotov.
Thats unfair to say, they do not have a navy same as us. They will be asked to defend their shores from an almost certain American invasion there when the war begins, we would rather they keep their troops at home. I do certainly notice they have a massive army all the same.They have most definitely embraced the concept of a popular Peoples War.

This is our situation in Communist Greece. As you may remember, at the end of Stalin's life, we provided a lot of assistance to them in helping them win the war. They have become able Communists and we hope they will be of much assistance in rendering impotent the treacherous NATO dog Turks. As far as an Army, we do not expect very much in the war from the Greeks. They are a noble people, sound of heart and sound of mind, and they have produced great literature and culture that the Western world puts on a pedestal. Our only hope for the Greeks is that when they finally reclaim Byzantium from their hated Enemy, that they might expand their army. Whatever assistance they offer us is much obliged however, as a Global Communist revolution is not created in a single day.

Khrushchev: I see a bit of light blue,what is that?

Molotov: Unfortunately,Nikita, when we intervened in Greece Stalin was nervous. We took over the mainland rapidly, but we did not finish the job for fear the smallest spark would have set off WW3. We were nowhere near as prepared for the clash of ideologies in 1951 and 1952 as we are today, but I think Nikolai will have some more on that later.Stalin accepted a peace deal, very much against my urging, with the Greeks that allowed the Republicans to maintain their independence on the Greek islands. Stalin felt at that time that attacking the Dodecanese would be dangerous, as the Red Navy was then very weak, and is still very weak and in need of much improvement.He doubted very much that our brave Captains could handle an invasion of that type.

Molotov:Last but not least, our most recent and possibly most important allies. The United Arab Republic aka Egypt/Syria. These are the only allies of ours that are not true Communists, nor have they ever claimed to be, but we value them extremely highly none the less. We are very hopeful that they can assist us in adding Turkey to the Comintern fold, either by asking Turkey to join the U.A.R. or by puppeting Turkey outright when the war begins, and we are also very hopeful they can end the war against the Greek republicans when the time comes to settle that
debt. We would also like to have the Saudis join the UAR, and we are considering offensive operations in this region to do that by the end of the year 1960.

Khrushchev: Ok, thank you Molotov, id like to conclude the foreign affairs briefing of this meeting now. You have explained a lot to me and I thank you very much Comrade.

Khrushchev hands Molotov a bottle of vodka and they share a merry laugh.

Last edited:
I think he played from 1945/50 which the new world mod allows you to.
Anyway,nice set up.

I wanted to provide an in game explanation for the situations in Greece and Korea.

I offered NorKO several good trade deals when the war started, but because of my plans for Greece/Turkey (it was either or at the time, id have preferred Turkey obviously) I could not risk outright intervention.Because the USSR boycotts the
UN around the time of the Korean War, I was also unable to veto it, so it left me with the very uneasy position of simply telling Zhou to do as much as he could, and hoping the dice rolled my way. Sure enough, it did. Pyongyang was encircled no less than 4 times, but eventually the NorKO army broke through. I was obviously elated by this development,but I couldnt offer full alliance to them until the war was over (I was not, in the least bit, ready for WW3 in 1951.)

As far as Greece goes; yeah what Molotov said is basically spot on. I was too afraid of the possibility that an overwhelming USN/RN force would appear in the Med and undo everything I fought so hard for that in region.A mostly Communist Greece for now, coupled with the possibility that at some point in the future the Comintern could muster naval force necessary to end Republican Greece later, was very appealing to me at that point.

I urge you to continue reading the AAR, I promise the war is going to start on June 22nd 1961. But the reason for a years delay is going to be made apparent shortly; its not a surprise and I imagine many of you already know the reason.

As a side note, if anyone who is of far better writing quality than i would like to write a story based on the adventures of the 21st Mekanized Korps on their journey from Moscow to Madrid, or the retreat of the French 2nd army from Rostock to Washington DC in a narrative AAR, id be more than willing to share the save. I VERY much want a story of that type written, this AAR deserves it.

invade china before they get nukes and mao goes epic backstabbing of ussr (which usa later supported because ussr got a stomach ache in their soft underbelly)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Soviet_border_conflict

My relationship with Mao has been mostly cordial, and I am convinced that once he sees Red tanks rolling into Madrid, he will join the Comintern and we can finally create my long dreamed of South East Asia Beijing Pact.

Like I said on steam :p I can't wait to see the world painted Red.

Do you think we can get a world map pic displaying NATO and Warsaw? So we can get a global pic of whom supports whom.

