• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hardcore_gamer

General
47 Badges
Aug 1, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Prison Architect
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
I like the great power system, but I have a few problems with it. The biggest is that the top 8 nations are always great powers no matter what.

I think there should be some minimum score that a nation needs to have in order to be a great power. Its annoying how no matter what you do, there are ALWAYS at least 7 other great powers to challenge you. It should be a possible strategy to just systematically dismantle other great powers to a point that they are no longer great powers to remove the threat that they pose to you in the hopes that after a while there are no great powers except your own. I think it is stupid that even small countries with no real power can become great powers and use their great power abilities against you simply because there is some weird rule that says that the top 8 most powerful countries are ALWAYS great powers.

So I suggest a change: Only 8 powers can be great powers at a time like before, but there still has to be a certain minimum score that a nation must have in order to be considered a great power.

Thoughts?

I think prestige should have less of an effect. Perhaps only half of your prestige is applied to your GP score. That would cut down on random German minors ending up as GPs due to lucky events.

I think prestige should have less of an effect. Perhaps only half of your prestige is applied to your GP score. That would cut down on random German minors ending up as GPs due to lucky events.

That almost never happens. The only German 'minor' I ever see as a GP is Bavaria. It should probably happen less often, but it's not implausible.

By the time you've dismantled every other country in the world to the point that they'd be ineligible as Great Powers, you have already won the game. Possibly several decades ago, in fact.
I don't quite see how important any rules changes by that point could be.

Prestige is the Only way a "Second-Rate" Power like Spain or Ottoman's can remain in the club......even with Player intervention.

Because their Population is illiterate they can't really keep up with the true big boys in industrialization and/or afford a huge military. Especially at end of game....(Dreadnoughts anyone) without Prestige.

The role of Secondary powers needs to be refined. Great Powers would then be the greatest of those Secondary Powers.

Well if you only want GB, Russia, France, USA, NGF and maybe Austria as GP's then those changes make sense I guess.

There's been much debate about whether USA is GP in the beginning or not...
I think I prefer USA to start as Secondary Power, in the ranks of 9-10, to which they could climb to a Great Power status easily (and looking more historical with their expansion to the Pacific coast).....
And to address "helping Texas against Mexico", I suggest an event...

There's been much debate about whether USA is GP in the beginning or not...
I think I prefer USA to start as Secondary Power, in the ranks of 9-10, to which they could climb to a Great Power status easily (and looking more historical with their expansion to the Pacific coast).....
And to address "helping Texas against Mexico", I suggest an event...

What 8-9 powers would you put ahead of them? The US in the early 19th century was absolutely seen as a significant player, and somewhat special. The Brits especially felt this way (in traditional 19th century fashion, they assumed that as fellow Anglo-Saxons the US was destined for greatness), but similar echoes are in other countries.

The role that the US played in the Americas, in particular, is best modeled as a GP from the beginning. Leaving aside Texas, they were seen as something of an inspiration for many of the Latin American revolutionaries (not that they necessarily got along, but they were seen as important, just as the French Revolution was). American trade and merchant marine were already significant, and American industry was already a factor. Were they the top GP? Of course not, but they were absolutely one of the top 8.

Anyway, a US intervention in Texas event would be ahistorical, since America didn't directly intervene in the war.