• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OlaHaldor

Captain
15 Badges
Jan 12, 2011
www.colorist.no
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Lead and Gold
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Cities: Skylines
I was looking for a way to build a city or part of a city. Since you can't import textures or graphics into the game, I started looking for extensions or apps that would force Chrome to be on top of other windows, and at the same time be transparent.

I found a similar solution. By installing a freeware app, "See Through Windows" (download from his website), I can set exactly what value of transparency to use. And I can have any window become transparent. Even CiM2! I have only tried this in windowed mode, and I don't think it'll work in fullscreen.

Placing Chrome in the background with the mapping service of my choice, I put CiM2 on top of Chrome, and made CiM2 transparent. I can now draw roads "on top of" the map view.
cim2maps.jpg

Hope we'll see real world cities soon! :D

Last edited:
Judging by the in-game stats when building a road and using the grids in underground mode:

100m ~ 7 squares
200m ~ 13 squares
500m ~ 32 squares

Knowing this, you could zoom in on your desired city and have the scale of the map set to 100m, 200m or 500m.
Boy, I really wish there was info like this when constructing roads in the Map Editor. Seeing the distance of the road section you're building to better judge how long there's between intersections or in this case, to find the correct scale.

The zoom luckily snaps to just about 7 squares (using the scale according to Google maps)! :)
Notice the contrast has been modified to make it easier to see in this screenshot.
cim2maps2.jpg

And a few screenshots after about 10-15 minutes of laying roads, placing a few buildings for the generator to notice and generate similar in the area.
CIM2 2013-04-25 09-46-38-74.jpg CIM2 2013-04-25 09-46-31-79.jpg CIM2 2013-04-25 09-46-22-14.jpg

Last edited:
cheers thanks for the info... ive been using a similar program called "ghost it" with the same premise. The road/scale thing can be tricky tho, especially when moving the map/editor to line up again when moving along the map you are editing. and also important to keep the map 100% flat - no tilts all the way through etc or else then the streets dont line up.....

I agree, that's pretty neat.

However, it's a nightmare for me to try to work with.

Getting a map in Google Chrome to a transparent value that makes the editor still workable for me proved impossible plus the constant moving around in both the editor and map and keeping them lined up properly proved to be time consuming that really necessary.

Much simpler (for those that have dual or more monitors) to keep a view of the map up on one monitor and simply "eyeball" it in the map editor. I think when I'm done with Addison Mountains (a fictional map) I will likely put up a real world map of someplace like the San Fernando valley in California on my 2nd monitor and just wing it, or eyeball it to try to create a map that is at least based on a real life location even if I don't take it to the point of drawing every last street.

Truly a much better solution would be something that needs to come from CO, one mentioned above to project an image onto the terrain, which would be snapped onto the landscape so that it does not shift, and will rotate with the camera etc and still be transparent enough to allow you to see what you've placed as far as roads, buildings etc

Great contribution Ola! Well explained both here and in the video! Seems like a great and perhaps more user friendly alternative to using the 1km grid as the reference.

Added this thread, the video tutorial and the overlay app to the list back at Realistic City Fanatics.

Looking forward to seeing the maps everyone comes up with! I find transportation networks based on real cities to be much more fun to play with. When given totally free hands creating a fictional map the layout often becomes too perfect. We tend to ignore the reality of slow progressing city planning in an existing populated environment and the compromises that comes with that reality, as has been the case with almost every major city in the world.

cheers thanks for the info... ive been using a similar program called "ghost it" with the same premise. The road/scale thing can be tricky tho, especially when moving the map/editor to line up again when moving along the map you are editing. and also important to keep the map 100% flat - no tilts all the way through etc or else then the streets dont line up.....
I also find when shifting the map and editor It is very difficult to line it up again. It just needs a smaller increment when shifting so you don't overshoot. Very frustrating

As have been suggested by people before, we need a "reset view" button that aligns the camera perfectly in all axis.

Another problem i'm having is that the camera height is relative to the ground elevation. It makes maintaining the correct zoom level difficult after the topographical editing is done.