• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(185867)

Private
3 Badges
Dec 25, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
I have Victoria II with the last patch, and I like playing starting with an uncivilized country... actually, I did *rolleyes*

You need 50 military score for westernization. This score makes me crazy :mad: It seems to depend on soldiers POP (it takes a lot of time to drive it high and has only little impact to compare with generals... lovely...), generals (they keep dying like flies) and possibly military technology (not sure). The first question: is it correct? Are there all ways to increase the score?

But. If you are in war, your score is higher, maybe 15-20 points more (and this is a lot). Now, in the same day then you peace out you can pause and the score is still high, so you can westernise, if everything else is met.

Not, the impotant question:

Is this an exploit or not?

I think about an AAR, but I am not sure, if this way will be ok. On the other side, I don't want to wait another stupid couple of years just for enough soldiers POP and a fair amount of oddly alive generals, if I see this opportunity immediately displayed to me. But... is it fair? For readers, for example? :confused:

Does the AI do the same or not?

If it doesn´t then obviously it´s an exploit, because you are doing something the engine shouldn´t allow.

IIRC in AHD you don't need to have 50 military score, but enough reforms and modernisations to do so

What Tabris01 said. Your observation is true, but irrelevant to the state of the complete game. AHD has a new westernization system based entirely on research points.

I don't think it's really an exploit - Military Score is computed by how much supplies your troops are using, and obviously going to war is going to increase that. It's just barely skirting working-as-designed, but since people spam navies with little to no regard for realism either just to get their Military Score increased, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over using the supply consumption spike to jumpstart your Westernization. It's virtually the same thing.

I'd say it's an acceptable exploit. Sure, the AI is probably never going to go to war with the express purpose of raising its military score to westernize. But it's not like the reasonable alternatives for most countries are significantly less gamey.

Of course a better option would probably be getting AHD and the different westernizing mechanics :)

Just download Popular Demand Mod, there you don't need any gimmicky trick to westernize and it's much more intuitive and supirior to the vanilla westernization