Khrushchev: Nikolai, before we get into the nitty gritty of this meeting, id like to announce to all of you
gathered here that the target date for our offensive against the West is June 22nd 1961.

(The room goes into utter silence for a moment. Bulganin looks as if he is about to have a heart attack, Molotov is completely stunned.Everyone else in the briefing shares a look of extreme terror, except for
Lazar Kaganovich, the extremely able Arms Minister. Kaganovich is seen to begin writing several things on a notepad, he then looks up as Khrushchev continues.)

June 22nd 1941, Adolph Hitler and his Fascist minions
launched the unfathomable invasion of our Motherland. As many of you may remember, 3 years to the
day later, we began Operation Bagration-the offensive that ultimately removed the Fascist threat from
the Motherland. 20 years to the day after Operation Barbarossa was launched to stopper global communism forever, we now launch the operation to remove capitalism from Europe.June 22nd 1961 will be a day remembered forever in history, the day we fulfilled the promises of Lenin and Trotsky.I am finished now, Bulganin give us your report on the Armed Forces of our Great Motherland.

Bulganin: Comrade Khrushchev, after the shock you just gave me its a real wonder i am in any position to make any accounting of anything whatever, but I am pleased to report that we ourselves field 420
divisions along the lines of probable attack in Eastern Europe, and our allies,all combined, field a total of 934 divisions (when combined with ours.)Our army numbers 5,884,550 men.

(now its Khrushchev's time for shock.....

Nine Hundred and Thirty Four divisions,Comrade Bulganin!?!?! How can those figures be correct!I understood global communism was on the rise....but those numbers seem almost impossible.....

Bulganin: Allow Comrade Molotov to explain this better.

Molotov: Just before Stalin died, he reversed a long standing Comintern policy to not provide extensive aid to our puppets. Once he reversed this policy, their industrial capacity all began to grow substantially, and his final 5 year plan (1945-1950) began to pay dividends. Our industrial might grew from the high 300s in 1944 to the absurdly high level of 727 that it is at now,but this is not my area of expertise. Our

This picture accurately shows the situation in Eastern Europe to an extent.

Bulganin: Our Armies are very strong, Comrade Khrushchev, and obviously very massive. However, they require nearly 1400IC in upgrades to be fully modernized.

Khrushchev: Bulganin, I see you have ordered the production of several brand new T-55 divisions all the while our forces require double our IC to be properly modernized. Do you care to inform the Politburo as to why?

Bulganin: Yes,Nikita I can. We have ordered these divisions at my urging, because I believe that since our intended line of breakthrough will be at Fulda, we must have modern tank divisions to exploit the
breakthroughs and encircle the West German/NATO divisions.I am also going to order 5 divisions of paratroopers once the tank divisions are completed, because I believe they will be crucial if you are still insistent on the United Kingdom operation,and in Italy they may be essential,since we have not allocated as many divisions for that operation as I would like.

(Khrushchev scoffs loudly at Bulganin's suggestion and murmured something to him about following orders from superiors)

Ultimately,Mr Khrushchev, this is what we will face at immediate first contact next summer.

You will notice there are 10 enemy divisions on every province we border. You will also notice that it appears there is no NATO support at all for those German divisions. It is reasonable to believe we can encircle the entire West German army if we act swiftly enough.

Khrushchev: I will consider that carefully, but ultimately probably opt against that option Nikolai. In our United Germany, it must have an army.

Gentlemen, this is the map of our likely enemies (all the members of NATO minus their puppets. Turkey is excluded because they dont fit on the map. All the nations shaded in the light blue are states that will declare war when the first Soviet tank crosses the Fulda Gap.

Shaded in dark are our allies. Shaded in red are the nations we are considering action against. You will notice the proposal to join Saudi Arabia to the United Arab Republic is something we are considering worthy of potential military action.

Khrushchev: I believe this should conclude our meeting for 1960. We should do another one, though much briefer, on this same date next year as it will be just prior to the invasion. Lazar, we have yet to hear from you. Do you have anything to say? Do you agree with our plan to invade next June?

Kaganovich: Yes Comrade I do. I believe that waiting any longer than that will allow NATO to regain their footing and oppose us in depth. We must act and it must be decisive. I agree that a year and a month wait period is perfect time to finish our modernization of the army and consolidate our regime.

Bulganin is heard to scoff loudly again

Khrushchev: If you have something to say, say it, Mr bulganin.....

