• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rybeck

Sergeant
42 Badges
Jul 5, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • 500k Club
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
The title says it all. I'm playing NGF and I have about 13 generals but a lot of them are awful. In fact, they seem to get worse the more I create (the latest one had -88% morale). Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting good leaders? Or is it just down to luck?

The title says it all. I'm playing NGF and I have about 13 generals but a lot of them are awful. In fact, they seem to get worse the more I create (the latest one had -88% morale). Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting good leaders? Or is it just down to luck?

Only luck, I'm afraid. Though you should compare the bad generals to the no-face default general. There is a good chance of many of the poor ones being better then the silhouette general.

This was one of the points I had hoped would be improved with HoD; the more leadership points you "pay" for a general/admiral the better his traits... don't think it will happen.

But Meanmanturbo is right; even an inept commander will (almost) always be better than no commander at all.

Generally (sorry) speaking, any general is better than no general. The exceptions are mostly situational, and the one you particularly mention (-88% morale) can be worked around by swapping out all but one of the general in question's brigades when he isn't actually in combat :)