Bulganin: I think our path is suicidal and what you are trying to do will doom the USSR.

Khrushchev: Mr Bulganin, you are dismissed immediately. I will not have this defeatist pessimism. The Union will rise and prosper, and global Communism will reign from Moscow to Madrid by 1963.

you freed kurdistan? really? with those borders? ;D

You might notice they have Mosul and some Iraqi areas. I have absolutely no idea how they got them, but evidently it had something to do with the UAR being formed and Iraq wanting to give territory to the other friendly nation in the area.I wanted Kurdistan free as a way to say F-U to the US for imposing harsher than OTL terms on Germany in reparations,and that turned into my other desire to install a Communist leader in Iran at some point in the future.

This had the double bonus of almost starting WW3 and then not starting it because the US refused to engage me over Kurdistan AND Greece in the same year. I gave myself a huge pat on the back for that.

This had the double bonus of almost starting WW3 and then not starting it because the US refused to engage me over Kurdistan AND Greece in the same year. I gave myself a huge pat on the back for that.

you deserve it bro :D murrica feeling weak from the start, i like it, i will accept your gc if go for one. :)

you deserve it bro :D murrica feeling weak from the start, i like it, i will accept your gc if go for one. :)

No I wont annex the whole world, I have a REALLY hard time with doing overly gamey stuff,hence i didnt annex Afghanistan I only puppeted it.

I will,however,puppet most of the Western world......if i can find a suitable replacement for the newly gulaged Minister of War.

On September 15th 1960, after a summer of intense upgrade with commanders desperately trying to discard their obsolete tanks,half tracks and trucks in time, the Soviet Unions program of modernization was completed. 10 new Tank Divisions of 1956 quality were ordered to coincide with the 5 already built, and the decision was made to nuke South Vietnam as soon as possible.

Khrushchev conferred with Chief of Staff Antonov and Chief of the Air Force Voroshilov and they agreed, that once the technology "Nuclear Proliferation was researched we would move to forcefully end the Vietnam war and secure Ho Chi Minh's southern borders for him. All of this must occur before I-Day.

On January 27th 1961, the Russian Bear awoke angrily. Word had spread among the GDR forces stationed in Vietnam that the South Vietnamese army was planning a massive offensive to unite the 2 Vietnams. Ho Chi Minh immediately appealed to Molotov at the Politburo.

Molotov (speaking through a translator): We do not understand, what do you mean a massive offensive!?!

Minh: We believe that the Western allies are planning to enter the Vietnam war on the side of the South on February 12th 1961. We need Soviet advisers immediately to come in and help our forces end this conflict for good.

Molotov: I will contact the GDR Head of Staff immediately and ask him if he will lend his forces in your offensive.

Molotov immediately dials up Khrushchev,who is awoken at 0300 in an absolute rage.

Khrushchev: Molotov, call Antonov and tell him "Case Orange" is in immediate effect.

Molotov:Khrushchev.....are you sure? This decision may draw the Western allies in to the war now.There have only ever been 2 nukes used on nations in the history of the world....What will Minh think???We are destroying the land he is to inherit.

Khrushchev: 5 months from this day we are scheduled to break into Fulda. I believe if they enter now, it will not injure us too much. I spoke to Antonov last night, he said we are ready now and the sooner the better.

Khrushchev hangs up the phone and leaves Molotov in his room stunned.

Molotov calls up Antonov as well as GDR head of state Walter Ulbricht.

Molotov: Walter, we need you to commit all your forces in Vietnam for an immediate offensive. Antonov; Case Orange is in effect.

Molotov hangs up on Ulbricht and reminds Antonov separately that Soviet forces need to be deployed further along the axes of attack.

Antonov: Molotov remember the paratroopers that Bulganin ordered last year? The Italian capitalist dogs delayed them, they will not be ready for war until almost 10 days into mobilization!

Molotov: That matters not, what i ask you to do now is far more important.And Antonov, one more thing, Khrushchev is still sticking to his guns, the West is to be invaded on June 22nd! Thats not even 5 months away!Do you think we can sustain the pressure needed for an invasion of the type comrade Khrushchev is proposing?

Antonov: Molotov my comrade, it is not 5 months away. But we are at our point of maximum readiness. The more time we wait, the stronger the West grows. We must act on I-Day. I-Day is the culmination of the entire Bolshevik revolution, and if we fail, Communism fails with us.

Last edited:
I hope no nukes go on Vietnam. I'd rather target Gibraltar and the Suez Canal.